Weight Lifters Fi
Oct 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #106 of 127
Quote:
Yea Caffeine and Sugar I'm not a fan off. Caffeine is a drug for starters and I'd like not to be addicted and I put a little sugar in my Oatmeal so I might as well stick with good ole cheap oatmeal.

Although I do like a little Whey Protein after I workout, so I'm not excluding that, I've also wanted to start taking Amino Acids [one called BCCA (Or BCAA)] as part of my pre and or post work out, as I read some articles mentioning it was able to be used more directly by your muscles for energy or rebuilding.

For what it is worth, NOXplode and most other pre-workout nitric oxide boosters contain no sugar and are also available caffeine free.

Once you are in pretty good shape and start plateauing, an NO booster pre-workout really does take your workouts to another level.  Don't use it every day, just when you need a boost or want an extra good chest day etc.  Cycling just lets your tolerance go back down so the products remain effective, same as anything else.  But if you use sparingly it should work every time.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #107 of 127
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

Just take protein, creatine, multivitamins, etc. Likely cheaper in the long run if you buy bulk, with less side effects, and larger quantities than found in designer supplements.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #108 of 127
Quote:
Because I get the feeling you won't believe anything I write.  So I'd rather point you to a resource that will both answer your questions with more evidence than I could bring, as well as having the side benefit of you learning.

- Powerlifters and bodybuilders, like most people, will choose sports that cater most to their body types. It's more the specific muscle groups being worked on, genetics, and drugs, that decide the perceived huge variances in physique.  Google the images of powerlifters who've cut weight or keep a low bodyfat percentage. Do they resemble anything to you?

- Strength is goal-specific. A football player will focus on exercises, diets, etc. that will help in football. Some sports/task may require stronger arms, some may require stronger legs, some both, and often to different extents. If you just mean general fitness, "purpose" still applies. How much strength doe a guy who sits in an office all day and never lifts anything heavier than paper stacks really need?

- High reps, low weight, will get you bigger, stronger muscles. Low reps, high weight, will get you bigger, stronger muscles. Bodybuilders tend to do the former, because it prioritizes muscle size. A boxer may prefer the latter, maximizing strength gains while minimizing size, to prevent changing weight classes. Both methods will eventually lead to notable muscle gains (progressive tension overload + necessary dietary elements) and neither will necessarily make you "slower". Slower at what, walking? Punching? Swimming? How, and why would you not be able to compensate via skill training?

- Weight turning into fat, what does that even mean? Muscle doesn't magically change into fat, at least not under normal circumstances. (Hell even the cruddy NY Times know that http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/26/health/nutrition/26real.html?_r=0 ) And you can have big strong muscles and good cardio/endurance... just do both.

- Performance enhancing drugs. They can screw up your body over time, if abused. Probably why you see so many muscle heads in their old age look like crap. Very common in both pro competition and recreational gym use.

Here's an article on hypertrophy (rep range/weight): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html Read the whole site, it'll back up what I've said. Great information, often debunking gym bro logic with science.

Well said. I won't pretend to be an expert on weightlifting, because I'm not. But I have played contact sports since high school and I have been lifting since then. All of my coaches (basketball, soccer, track, rugby) have put an emphasis on endurance strength as opposed to raw strength. For me, that's always meant high reps, lower weight. I'm currently on a program by a true professional who owns his own fitness gym and the works. The program is very similar to what I've been saying; high rep, high sets of lower body and core exercises, with a good helping of cardiovascular (sprints, suicides, stairs) on the side.

I'm aware that muscle doesn't directly turn to fat. It's more of a factor of someone's lifestyle. A lot of guys quit lifting and running, but keep eating as much as they used to. So they get fat. Muscle actually turning to fat doesn't make any sort of chemical sense.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #109 of 127
Quote:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

Just take protein, creatine, multivitamins, etc. Likely cheaper in the long run if you buy bulk, with less side effects, and larger quantities than found in designer supplements.

yea that's where I'm at in my thinking really. I'd like some amino's as part of mah Multi Vitamins but I don't care to cycle anything!

That last read was pretty good! I do like Chocolate milk, and my Mother has read in a number of places that Ovalteen is a good Chocolate powder to use for Chocolate milk. So that's comforting to know!

Also nice to read that BCAA is gotten sufficently from the foods we eat, I may purchase it just to see if it has any short term benifits, when taken as a primary pre work out wid mah Oatmeal and Eggs [which may be enough as it is]

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #110 of 127
I have 3 weeks of annual leave from work this month, but after Thanksgiving I will be starting this routine for the 2nd time: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1.html Last time I did his 12 week trainer then his 4 week cutting routine/diet and saw insane results. Definitely worth looking at.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #111 of 127
I started a job doing Land Scapeing... which ironically has been showing some half way decent imporvement! I'm getting a little stronger each week! :D and getting PAID to do so lol

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #113 of 127
Do you need big, strong legs for cycling? Leg presses would also work.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #114 of 127
It depends on the type of cycling, road is all about endurance unless you are racing and sprint the ending so the best thing you can do is workouts for the quads with lots of repitions, but the best thing to do would be to just ride.  In track cycling it is all about brute strength, just look at the legs of a track cyclist compared to a road cyclists, mountain biking requires a lot of strength but it is more important to know how to ride as that can make all the difference.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #115 of 127
Quote:
 it is more important to know how to ride as that can make all the difference.

YAR, i think "how to" can apply to most things. Still though cardio Vascular Endurance is good, doesn't matter how strong you are if you don't have the endurance to keep it up... that's how I feel at least! 

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #116 of 127
Quote:
will squats help road cycling

Squats will literally help everything.  For cycling I would suggest low weight and high reps.  Just keep your core tight (flex), your back straight and stick your butt out!

Do regular squats, then front squats and finish with hack squats.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #117 of 127
Quote:

For what it is worth, NOXplode and most other pre-workout nitric oxide boosters contain no sugar and are also available caffeine free.

Once you are in pretty good shape and start plateauing, an NO booster pre-workout really does take your workouts to another level.  Don't use it every day, just when you need a boost or want an extra good chest day etc.  Cycling just lets your tolerance go back down so the products remain effective, same as anything else.  But if you use sparingly it should work every time.

Been going to the gym for a month and a half now, have lost a lot of weight slowly changing my diet months before that as well...I just need to get rid of a lil flab over my abs now. I've been running some weeks everyday, some weeks 3 times a week. I took some of my dad's preworkout NO booster today just for kicks, 1 scoop of NO Fury, holy ****, I have played around with drugs in my past and this felt like it. I've cut out caffeine from my diet for over 6 months now as well, so maybe thats why it hit me so hard with just 1 scoop, but I had noticeable more energy today, just ran and ran, and added 15 mins to my time. Going to start lifting and doing weights more tomorrow so I'll keep taking it here and there, but holy cow, I can see what all the fuss is about all these NO boosters

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #118 of 127
been doing the Starting Strength program which is amazing for increasing strength fast...i doubled my starting lift in a few weeks. Its a free weight program. Had to stop for a while but im going to get a squat rack and lift at home. This is a great beginner program that i recommend to anyone interested in lifting

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #119 of 127
Quote:
Been going to the gym for a month and a half now, have lost a lot of weight slowly changing my diet months before that as well...I just need to get rid of a lil flab over my abs now. I've been running some weeks everyday, some weeks 3 times a week. I took some of my dad's preworkout NO booster today just for kicks, 1 scoop of NO Fury, holy ****, I have played around with drugs in my past and this felt like it. I've cut out caffeine from my diet for over 6 months now as well, so maybe thats why it hit me so hard with just 1 scoop, but I had noticeable more energy today, just ran and ran, and added 15 mins to my time. Going to start lifting and doing weights more tomorrow so I'll keep taking it here and there, but holy cow, I can see what all the fuss is about all these NO boosters

They definitely help.

I, like you, don't drink soda and only rarely do I drink coffee lately, so the NO products work for me.

I did just get a container of Assault that didn't work for me really, but Body Fortress (cheap Walmart/Target brand Protein/supplements) makes a NO Xplode copycat now that I might try.

Starting Kris Gethin 12 week program in 3-4 days :D

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #120 of 127
The NO/nano explode boosters messed my kidney up, so guys watch out (I was 18 and stupid with these supplements). Their effects mimic steroids fairly closely and if you read/research around about it you wouldn't consider taking those supplements. They work, but like most things in life, at a cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back