Watts Up...?
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #3,331 of 4,753
Hi @Rob Watts

With my Hugo2, I do 10 band parametric EQ with my headphones.

I know you say your >100bit EQ is better but it is what it is for me at the moment. DC Stealth is on the shopping list for later - that's the only headphones where I wouldn't need to do EQ to Harman curve.

So I have the option to feed Hugo2 with 24-bit and 32-bits (both dithered) from my EQ software. Sample rates will remain un-changed from original music.

Is it better to choose 32-bits dithered? Does the Hugo's USB interface do any truncation?

Or better to choose 24-bits dithered?
It depends upon how the source does the EQ dithering for the outputs - I would try both, 24 bit or 32 bit and use the output setting that gives you the best impression of depth.

And agreed I don't feel any need to use EQ at all with the Stealth with Hugo 2 - and that would be the far better option rather than use the source EQ.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #3,332 of 4,753
It depends upon how the source does the EQ dithering for the outputs - I would try both, 24 bit or 32 bit and use the output setting that gives you the best impression of depth.
Cheers Rob - so Hugo2 (and all your current DACs?) will properly accept 32-bit data?

My question is about the Hugo2 side of things, not the source / software side.

The full 32-bits will make it to the FPGA?

And is that only guaranteed with the Windows ASIO driver? Or should work like that with any UAC2 compliant device?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #3,333 of 4,753
USB input should not do anything funny as asio drivers are meant for bit perfect transfer through USB only. If it wasn't so a dac wouldn't have been able to accept dsd in dop, it is as simple as that.
No, DoP will ride on 24-bit PCM176kHz (DoP64)... my question is about 32-bit specifically.

You don't need 32-bits for DoP64.... proof is DoP64 working over TOSlink (24-bit...)

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #3,334 of 4,753
No, DoP will ride on 24-bit PCM176kHz (DoP64)... my question is about 32-bit specifically.

You don't need 32-bits for DoP64.... proof is DoP64 working over TOSlink (24-bit...)
You know many playback softwares have both options of riding on 24bit and 32bit for dsd dop. Why are you so adamant ? USB interface does not do any funny thing. if it was, dsd dop was not possible. If dac is advertised 32bit via USB then data will be passed as 32bit. After that whatever happens to that, it is not the job of USB interface.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3,335 of 4,753
You know many playback softwares have both options of riding on 24bit and 32bit for dsd dop. Why are you so adamant ? USB interface does not do any funny thing. if it was, dsd dop was not possible. If dac is advertised 32bit via USB then data will be passed as 32bit. After that whatever happens to that, it is not the job of USB interface.
There are USB interfaces that do funny business with 32-bit data, even if the DAC chip that follows is 32-bit. I am adamant because it's a simple Google search away to find this info.

Hence for some USB DACs, it may be better to feed it 24-bit data than 32-bit.

The way to be sure is... ask the designer how 32-bit data is handled. Is 32-bit 'bit perfect' to the DAC chip / FPGA. DoP64 working is not enough proof alone, of 32-bit bit perfect transfer.

We are lucky to have that luxury here with Rob.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #3,336 of 4,753
There are USB interfaces that do funny business with 32-bit data, even if the DAC chip that follows is 32-bit. I am adamant because it's a simple Google search away to find this info.

The way to be sure is... ask the designer how 32-bit data is handled. Is 32-bit 'bit perfect' to the DAC chip / FPGA. DoP64 working is not enough proof alone, of 32-bit bit perfect transfer.

You may like to post the link of such USB interfaces ?

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #3,337 of 4,753

Dop is the best proof because even slightest of disturbance to dsd flags will cause no output from dac.

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #3,339 of 4,753
Not all software truely output 32-bits. I have confirmed with developer the one I use does.
Is that 32 bit integer or floating point?

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #3,340 of 4,753
Not proof of 32-bit bit perfect transfer though, which is the crux of my query.
I don't know why are so stubborn about this 32bit issue. Install sacd plugin in foobar. Select dsd asio of your dac in output. There comes the option of wrapping the dsd in 24bit or 32bit. Select 32bit and then send dsd to your dac. If your dac recognises dsd then it is accepting 32but data and sending it to processor unaffected. Dsd flags in dop once disturbed will not give any sound output. What is so difficult to understand this ?

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #3,341 of 4,753
I don't know why are so stubborn about this 32bit issue. Install sacd plugin in foobar. Select dsd asio of your dac in output. There comes the option of wrapping the dsd in 24bit or 32bit. Select 32bit and then send dsd to your dac. If your dac recognises dsd then it is accepting 32but data and sending it to processor unaffected. Dsd flags in dop once disturbed will not give any sound output. What is so difficult to understand this ?
You are again talking about just ASIO but haven't seen my queries to Rob.

You say you don't understand what is so difficult, but I say why do you keep answering a question that you have no qualification to answer?

Just let Rob answer the questions I have politely asked him?

I am very patient to just let Rob answer whenever he does - but you seem impatient to keep spamming this thread?

For foobar's sake !

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #3,342 of 4,753
You are again talking about just ASIO but haven't seen my queries to Rob.

You say you don't understand what is so difficult, but I say why do you keep answering a question that you have no qualification to answer?

Just let Rob answer the questions I have politely asked him?

I am very patient to just let Rob answer whenever he does - but you seem impatient to keep spamming this thread?

For foobar's sake !
USB input is meant to be used with asio or wasapi. Even if you are not using asio or wasapi USB will pass through what it is receiving until unless you are using some reclocker etc. Btw where is the link of some dac's USB doing funny things ?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,343 of 4,753
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3,344 of 4,753
I received my speakers from Omega. They are beautiful, I must say. Before I hook them up, I have a question. The advertised impedance is 8ohms, but the impedance he has written on the back of the speaker is 6.5ohms. Any idea if it is still safe to hook them up to the TT2?
You will be fine. I was playing my 88db 6ohm (minimal is 4ohms - actually below 4 I think) speakers just fine with TT2.
I was using balanced connection but I've never pushed it hard, so I didn't have any issues regarding heat etc. - some people burnt their units because of listening "very" loud.
But omegas being very efficient you should be fine using singe ended output, which is unlikely to thermally trip.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #3,345 of 4,753
I received my speakers from Omega. They are beautiful, I must say. Before I hook them up, I have a question. The advertised impedance is 8ohms, but the impedance he has written on the back of the speaker is 6.5ohms. Any idea if it is still safe to hook them up to the TT2?
I hooked up my new Omega Junior Alnico XRS towers to the HMS/TT2, and boy do they sound transparent! Certainly lacking in the bass, but hopefully it will fill up over time. After 10 hours I have noticed an improvement, but it is still thin. Otherwise, I love them.

I have a question about volume. Previously I never went above -30db with my Utopia headphones on the TT2, and normally listened at -40db, on low gain. With these speakers, I had to go to high gain, and am listening at about -15db. I assume this is normal. I have 2 questions:

@Rob Watts,
How high can I set the volume without damaging the TT2, both for a short time and for a long time (ie unsupervised burn in of the speakers)?

Is there a problem with switching from low gain to high gain and vv frequently, or should I just set the headphones to high gain as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back