We are upgrading HE series headphones' replaceable earpads.
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 188
I've got two extra pads for the HE-6 and I sure ain't looking forward to replacing them. It would suck to have the headphones sent to China beause of a broken plastic tab. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #33 of 188
Any more news? I just replaced my left pad because the crackling noise was unbearable. It was broken on two points. I had to use the replacement pad which is in a very bad shape. Ofc I broke the replacement pad when trying to put it in place but no crackling so far, only the uneven shape is pressing part of my head more than it should.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #34 of 188
Had email from Fang today and with luck the new pads should be available on the head-direct website sometime next week

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #36 of 188
Yes, this indeed good news. If the new pads are of a high enough quality,with a bit of brainstorming, we can work on better means of attaching the pads to the cups for a better & more continuous seal & hopefully be done with anymore "mechanical" issues.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #37 of 188
Call me simple, but I'd settle for two ear cushions the same thickness.  Heck, I'll attach them with string, smoke, and mirrors, as long as one driver isn't a 1/4" closer to my left ear.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 188

Quote:
Call me simple, but I'd settle for two ear cushions the same thickness.  Heck, I'll attach them with string, smoke, and mirrors, as long as one driver isn't a 1/4" closer to my left ear.

It has to be easy to detach in order to be able to wash them every once and then.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #40 of 188

Quote:
Hmmm, leather.  DO WANT.

Quote:
Leathered pads, nice.

X3, very interested in these for the leather and slightly additional thickness. Hopefully the quality of the attachment tabs will be improved as well. I would think so, as Fang seems like he is committed to evolving quality upgrades whenever it's possible.

Quote:
Thicker pads would be nice.  My ears (barely) touch the covers over the drivers when wearing the HE-500.  The HE-6 has the same problem, maybe worse, IMO.  During the winter the heated air in my house becomes very dry.  When listening to the HE-6, my ears would get static electric shocks when I moved around in my cloth chair.  Ouch!

I had some of those "static lightening bolts" with my first HE-6 but they eventually subsided so hopefully your pair will work itself out as well. I had to get a warranty replacement for an unrelated issue recently and there have not been any of these shocking intrusions at all. But I am using an aftermarket cable now, and it's not winter anymore.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 188
It is next week but they don't seem to be up at the web site yet. They should be a little deeper than the stock HE-500 pads

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #42 of 188

Difficult to get volume balance, sound stage, and any semblance of imaging with one pad 1/4' thicker/thinner than the other.  I've been using my Denons in the mean time.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 188

Quote:
The pads on the HE-4 are fine but the ones on the HE-500 are a little shallower so my ears touch the protection grill over the drivers making it a little uncomfortable with long sessions. Also I generally prefer leather pads as I don't have any heat/sweat problems.

I had exactly the same experience as this. Don't get me wrong, I love the HE-500's but anything bassy makes the material tickle my ears (and not in a good way). If they could be slightly deeper it would be so great and I'll be in for a set of each for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back