Weight Lifters Fi
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #91 of 127
Quote:
Think about all the slaves in Ancient Egypt who had to carry blocks of rocks, miles to the building site of pyramids. Nowadays, we are doing that for fun at the gym!

I know right, although I'm sure there was one Slave that enjoyed that work a little to much *imagines him running up them slopes*

And I'm sure the pharroh would feed that slave a little more, not because he cares but because well as a worker it's an investment! Plus I'm sure the guards didn't want to tick that guy off 

but yea isn't that ironic 

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #92 of 127
I've  been doing mostly compound movements such as squats, bench press, deadlift, etc. and added a few recently such as jump squats, lunges, dumbbell press and the one arm press. Of course I'm not doing it all in one session but seems to be fairly effective and wanted to switch it up a bit from just the same 4-5 compound exercises. I'm not really doing this for looks but more for overall strength and endurance and of course to get in shape.

I think I got most of it covered unless there's something I'm missing. My diet is still a work in progress but better than most but I can see some improvement. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see plenty of people at my (university) gym who work exclusively on their vanity muscles. Biceps and bench press and a killer six pack bro!

Ask any athletic trainer. Real strength comes from a strong lower body and core. Look at a professional body builder compared to an Olympic weightlifter. Big difference in body structure.

Not to say upper body isn't important. I do dumbells, bench, etc. but I focus on high reps, multiple sets. High-weight, low reps might make you look stronger because your muscles will swell up, but it'll just make you heavier and slower if you are an athlete. And when you get old, all that weight will turn to fat. Lower body strength (and cardiovascular) will stick with you and keep you healthier as you age.

Not sure if intentionally trolling, but no one listen to what this man says.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #95 of 127
I'm quite scared that I even have to. Where did you get your information from? I mean it's like... here, just visit bodyrecomposition.com and read the articles, frequent the forum. One of the most reputable sources about weight training and diet I've encountered, I believe everything you've referenced has been touched upon deeply.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #96 of 127
How about you enlighten us yourself? Explain what about my statement is wrong exactly.

Are you claiming that there's no difference between a body builder and a Olympic weightlifter? What's your explanation for the differences of doing high-weight vs high-rep training?

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #97 of 127
Because I get the feeling you won't believe anything I write.  So I'd rather point you to a resource that will both answer your questions with more evidence than I could bring, as well as having the side benefit of you learning.

- Powerlifters and bodybuilders, like most people, will choose sports that cater most to their body types. It's more the specific muscle groups being worked on, genetics, and drugs, that decide the perceived huge variances in physique.  Google the images of powerlifters who've cut weight or keep a low bodyfat percentage. Do they resemble anything to you?

- Strength is goal-specific. A football player will focus on exercises, diets, etc. that will help in football. Some sports/task may require stronger arms, some may require stronger legs, some both, and often to different extents. If you just mean general fitness, "purpose" still applies. How much strength doe a guy who sits in an office all day and never lifts anything heavier than paper stacks really need?

- High reps, low weight, will get you bigger, stronger muscles. Low reps, high weight, will get you bigger, stronger muscles. Bodybuilders tend to do the former, because it prioritizes muscle size. A boxer may prefer the latter, maximizing strength gains while minimizing size, to prevent changing weight classes. Both methods will eventually lead to notable muscle gains (progressive tension overload + necessary dietary elements) and neither will necessarily make you "slower". Slower at what, walking? Punching? Swimming? How, and why would you not be able to compensate via skill training?

- Weight turning into fat, what does that even mean? Muscle doesn't magically change into fat, at least not under normal circumstances. (Hell even the cruddy NY Times know that http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/26/health/nutrition/26real.html?_r=0 ) And you can have big strong muscles and good cardio/endurance... just do both.

- Performance enhancing drugs. They can screw up your body over time, if abused. Probably why you see so many muscle heads in their old age look like crap. Very common in both pro competition and recreational gym use.

Here's an article on hypertrophy (rep range/weight): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html Read the whole site, it'll back up what I've said. Great information, often debunking gym bro logic with science.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #98 of 127
Quote:

Here's an article on hypertrophy (rep range/weight): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html Read the whole site, it'll back up what I've said. Great information, often debunking gym bro logic with science.

Yea most of this has been touched on, and I didn't get his post ether so I ignored it, but I am a fan of Low w8 high rep for endurance... simply because your lifting for a longer time. And wonderful point about body type as well as goal specfic w8 training. 

But all of that aside, a strong core makes everything you do better, since well it is your "core" your center, for some things it may be more nessicary that others!

But I might check that site out for some serious diet tips! Last year when I was working out a lot more, just b4 I stoped ( :[ ) I was looking into a better deit, since I needed more energy for what I was doing and I was looking at some of the NoExplode and things like that, after a few days I found out about eating foods that natrually boost testeronne being a counter solution to taking some of those Supplements [the Idea of having to be "on" and "off" in cycles tells me maybe I should just never get on...]

But I'd like to keep my work out to mainly Diet and Exercise Vitamins and Minerals, and just skip those crazy Performance Supplements! [Including Caffine] 

And I'll end with this... OATMEAL AND EGGS... my favorite pre work out snack! 

~edit~

Good read, funny enough I used to do 3x15's and when I went back to that w8 level I could only do about 8 [since I hadn't worked out in a while] which is comforting to know because Now I can keep within a 8 rep set and increase my w8 instead of waiting until I can do 15 reps [which is what I used to do] So again nice read thank you sir [although my working out has to w8 since for the last 2 weeks we've been remoddleing a house... 6 hours of heavy lifting and hard manual labor = to tired to focus train.] So hopefully [I'm tearing out floors again today... YAY] in a few weeks I can get back into better targeted weight lifiting, cardio and Deiting! But on the positive, after working like an animal for 3 weeks I should be able to start building back to where I was pretty quick!

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #99 of 127
Most of those supplements like No Xplode use caffeine and sugar for energy (the rest of the contents are generally either useless or too low in amount to have an actual benefit). Caffeine is fine if you keep it in check,  pills are a very cheap solution, though I prefer to drink.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #100 of 127
Quote:
Most of those supplements like No Xplode use caffeine and sugar for energy (the rest of the contents are generally either useless or too low in amount to have an actual benefit). Caffeine is fine if you keep it in check,  pills are a very cheap solution, though I prefer to drink.

Yea Caffeine and Sugar I'm not a fan off. Caffeine is a drug for starters and I'd like not to be addicted and I put a little sugar in my Oatmeal so I might as well stick with good ole cheap oatmeal.

Although I do like a little Whey Protein after I workout, so I'm not excluding that, I've also wanted to start taking Amino Acids [one called BCCA (Or BCAA)] as part of my pre and or post work out, as I read some articles mentioning it was able to be used more directly by your muscles for energy or rebuilding.

But, certainly regardless of what I do consistency would be the best thing to use lol

But that 5-8 rep at [what 80-85%] sounds Golden! I noticed when I do my 3x[8's now] by that last one I might settle at 5 or 6] the only issue now is if I make a lot of progress now I'll need to get a gym membership or buy more weights [as I started doing 35lb single arm curls] Not to mention if I want to do the Dumbpell presses, the heaviest I have is 50s <.< so I'll need a gym for the bigger ones hopefully! 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #101 of 127
The only supplement I use is protein powder. As for reps I do 5 sets of 5 for my main workout which are my compound movements. I started out low weight but have progressively added weight and now at a good amount of weight when considering my weight. The only thing that I do a lot of reps are what I do at the end of the workout such as pushups, pullups, jump squats, etc.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #102 of 127
The site has full articles on supplements, protein, etc that address some of the things  you mentioned. And there's a generic bulking routine thread, good info in the replies. http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #103 of 127
Quote:
The only supplement I use is protein powder. As for reps I do 5 sets of 5 for my main workout which are my compound movements. I started out low weight but have progressively added weight and now at a good amount of weight when considering my weight. The only thing that I do a lot of reps are what I do at the end of the workout such as pushups, pullups, jump squats, etc.

Yar protein powder is good stuff, and as of now I don't have a lower body work out e.e, Im in between Cardio and Upper Body days, my home gym is to small for to many Compound movements although I have some nice heavy Bricks I can squat with [Still sore from moving those darn things Saturday] 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #104 of 127
I've been somewhat lazy as of late so been getting ripped off at the gym getting shakes but need to get a blender again so I can make some nice shakes but until then I'll just get a shake after my workout.For lower back I do mostly squats, jump squats, lunges and dead lifts but squats and dead lifts are the main ones I do while lunges and squats are more for the end of the workout where I do many reps.

I wish I had the space to set up a cage in my basement. That's pretty much all I would ever need and some dumbbells. It would be so much more convenient than going to the gym.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #105 of 127
Quote:
I've been somewhat lazy as of late so been getting ripped off at the gym getting shakes but need to get a blender again so I can make some nice shakes but until then I'll just get a shake after my workout.For lower back I do mostly squats, jump squats, lunges and dead lifts but squats and dead lifts are the main ones I do while lunges and squats are more for the end of the workout where I do many reps.

I wish I had the space to set up a cage in my basement. That's pretty much all I would ever need and some dumbbells. It would be so much more convenient than going to the gym.

indeed, but I like going to the gym... since your paying for it your more motivated to get your moneys worth, where as at home if your exhausted... you might skip that night

Still though it;'s not MY gym so I didn't pay for the stuff... but Gyms are nice for support to! If you accidently get stuck... hopefully some one will help you b4 u get squashed 

But I'd love to stay and chat you guys but It's time I fed mah pythons!

Lawl! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back