Watts Up...?
May 19, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #4,036 of 4,636
None of these products interest me, I was hoping to see the super scaler, oh well.
Rob said in the last interview: 'hope to release it end of this year'.. may is just too early i thought

May 19, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #4,037 of 4,636
Rob said in the last interview: 'hope to release it end of this year'.. may is just too early i thought
Yes.
For the Ultima pre-amp announced yesterday, What Hifi are saying pre-order now for delivery in September.
Based on that sort of lead-time, we may need to wait another two or three months for an official announcement about the super scaler.

May 19, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,038 of 4,636
Yes.
For the Ultima pre-amp announced yesterday, What Hifi are saying pre-order now for delivery in September.
Based on that sort of lead-time, we may need to wait another two or three months for an official announcement about the super scaler.
What has the world come to?
There was a time, they used to chase us for our money, with ready to ship gadgets, now it is the reverse! :face_palm:
I ordered my EV car back in August, still waiting for delivery, and no, not a fancy one, just a Hyundai.

May 19, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #4,039 of 4,636
What has the world come to?
There was a time, they used to chase us for our money, with ready to ship gadgets, now it is the reverse! :face_palm:
I ordered my EV car back in August, still waiting for delivery, and no, not a fancy one, just a Hyundai.
In fairness to Chord, even a few years ago it was normal that new products were announced, with two or three months lead time before shipping.

In answer to your wider point, that world no longer exists post covid.
Many industries have been struggling for a year because their supply chains haven't recovered.
Suppliers downsized during covid, and got rid of a lot of qualified, skilled, experienced staff, and many of them have now not returned to their previous employers.
Add in the fact that many suppliers had to borrow money just to stay afloat during covid, and that money now needs to be repaid, before they can invest in ramping up their production capability.
Manufacturers in many industries would like to be shipping more products to end customers, but their supply chains just cannot supply components fast enough to meet demand.
:relaxed:

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #4,040 of 4,636
The inter-sample overload is a real thing, but extremely unlikely to occur in practice, as it requires to clip for only one output sample, and to be of the correct phase too. Moreover, the ADC would have clipped internally before decimation, and this would have caused problems for the analogue part of the ADC. The clip light on the recording ADC would have lit up, and either dynamic compression employed, or the sound engineer would have backed of on the levels.

Another issue, which again is extremely unlikely to occur (infinite monkeys with one typing out a Shakespeare sonnet springs to mind) is if an input signal is exactly the same frequency as the coefficients, and it aligns so that positive matches the positive values of the coefficients, then the OP will be the modulus of the filter coefficients - that would be around a +12 dB overload! But this can't happen with music.

My reasoning for the overload margin is basically to cover Gibbs phenomenon - where you get an overshoot with transients or square waves when the filtered signal naturally overshoots. You need about 2dB headroom to cover this. My setting of -2.73dB was to cover this, and it's a convenient number for my SPDIF de-emphasis filter built into the DACs. If de-emphasis is done in the M scaler, and if the filter no longer needed a Gibbs overload, then I could reduce overload margins. But I am not sure this would actually have any audible benefit though.

No - but when I last looked at the decoding code from Dolby, it was not source files but bit files - so you do not get the source code to do your own coding.

Hi, my M scaler is connected to a 9volt battery, as you suggested :) In your opinion, what is the best power conditioner to connect to the Chord Dave? In the future I may also buy another headphone amp to connect to the Dave

Thank you

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #4,041 of 4,636
All my critical equipment is plugged into Shunyata Denali units. I have 1 tower and 1 desktop unit. I cannot speak more highly of this system. I've had them for circa 5 years absolutely fault free and elation inducing performance.

Chord DAVE is amongst them as are audio clocks.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #4,042 of 4,636
Hi, my M scaler is connected to a 9volt battery, as you suggested :) In your opinion, what is the best power conditioner to connect to the Chord Dave? In the future I may also buy another headphone amp to connect to the Dave

Thank you
I haven't played around with mains conditioners, as they don't do a good job with RF. I did try some ferrites on the mains cable, but I couldn't hear a change.

If you are using normal headphones you won't need to use another headphone amp - unless you want to purposely colour the sound. If you load Dave with a low impedance and listen on headphones, you will hear no change in sound quality. So adding an external amp will only degrade transparency. The only situation where it may make sense is say using Susvara, where Dave can only give 92dB SPL max. That might not be enough, although it's enough for me. Remember that anything over 80dB SPL long term can degrade your hearing.

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #4,043 of 4,636
I haven't played around with mains conditioners, as they don't do a good job with RF. I did try some ferrites on the mains cable, but I couldn't hear a change.

If you are using normal headphones you won't need to use another headphone amp - unless you want to purposely colour the sound. If you load Dave with a low impedance and listen on headphones, you will hear no change in sound quality. So adding an external amp will only degrade transparency. The only situation where it may make sense is say using Susvara, where Dave can only give 92dB SPL max. That might not be enough, although it's enough for me. Remember that anything over 80dB SPL long term can degrade your hearing.
I own Chord Dave, Chord M-Scaler and the Focal Clear headphone.

My idea was to buy the Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC amplifier and the Stax SR-007 MK1 headphone.

But actually I haven't decided anything yet, because my goal is to get the least colored system possible.

Could you help me to do that?
What do you think of my idea or are there solutions that allow me to have an even less colorful system?
I'm not a hifi expert.
Thank you

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #4,044 of 4,636
I own Chord Dave, Chord M-Scaler and the Focal Clear headphone.

My idea was to buy the Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC amplifier and the Stax SR-007 MK1 headphone.

But actually I haven't decided anything yet, because my goal is to get the least colored system possible.

Could you help me to do that?
What do you think of my idea or are there solutions that allow me to have an even less colorful system?
I'm not a hifi expert.
Thank you
I don't have a Dave or MScaler, but my experience may be of interest to you.

Using the Mojo and Hugo2, my goto headphones are Aeon Flow Closed.
If I insert an amplifier into the chain, I normally feel a sense of the sound becoming veiled and blunted.
The only exception I have found is using the Drop Koss 95x/950p combination, and I don't sense any veiling/blunting.
Consequently for me it would be a waste of time adding any amplifier, unless it is driving electrostatic headphones.

Your proposed Stax would be an improvement on the Koss, so my expectation would be that it could be a good solution for you.
I realise that my experience/expectation could differ from other owners.
:relaxed:

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,045 of 4,636
I don't have a Dave or MScaler, but my experience may be of interest to you.

Using the Mojo and Hugo2, my goto headphones are Aeon Flow Closed.
If I insert an amplifier into the chain, I normally feel a sense of the sound becoming veiled and blunted.
I had the same experience. The best sound I get is straight out of the Dave. And I use Stealths and the Heddphone which are both power hungry. I'm also not a blind Chord fanboy because the amp I tried was the Chord Anni and I truly hated how it sounds.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #4,046 of 4,636
I had the same experience. The best sound I get is straight out of the Dave. And I use Stealths and the Heddphone which are both power hungry. I'm also not a blind Chord fanboy because the amp I tried was the Chord Anni and I truly hated how it sounds.
What was so bad about the Anni?

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,048 of 4,636

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back