WE WANT MUD! Dark headphones appreciation thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #16 of 73
The NightOwl was about as dark as I can handle. What's wrong with splitting the difference? I don't like dark or shouty and shrill. Does a headphone have to be overly bright to have good detail resolution?

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 73
I listened to my WH-H900N on the Tube today, Pat Methenys new album on Tidal Masters over LDAC. It's hard to say it's not resolving, as it is. And rather dark too, cymbals sounds very full like irl as opposite to tinny.

WH-H900N has different drivers from XM3, it has 40mm Titanium drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 73
The NightOwl was about as dark as I can handle. What's wrong with splitting the difference? I don't like dark or shouty and shrill. Does a headphone have to be overly bright to have good detail resolution?

I created this thread to compile a useful list of dark headphones from the community. Nothing wrong with other sound signatures. But here I'd love to get discussions on headphones that are known for being dark. No headphone is dark enough for me. That's the sound I like the most and I'm pretty sure lots of others may feel the same way.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #19 of 73
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 73
I created this thread to compile a useful list of dark headphones from the community. Nothing wrong with other sound signatures. But here I'd love to get discussions on headphones that are known for being dark. No headphone is dark enough for me. That's the sound I like the most and I'm pretty sure lots of others may feel the same way.
Sounds good. Much better the wording in your opening statement.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #22 of 73
Sony MDR-1AM2 sounds rather dark with powerful bass despite being well resolving, maybe it's the Sony sound present on most of Sonys higher end cans. There is treble, but it is never overpowering.

Seconded! I am using the MDR-1A for more than a year now, and for me it's pretty much the headphone for stuff like boom bap hip-hop, industrial techno or death metal. Also possibly the most comfortable fit. Also can't say they "lack" higher frequencies, there just isn't an accent on them.

Funnily I've not tried the HD650 despite their ubiquitous status...

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 73
Another Nighthawk appreciation thread? I'm in! Love that thing for listening to music while doing creative work (writing, photo editing). It basically liquefies the music so it just flows into your head. Not suitable for critical listening or fishing for details.

Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature... I sold this one, because the midrange timbre is way off. But it had a certain appeal. Great craftsmanship, deep and powerful bass, silky treble... And nowadays it's even affordable.

Sennheiser 600 & 660S... Wouldn't call them dark, because I'm treble sensitive. Many do, though. Perfect Timbre...

The aforementioned WH-1000XM3... I didn't like the midrange, especially the lack of emotion and dynamic range in the upper mids. If you're not listening to Rock / Metal, these are a nice and easy treat for traveling/commute

Feb 25, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #24 of 73
It would be ideal if we could get a nice list of dark headphones, listed from darker to darkest. For example, I'm still not sure which headphones are the absolutely darkest. I once got the PX 100 ii that was believed to hold this title and it still wasn't dark enough for me. Harsh violins in poorly mastered classical recordings were still harsh, albeit a lot less harsh that on the ungodly bright DT 990.

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 73
I have plenty of experience with dark headphones. I own the Koss UR10 new old stock and JVC HA-SR185. The high mids and low treble is rolled off on the Koss, and the high bass and low mids come out, no sub bass. The JVC on the other hand could have a tiny peak, but the bass is all one note muddy and pushed forward. I could not get quality sub bass if I tried. The highest quality mud phones I owned were the Bluedio T2S and the Tascam TH-02- they had the highest quality dark signatures I have heard. The Koss UR20 has an elevated 4k to 10k, but is recessed in the high mids so it could be considered dark.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 73
I bought Beyer DT 150 a few days ago and I'm surprised these aren't widely discussed among warm/dark signature fans. They give you the perfect "grandpa's headphones" sound and the comfort is better than the pictures have you believe. I can't believe a company that made this would later make the DT 770/880/990 line, which are so unnaturally bright they sound defective in comparison. I played the 770 and 990 and ABed them against the DT 150 and can't believe anyone would prefer that obnoxious mountain spike.

They say the DT 250's are even darker! Anyone ever tried both?

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 73
I bought Beyer DT 150 a few days ago and I'm surprised these aren't widely discussed among warm/dark signature fans. They give you the perfect "grandpa's headphones" sound and the comfort is better than the pictures have you believe. I can't believe a company that made this would later make the DT 770/880/990 line, which are so unnaturally bright they sound defective in comparison. I played the 770 and 990 and ABed them against the DT 150 and can't believe anyone would prefer that obnoxious mountain spike.

They say the DT 250's are even darker! Anyone ever tried both?

The DT 150 is an overlooked headphone sadly; but it’s one of the best sounding headphones I’ve heard in its price range regardless of open or closed. Beyer can and do make warmer and darker headphones but some reason many of their brighter pairs got more attention.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 73
The DT 150 is an overlooked headphone sadly; but it’s one of the best sounding headphones I’ve heard in its price range regardless of open or closed. Beyer can and do make warmer and darker headphones but some reason many of their brighter pairs got more attention.
Oh yeah! Imagine if the T1 had the smooth frequency response of the DT 150! What a beautiful world would that be!

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #29 of 73
there's warm, dark, then mud.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #30 of 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back