WE WANT MUD! Dark headphones appreciation thread
Feb 21, 2020 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

MorrisL

100+ Head-Fier
Hell with "sparkle" and "sizzle!" Screw the Beyer mountain peak! Screw all the shouty upper mids and all the shrill highs! And shove that "air" up where the moon don't shine!

We appreciate warm, dark, smooth sound signatures that we can relax to and enjoy our music without our ears bleeding from the outrageously bright sound that is pretentiously advertised as "detail" and "resolution." This is the day to start compiling a list of headphones that were designed with our preferences in mind.

We all know the HD 650 exists, but what else is out there?

Do tell!

Beyer_T1-mountain_peak.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 73
Sony MDR-1AM2 sounds rather dark with powerful bass despite being well resolving, maybe it's the Sony sound present on most of Sonys higher end cans. There is treble, but it is never overpowering.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 73
Sony MDR-1AM2 sounds rather dark with powerful bass despite being well resolving, maybe it's the Sony sound present on most of Sonys higher end cans. There is treble, but it is never overpowering.

Are the cups large enough on these? Are they fully over ear? I always feel claustrophobic wearing such headphones. That's why I could never get used to the Momentums even though they sound dark and agreeable to me.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 73
Are the cups large enough on these? Are they fully over ear? I always feel claustrophobic wearing such headphones. That's why I could never get used to the Momentums even though they sound dark and agreeable to me.

Yes, they cover the ears full. I have large ears, no problem. Biggest treat is they are very light at 176 grams. Biggest con is the very short cables in the box, one is balanced though.

Anyway, possibly my most comfortable can.

As it is a closed can soundstage is not big, but is is clean and precise. And never harsh. For a closed can, they leak some through the tuned bass port which I suppose is a tradeoff to reduce boominess.

They are easily driven, but the very low impedance of just 16 Ohms can be a problem for some amps which can't keep a straight tonecurve. A below 2 Ohms output impedance of the amp is preferrable to tighten up the bass.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 73
Sony WH-1000XM3 (with the latest firmware).

If that is still not mud enough, there is an EQ to roll off even more treble in the app.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 73
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 73
Mud of forgiving penance. No distortion. No harshness.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 73

the bass line sound even better with muddy bass

Great post, but I believe the OP wasn't pro muddy bass but rather anti shrill highs in his meaning of mud :)

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 73

If that is still not mud enough, there is an EQ to roll off even more treble in the app.

Agreed. I just recently got a set of these and they are almost incapable of being too bright, even with EQ. The overall sound quality, and ANC features, are very appropriate for their price point.

For dark headphone championship contender (and my favorite overall headphone at any price), I submit E-MU Teak with Rosewood cups (or Ebony or Purple Heart). These are the perfect amount of darkness for my tastes.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 73
Many of my current favourite cans are dark tilted (R70X, Tres, M100) but I dont necessarily have anything against a bit brighter signatures either as long as theyre not uncomfortably bright. I would still probably favour darker in the long run because its just easier to listen to for long periods of time.

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 73

The Audioquest NightHawk and NightOwl were intentionally voiced to sound like a muddy, mushy mess.

But if that's your thing (weird, but whatev's), they can now be had for pennies on the dollar!

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphones/AudioQuest-Nighthawk-Carbon-Headphones
One of the worst headphones ever that is overpriced and wrongly marketted for audiophiles. Wonky sound. Taste is subjective, but damn. Like anything out there, there is bad taste.

Look at the way it looks. It's easier to stay away due to it's weirdness.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 73
One of the worst headphones ever that is overpriced and wrongly marketted for audiophiles. Wonky sound. Taste is subjective, but damn. Like anything out there, there is bad taste.

Look at the way it looks. It's easier to stay away due to it's weirdness.

One of the most underrated headphones out there, that can be had for bargain prices and are wrongly marketted for audiophiles, instead they should have been marketed for fans of music. Taste is subjective, but damn, like anything out there, there is better taste. :)

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 73

I auditioned this at a Hi-Fi store a few weeks ago. They didn't strike me as particularly dark headphones but I liked them a lot. The best wireless headphones I've ever heard by a long shot. It's worth noting that they are said to be using the same drivers found in Sony MDR-1AM2 mentioned here in the second post here). Maybe there is something to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back