Watts Up...?
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #4,066 of 4,673
I am hyper busy at the moment on two new designs, the Ultima DAC and the M scaler that will be in the Chord Choral range like Dave.

I am expecting delivery of the pre-production new M scaler to match Dave in the next few weeks - so all going well we hope to show this unit at a CanJam sometime this year. But this project is certainly by far my most complex design to date. We will not show the unit until Chord and I are 100% happy with the SQ, hardware and functionality of the unit.

So please be patient - I can tell you two things though; firstly it's going to be well worth the wait, and secondly John and I have agreed a few days ago on a new name that we are both happy with.
Wondering whether this new Scaler is capable to be paired and used with Hugo2 let's say? Could you provide your experience on how Hugo2 changes compared with Mscaler? Thanks!

Interesting thing, i've experienced all possible combinations of Chord Dac's and Mscaler in the chain (Mscaled (half) Mojo, Mojo2, Hugo2 Scaled, TT2 Mscaled, DAVE solo and DAVE Mscaled. Now had switched for solo Dave for 2 months, and could easily say that i miss very much on what m scaler gives, and those 2years with Mscaled TT2 were really very joyfull sounding. As life is changing alongside other family projects and due to afcource financial reasons i do not opt for Mscaled Dave now and actually letting Dave itself too and right now sitting with Hugo2go and DCA Stealth's.

But to sum up my experience:

1. Mscaler is must, regardless how good and transparent DAC is. Sure at least Hugo2/qutest level is a must according to my brain.

2. In my experience solo DAVE didn't worked out (considering how i felt music for 2 years with TT2/HMS/WAVE).

3. Hugo22go and DCA Stealth's they do perfect job for music reproduction.

4. To get goosebumps and joy The Scaler is must and i really miss it... now knowing that Choral scaler is on the way. But afcourse main question is WHETER it would work with Hugo2 at least?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #4,067 of 4,673
Wondering whether this new Scaler is capable to be paired and used with Hugo2 let's say?
Yes, 100%. Since the new M Scaler is intended to work with Dave it will work with every other Chord Dac that has the ability to receive dual bnc signal.
Only difference as far as I know is the signal locking mechanism in that Dave has no ability to know which is the left or right channel, it just takes the channels like you plug them in. Hugo 2 and newer know the polarity via a signal flag by the M Scaler.

Hmmm I and I guess many more than me could care less whether you can afford it. If you can't afford things, I'd suggest you earn more money and in the meantime go buy yourself a Mojo2. It's very good.

So I thank Rob and John for working so hard to put out yet more of the best sounding digital audio conversion possible, something that could bring so much enrichment to so many peoples' lives.

Also want to tell that I am super excited what the new M Scaler will bring to musical enjoyment and watching movies with Shield and the full one second delay. SUPER EXCITED! Of course I hope it is not too expensive but we have no right to tell someone who invested years of his life into this amazing technology how to price it, although I do not agree with your and christers tone, I think we can voice or opinions a little more civil and understanding. It takes the fun out of this forum if we start to talk like bullies unless I just did not get the joke or something since english is not my native tongue. Cheers.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #4,068 of 4,673
John and I have agreed a few days ago on a new name that we are both happy with.
My gues is ”Frank” as it shows the music bluntly without colorations 😁
…and then when DX amps finally come out they are called Toby. Toby Frank (to) Dave, Yesss!😂

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #4,069 of 4,673
Hmmm I and I guess many more than me could care less whether you can afford it. If you can't afford things, I'd suggest you earn more money and in the meantime go buy yourself a Mojo2. It's very good.

So I thank Rob and John for working so hard to put out yet more of the best sounding digital audio conversion possible, something that could bring so much enrichment to so many peoples' lives.hanks for your kind words and advice.
Thanks for your kind words and your advice.
Although the thought of possibly getting a Mojo 2 as a travel dac option provided that it will work with my Mscaler to its full capacity, has crossed my mind ,I have currently no need for one at home where I already have a Qutest/Mscaler combo.
Cheers CC

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #4,070 of 4,673
My gues is ”Frank” as it shows the music bluntly without colorations 😁
To continue the speculating spree, I would suggest or vote for GORE. Because he writes lyrics and songs DAVE mostly presents. But they sound way better completely performed by GORE while DAVE taking a break. The second reason for GORE may be the following: in a room with other DACs he leaves just gore. But this would possibly be too bloodthirsty. So I would better go with "Martin Lee" or ML.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #4,072 of 4,673
Rob has described the new scaler as being stuffed, i.e. considerably more complex than DAVE, so expect it to cost about £13K or $17K - that's my guess.
if so I wont be owning it....too rich for my blood and I highly doubt it...I do love how people here put huge price tags on products

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #4,073 of 4,673
if so I wont be owning it....too rich for my blood and I highly doubt it...I do love how people here put huge price tags on products
That's not a huge increment over DAVE, for what it's worth. DAVE has got a lot more expensive since you bought yours. You've had yours since shortly after it was launched, haven't you?

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #4,074 of 4,673
That's not a huge increment over DAVE, for what it's worth. DAVE has got a lot more expensive since you bought yours. You've had yours since shortly after it was launched, haven't you?
actually I dont think the Dave retail price is as high as it was when I bought one and given the current cost of the M-scaler no way I spend 12-15K

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #4,075 of 4,673
Wondering whether this new Scaler is capable to be paired and used with Hugo2 let's say? Could you provide your experience on how Hugo2 changes compared with Mscaler? Thanks!

Interesting thing, i've experienced all possible combinations of Chord Dac's and Mscaler in the chain (Mscaled (half) Mojo, Mojo2, Hugo2 Scaled, TT2 Mscaled, DAVE solo and DAVE Mscaled. Now had switched for solo Dave for 2 months, and could easily say that i miss very much on what m scaler gives, and those 2years with Mscaled TT2 were really very joyfull sounding. As life is changing alongside other family projects and due to afcource financial reasons i do not opt for Mscaled Dave now and actually letting Dave itself too and right now sitting with Hugo2go and DCA Stealth's.

But to sum up my experience:

1. Mscaler is must, regardless how good and transparent DAC is. Sure at least Hugo2/qutest level is a must according to my brain.

2. In my experience solo DAVE didn't worked out (considering how i felt music for 2 years with TT2/HMS/WAVE).

3. Hugo22go and DCA Stealth's they do perfect job for music reproduction.

4. To get goosebumps and joy The Scaler is must and i really miss it... now knowing that Choral scaler is on the way. But afcourse main question is WHETER it would work with Hugo2 at least?

Thanks.

Sure all M scalers will work with all current DACs. Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 both accept the dual data connection, and any M scaler must work reliably with them. Indeed, I use a Hugo 2 a lot when travelling with my Hugo M scaler, so I am fully motivated!

Agreed about the M scaler - it's the musical enjoyment benefits that make it essential - and getting emotional with music isn't something one experiences with a short AB test. You have to live with it to get an assessment. I sometimes get a hard time from audiophiles about using my M scaler on a plane - but it's absolutely worth the effort.

Also want to tell that I am super excited what the new M Scaler will bring to musical enjoyment and watching movies with Shield and the full one second delay. SUPER EXCITED! Of course I hope it is not too expensive but we have no right to tell someone who invested years of his life into this amazing technology how to price it, although I do not agree with your and christers tone, I think we can voice or opinions a little more civil and understanding. It takes the fun out of this forum if we start to talk like bullies unless I just did not get the joke or something since english is not my native tongue. Cheers.

I was very surprised and delighted how much difference the full 1s made with Nvidia Shield.

The World is turning into a very dangerous place, with it feeling today more like the 1930's not an enlightened new century. So at least we must try to keep our hobby civil - after all, it's supposed to be about enjoying music not making enemies. So I agree entirely that the forum should be fun and with polite disagreements (we all have differing viewpoints, tastes and hearing sensitivity) - which thankfully it mostly is.

Happy listening, Rob

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #4,076 of 4,673
So assuming the new scaler is (just) within your grasp.. how many of you will blindly, or i should say deafly preorder?

I probably will await an audition.. cause the current scaler can either improve alot(being fed a clean signal) as well degrade(on modern pre processed signals) the sound to my ears.

I expect these opposite ends will be only be further apart.. meaning with the new scaler i will still hardware bypass it with certain music.

But i hope im wrong :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #4,077 of 4,673
If the price is right, and there is the expectation of improvement over the current MScaler, then sure, it's an immediate buy as it's an easy way of upgrading my digital side. Right now, the quality expectation is there, so it's going to be down to price...

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #4,078 of 4,673
actually I dont think the Dave retail price is as high as it was when I bought one and given the current cost of the M-scaler no way I spend 12-15K
DAVE price has increased by 30%+ since launch.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #4,079 of 4,673
I will order the new Choral M Scaler immediately upon release, (if the price is fair by my own expectations). I have no concerns on whether the new unit will deliver. I have bought enough Chord products over the last 20 (plus) years to trust Rob's ears and his (and John's) professional integrity.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #4,080 of 4,673
Thanks for your kind words and your advice.
Although the thought of possibly getting a Mojo 2 as a travel dac option provided that it will work with my Mscaler to its full capacity, has crossed my mind ,I have currently no need for one at home where I already have a Qutest/Mscaler combo.
Cheers CC
Nice. I haven't heard the Qutest, but I've only read good things. And of course the M-Scaler is a masterpiece (in my system anyway).

And I apologize for my previous tone. I appreciate that you want the gear and you wish it could be priced in a good place for you. We're all actually in that same boat. And I'm sure Rob heard you.

But his enormous generosity sharing all the information he does has also made him the recipient of unending underserved criticism which I'm sure must be infuriating and exhausting and I suspect he's eager to create a product that puts all that clearly to bed.

I have no doubt he'll do just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back