Watts Up...?
May 11, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #4,021 of 4,673
Also the charging port on my Hugo2 has been slowly failing over the years. It's always had connection issue, needing to be wiggled and maneuvered into place to get it to charge but now it wont seem to make a solid connection much at all. I'll leave it alone in a position such that the turquoise charging light is on or sometimes white light and when I wakeup it will still have very little to no charge. The soder connection was always weak for the charging port. Anyone know what the turnaround time is to get an H2 fixed?

May 11, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #4,022 of 4,673
I much prefer the CDM + Hugo2 to Hugo2 2 alone, I've owned hugo2 since it was released and have thousands of hours on it, I much prefer it combined with tube sound.
Just as a last word, if the amp has a volume control , put it to max. use low gain and only use volume control on H2.
happy listening.

May 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #4,023 of 4,673
Also the charging port on my Hugo2 has been slowly failing over the years. It's always had connection issue, needing to be wiggled and maneuvered into place to get it to charge but now it wont seem to make a solid connection much at all. I'll leave it alone in a position such that the turquoise charging light is on or sometimes white light and when I wakeup it will still have very little to no charge. The soder connection was always weak for the charging port. Anyone know what the turnaround time is to get an H2 fixed?
It seems that Chord are very quick (a few days) to get a repair back out of the door once received.

I think your limitation is more likely to be from the shipping time from wherever you are than from Chord.

May 11, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,024 of 4,673
Also the charging port on my Hugo2 has been slowly failing over the years.
While I’m pretty sure you’re right, before sending your Hugo 2 for repair, you probably want to try a different charger just to be sure it’s not the charger (or charging cable) and it’s the port. As you know, 5W charging is light blue and 10W charging is white. I can’t always find 10W chargers since I usually use old 5W ones for charging Hugo 2. Another thing to be aware of.

May 12, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #4,025 of 4,673
Also the charging port on my Hugo2 has been slowly failing over the years.
It could be dust builtup being pressed in the usb socket by the plug preventing good contact.

Use a needle and gently peek a bit in there.. see if something comes out

May 18, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #4,027 of 4,673
May 18, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #4,030 of 4,673
Beautiful setup. I know Chord Etude is not Ultima 5. But I definitely hear more transparency, depth and detail when connecting my DAVE directly to Etude using RCA compared to XLR using the same length, brand and model of cables. I’d be curious if Rob Watts has done testing for RCA vs XLR specifically with Chord amps too.
Just some follow up on the hotly-discussed topic of Chord "balanced" vs "unbalanced" output.

You may recall I had enquired as to the best connection between my DAVE and my new Ultima-5 power amp, and the majority (though not all) of respondents felt that RCA sounded better (although this depends on the exact hardware being used). Rob had mentioned that DAVE requires an additional output stage for XLR which might impact the clarity somewhat, but advised me to do my own listening tests.

Well, my ever-helpful dealer, Oxford Audio Consultants, allowed me to do an extended (several weeks) test with otherwise-identical RCA and XLR cables: these are the new(ish) Audioquest Black Beauty cables, which were a big step up from my existing Chord Crimson Plus interconnects: a more-authoritative sound, especially in the low end.

The difference between XLR and RCA was stark - at least, for very-well recorded music. The XLR (when adjusted for output, i.e., -6 dB down) sounded "rounder", with the leading edges of notes smoothed off; by contrast, the RCA's gave a much crisper definition. This was most apparent with piano music - presumably the percussive aspect provides such a sharp transient that maximum clarity is required.

A good test was the excellent 24-bit/192 kHz Linn recording of Chopin preludes, played by the lovely Ingrid Fliter:

Preludes Op. 28 (Fliter).jpg

The "Raindrop Prelude" made a good test piece here - and both my son (who has better hearing than me) and I were immediately able to tell the difference. This translated to other pieces as well - orchestral music, vocals, etc. We couldn't find any music where the XLR sounded better.

One interesting observation was that of "burn in". Now, I'm a bit of sceptic regarding "cable burn in", but I did ensure that both cables were given 100h of playtime (leaving the CD player on "repeat" overnight, playing quiet Debussy…) and the XLR's did improve (slightly) at the end - but still lacked that initial crisp "bite" that the RCA cables gave.

Finally: about a year ago, shortly before I splurged out on DAVE + M-Scaler, I had the opportunity to test the then-new Naim Unity Atom Headphone Edition which everyone was raving about, and which was in very-short supply. On its own, this worked well with my Focal Utopia headphones, but when compared with a Chord Hugo TT2 it paled in comparison. My key finding at the time was the way in which piano music sounded "rounded off" on the Naim, but sharp and distinct on the TT2. So I think this (more subtle) RCA vs XLR test shows a similar result: to get the ultimate in clarity from DAVE one requires the RCA outputs, as the XLRs give a more-veiled response - at least, when paired with the Chord Ultima 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back