Weight Lifters Fi
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #76 of 127
Quote:
I'd recommend reading this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/107367-dumbbell-press-vs.-bench-press/

When I started with gym it was just more "natural" for me and I felt a lot more gains by doing dumbbells benchpresses. Not mentioning the fact that I wouldn't need a partner to spot me if I was in trouble.

I was thinking of changing things up too recently so this came at good timing. I don't use a spotter so I think I may try the dumbbell presses. I'll probably have to go down in weight some due to the fact that the bar is easier to stabilize. I may try these for a bit and add some plyometric pushups and see if I like it.  

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #77 of 127
Quote:
I'd recommend reading this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/107367-dumbbell-press-vs.-bench-press/

When I started with gym it was just more "natural" for me and I felt a lot more gains by doing dumbbells benchpresses. Not mentioning the fact that I wouldn't need a partner to spot me if I was in trouble.

Nice I've actually done Dumbell presses when I didn't have a w Bench and it is a nice movement! Plus the Dum Bells allow you to use a few different movements, although again my issue is my Dubells only go up to 50 and I don't have the ones you can add w8 to... so I atm the Dumb Bells will only last me a week if that

Still nice read thanks for sharing! 

Yea like what was said b4 me I don't HAVE a spotter to use so SAFER WAY TO BENCH here comes me! 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #78 of 127
I prefer dumbbells whenever possible, but the gym (free employees only gym) I work out at now has only 70lb dumbbells so for presses, they are not sufficient.  Supposedly we are getting a set through 100lb but that still doesn't really cut it unfortunately.

Hoping I get a new job soon in a bigger city so I can join a "real" gym again.

I think my favorite lift of all time is one arm dumbbell press though, keep your legs close together and your free arm across your chest and feel the full body burn for high rep sets :D

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #79 of 127
Quote:

I think my favorite lift of all time is one arm dumbbell press though, keep your legs close together and your free arm across your chest and feel the full body burn for high rep sets :D

Seriosuly I used to do this and I might start again, but yea that's some good stuff <3

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #82 of 127
Quote:
...damn...

+2 to that diggidy dang man

But yea if you just LOVE the physical exercise then no wonder! I actually need to work out today Been doing a lot of physical work out in my yard but today I need to pump some iron

But sheesh man, also note some ppl are built to be leaner more defined where as others are just natrually bulkier [I happen to be the Bulky hair type] So while I don't think I can get my abs as defined as yours I think I can definatley pull a Matt Hughes Build off

That being said I don't plan to shave my chest hair...ever. I'm just fine with being BIG and HAIRY like a BEAR [Not that hairy but u get the idea]!

Still though props dude! 

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #83 of 127
Abs have almost nothing to do with working out, it's all diet and body fat composition.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #85 of 127
I see plenty of people at my (university) gym who work exclusively on their vanity muscles. Biceps and bench press and a killer six pack bro!

Ask any athletic trainer. Real strength comes from a strong lower body and core. Look at a professional body builder compared to an Olympic weightlifter. Big difference in body structure.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #86 of 127
Quote:
I see plenty of people at my (university) gym who work exclusively on their vanity muscles. Biceps and bench press and a killer six pack bro!

Ask any athletic trainer. Real strength comes from a strong lower body and core. Look at a professional body builder compared to an Olympic weightlifter. Big difference in body structure.

Yea definatley a strong core is always good, seeing as you use your core muscles for everything

on that note e,e I should work on mine some more >.> 

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #87 of 127
Quote:

Yeah, I used to be somewhat guilty of such before I started learning about real fitness (mid high school or so).

You'd be better off doing only squats and deadlifts than doing bench press, curls and abs :wink:

If you notice my workout above doesn't even have flat bench in it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #88 of 127
Quote:

Yeah, I used to be somewhat guilty of such before I started learning about real fitness (mid high school or so).

You'd be better off doing only squats and deadlifts than doing bench press, curls and abs :wink:

If you notice my workout above doesn't even have flat bench in it.

sadly I dont have room for stuff like that atm, but it makes me think of how apprently ppl on the rural 1920's where stronger than we are now... my friend [whos 60] was telling me about his father who apprently hauled 200lb bags of seed around his farm in upstate New York, and it was just part of his life... lifting heavy STUFF
, he apparently lived a long time to

My Point is only doing Squats and Dead Lifts is probably a great way to gain purely strength!

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #89 of 127
Quote:
sadly I dont have room for stuff like that atm, but it makes me think of how apprently ppl on the rural 1920's where stronger than we are now... my friend [whos 60] was telling me about his father who apprently hauled 200lb bags of seed around his farm in upstate New York, and it was just part of his life... lifting heavy STUFF
, he apparently lived a long time to

My Point is only doing Squats and Dead Lifts is probably a great way to gain purely strength!

Think about all the slaves in Ancient Egypt who had to carry blocks of rocks, miles to the building site of pyramids. Nowadays, we are doing that for fun at the gym!

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #90 of 127
Not to say upper body isn't important. I do dumbells, bench, etc. but I focus on high reps, multiple sets. High-weight, low reps might make you look stronger because your muscles will swell up, but it'll just make you heavier and slower if you are an athlete. And when you get old, all that weight will turn to fat. Lower body strength (and cardiovascular) will stick with you and keep you healthier as you age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back