Weight Lifters Fi
Aug 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #61 of 127
It would be so much easier if someone just layed out a plan for your diet and monthly exercise routines. Mostly i've dabbled here and there, went to a gym for a while and did cardio/agility stuff with the weight machines thrown in. Eventually stopped going to the gym, discovered stronglift.com and built the rack they tell people to build over there for free weights. The family has started doing this "Insanity" workout DVD a few times a week and i like to bicycle a few times a week.

I don't really know what i'm doing so eventually i lose motivation and the diet isn't that great either. Also i'm definitely not quitting beer
tongue_smile.gif
The one thing i can count on is the cycling since it allows you to travel outdoors and it doesn't have to be that intensive. I'm 5'11'' and about 210lb so i sure would like to turn some of the fat into muscle. I totally forgot about scoobysworkshop.....oh and my brother is buff as heck! He takes steroids though and they may or may not have played a role in him getting cancer.

My mom still goes to the gym by herself but she hasn't lost any weight either, the funny/sad thing is my dad doesn't even bother working out anymore and he was the one who signed us up for a gym membership
frown.gif
Where's Jack Lalanne when you need um?

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #62 of 127
Quote:
I lift i weights too, but currently I am trying to cut weight :/ . Anyway I have to get down to 175/180ish and then I'll be happy. Already dropped 40lbs from 240. I seriously need to improve my bench though. Any tips?
I can only bench 135...

Push-ups. Lots of pushups. That's the best way to get better at bench (besides benching) IMO. For people trying to lose weight, I'd normally recommend a focus on reps over weight. 4 sets of 10-15 reps (with a lower weight) will help you tone and burn fat. Depends on the exercise. But if you want to be able to bench more, you have to push the envelope, meaning you should try doing more weight, less reps.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #63 of 127
Quote:
Push-ups. Lots of pushups. That's the best way to get better at bench (besides benching) IMO. For people trying to lose weight, I'd normally recommend a focus on reps over weight. 4 sets of 10-15 reps (with a lower weight) will help you tone and burn fat. Depends on the exercise. But if you want to be able to bench more, you have to push the envelope, meaning you should try doing more weight, less reps.

Alright thanks. During football season Ill try to cut a bit (nothing too drastic though). The problem is that I have trouble doing push-ups because I am both heavy and have a weak chest. As soon as I get to a lower weight, Ill start doing that. :/

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #64 of 127
Quote:
This very similar to how I train - after 8 years of "bro logic", I finally switched away from a 4 day split to started on more frequent lower volume training cycles.  Full body 3 times a week is definitely the best bang for the buck if you're diet and recovery are in check.  Throw in some periodization and it's an excellent combo.

Yea I'd like to apply alot of what REdcarmoose said, eating more fats did help me tbh and by fats I do mean olive oils and fattier meats [and by fattier I mean with better marbleing]

Primilism always applead to me, get big by eating and doing the right things! 

and at Prakhar I think I'm benching like 110 lbs at 3x6 :x so I feel you, the most I ever got to was about 125 3x12, On an every other day alternating weekly routine. I always did the 30-45 min work out, my home gym is rather small to

I was doing my Bench set's inbetween my other sets, skipping the recovery and just working a diferent muscle group, which was working out nicely! Sadly I never got as Routine as I wanted to and stopped doing it for a while, but I started again Yesterday.

Optimally I'd like to use my Off days for some Cardio, like bike riding!

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #65 of 127
Yeah, sadly I cant lift right now... I have football... xD
Anyway, its a pain trying to cut weight. And my bench improved over summer slightly but the improvements probably gone now

Here are my stats for the lolz

Bench 145 x 5
Squat 300 x 5
Deadlift 400 x 5
Hangclean 155 x 5

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #66 of 127
Oh and sorry for another post but its not letting me edit my last one.

Does anyone have tips for cutting?
I am 5'1'' and 205 currently and want to get to 175ish before bulking again. Normally I just drop to about 1500 calories a day, and exercise every day but its always annoyingly tough. 
Is what I am doing healthy?

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #67 of 127
I do a 9 week cycle, current routine is pasted from Excel below.  Keep them all organized with dates to switch so I don't lose track.

Reps go down as each routine progresses, sets stay the same.  While reps go down, the weight goes up.

The last set of *most* lifts I do as a drop set (normal weight to set rep limit, then drop weight 3-4 times till failure) other routines I do "super sets" to transition between lifts.

I work night shifts with quite a bit of unplanned/unvoluntary overtime (Fed prison) and food is often non-existant so diet and schedule *can* be difficult but I've lost 60lbs in 9 months, shifting to a leaner build (currently 6'1" 233lbs) rather than my old power lifting days in college (6'1" ~295).

Diet: 
Meal 1 - Oatmeal + 1 egg/3 egg whites (with salsa or peppers) + greek yogurt (fat free) + green tea
Pre-workout - NO Xplode or Nitro Tropic (cheap as hell on eBay if you can find it) I plan on trying something new soon when I can afford it
Workout - Water
Post-workout/Meal 2 - Cheap whey protein + small scoop creatine
Meal 3 - (After I get to work) Chicken and rice, or tilapia and rice, or  big can of tuna in water with lemon and pepper
Meal 4 - (Still at work) Green tea + some sort of vegetable (asparagus more often than not) + banana or apple or kiwi or cottage cheese w/ pineapple
Meal 5 - Whey Protein shake, I blend with some cooked oatmeal, a little peanut butter and  scoop of cottage cheese (can't taste it at all, sounds gross though :p)
Meal 6 - Casein protein shake when I get home from work in the morning

Meal 4 and 5 are interchangeable, I try to get 200-220g of protein per day.  I don't count calories or worry about meal synergy, just breakfast I try to have some fat + carbs + protein and have seen great results.

I "cheat" on one of my days off usually, or stay solid with the routine if I get stuck at work and have to eat some unhealthy prison food :wink:

Currently I do the back/biceps and chest/triceps routine in one day.  Pure abs and cardio the next, and shoulders/legs on day 3.  Cardio/abs day 4 and then rest for 1 or 2 days (depends on work) but I do  a lot more cardio than I used to since I'm trying to get in "running" shape for  a few job applications I have in.

I find it infinitely harder to stay on a good schedule when working nights, workouts suffer since I average about 4 1/2 hours of sleep but creating a static routine helps keep me there till the end.

At 233lbs currently I:
Bench ~335 (I never have a spotter and seperated my shoulder in April so I don't push hard on bench)
Squat ~??? (no squat rack at our crappy gym :frowning2:)
Hack Squat ~405
Leg Press ~828 (all the 45 lb plates we have)
Deadlift ~405 (hurts the shoulder still)

[size=medium]Exercise[/size] [size=medium]Sets[/size] [size=medium]Reps[/size] [size=medium]Weight[/size] [size=medium]Rest[/size]
[size=small]Pushups (warmup)[/size] [size=small]2[/size] [size=small]10 to 20[/size] [size=small]Bodyweight[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Reverse Grip Bench[/size] [size=small]5[/size] [size=small]15, 12, 10, 8, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1.5 min[/size]
[size=small]Machine Fly[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]15, 12, 12, 10 [/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Incline Bench[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]12, 6, 8, 10[/size] [size=small]Light then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1.5 min[/size]
[size=small]Decline Dumbbell Fly[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]10, 10, 10[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Laying Triceps Extension[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]15, 12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Single Arm Dumbbell Kickback[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Rope Extension[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]10, 15, 20[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Light[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Dips[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]Max[/size] [size=small]Bodyweight[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]

[size=small]Wide Grip Pullups[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]Max[/size] [size=small]Bodyweight[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Dead Lifts[/size] [size=small]5[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 8, 6, 5[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]T-Bar Row[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]15, 12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Seated Cable Row[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]12, 12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Barbell Curl[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Light then Moderate[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Dumbbell Hammer Curl[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]15, 8, 8, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]35 sec[/size]
[size=small]Concentration Curl[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]10, 12, 15[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]35 sec[/size]
[size=small]Underhand Cable Pulldowns[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]max[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Light[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]

[size=small]Seated Military Dumbbell Press (straight up)[/size] [size=small]5[/size] [size=small]15, 10, 10, 8, 6[/size] [size=small]Very light then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1.5 min[/size]
[size=small]One Arm Dumbbell Press[/size] [size=small]2[/size] [size=small]15, 15[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]40 sec[/size]
[size=small]Dumbbell Lateral Raise[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]40 sec[/size]
[size=small]Seated Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]40 sec[/size]
[size=small]Barbell Upright Row[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]12, 10, 8, 8[/size] [size=small]Moderate then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Barbell Shrug[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]12, 12, 12, 12[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Hanging Knee Raise[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]10 to 20[/size] [size=small]Bodyweight[/size] [size=small]40 sec[/size]
[size=small]Exercise Ball Crunches[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]10 to 20[/size] [size=small]Bodyweight[/size] [size=small]40 sec[/size]

[size=small]Leg Extension[/size] [size=small]4[/size] [size=small]15, 15, 15, 15[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Hack Squat (bar behind legs)[/size] [size=small]5[/size] [size=small]15, 15, 10, 10, 8[/size] [size=small]Light then Heavy[/size] [size=small]1.5 min[/size]
[size=small]Leg Press[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]8, 8, 8[/size] [size=small]Heavy[/size] [size=small]2 min[/size]
[size=small]Calf Raises[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]15, 15, 15[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Stiff Leg Deadlift[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]15, 12, 10[/size] [size=small]Light then Moderate[/size] [size=small]1 min[/size]
[size=small]Lying Leg Curl[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]12, 12, 10[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]45 sec[/size]
[size=small]Walking Lunges[/size] [size=small]3[/size] [size=small]24 steps[/size] [size=small]Moderate[/size] [size=small]1.5 min[/size]

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #69 of 127
I just started to go to the gym. I figured it was enough time I'm out of shape. My diet has gotten much better but still some things I can improve on esp since there are some days I don't get the chance to eat as many meals as I'd like.

I been doing the stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week and then  2 or 3 other days I either do an ab workout at home or light cardio at the gym. The other days are off days where I recover as needed.

Also thats a crazy list of exercises.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #70 of 127
Quote:
You bench 335?!?!? 
eek.gif

405 in college, but I was 60lbs heavier then too.  Admittedly, in school I spent too much time on the bench and didn't have a real routine so overall I'm in much better shape now.  I can't believe how much faster gains I see doing a strict routine that is well balanced than before just doing whatever felt good.

Quote:
I just started to go to the gym. I figured it was enough time I'm out of shape. My diet has gotten much better but still some things I can improve on esp since there are some days I don't get the chance to eat as many meals as I'd like.

I been doing the stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week and then  2 or 3 other days I either do an ab workout at home or light cardio at the gym. The other days are off days where I recover as needed.

Also thats a crazy list of exercises.

Stick with it!

If you really want to get back into it, check out Kris Gethin's programs, you can skip half of the days and diet and still see good results :D

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #71 of 127
Quote:
Stick with it!

Is the best Advice you can get, I only have maybe 300lbs max on my Bench bar so I try to stick low and slowy work up [+10 every 2 weeks] Seeing as I can max out pretty quick if I get to into it

but when I was regular I was getting bulkier and more toned! I havn't lost much [except for overall strenght] so just stick with it and you'll see results! 

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #72 of 127
Best advice to those trying to get the chest developed, don't listen to the majority of people recommending you to do barbell benchpresses. I never do them and I have a really huge chest. Push-ups, and dumbbell benchpresses together are 10x more effective than the barbell benchpress.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #73 of 127
Quote:
Best advice to those trying to get the chest developed, don't listen to the majority of people recommending you to do barbell benchpresses. I never do them and I have a really huge chest. Push-ups, and dumbbell benchpresses together are 10x more effective than the barbell benchpress.

Well I'm a quality over Quanity kinda of guy, but yea I feel you! I might end up doing em both who knows. Just wanna be Strong like an Ox!

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #74 of 127
Quote:

Is there a reason for that? I'm not sure which I like better but the barbell I don't like how the angle my hands are limited to the shape of the barbell but with dumbells i can go whichever angle I want if that makes sense.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #75 of 127
Quote:
Is there a reason for that? I'm not sure which I like better but the barbell I don't like how the angle my hands are limited to the shape of the barbell but with dumbells i can go whichever angle I want if that makes sense.

I'd recommend reading this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/107367-dumbbell-press-vs.-bench-press/

When I started with gym it was just more "natural" for me and I felt a lot more gains by doing dumbbells benchpresses. Not mentioning the fact that I wouldn't need a partner to spot me if I was in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back