Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7,247 of 14,272
Quote:
anyone else have an interest in Russian-made watches?

those by companies like Vostok, Maktime, Volmax, and what used to be Poljot?

I cant wait for my Vostok Komandirskie 431186 to ship in for the next couple weeks.

usually novelty watches, but i like how they're from Russia, which Russian items arent what you call common in America.

Here is a thread in a Russian forum dedicated to Vostok Komandirskie.

Interesting, on this forum they order watches of their own design from Minsk ( Belarus) under the brand "Луч" ( around $100 for an item). You can look at the former batch here. Now they create another group with another design dedicated to a Russian car. The watch has only one hand which is unusual for me. What is the point? It seems that this watch is like a piece of decoration rather than a functional device.  

May 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #7,248 of 14,272
Quote:

Now they create another group with another design dedicated to a Russian car. The watch has only one hand which is unusual for me. What is the point? It seems that this watch is like a piece of decoration rather than a functional device.  

:D 

It's relatively common. The markers between the hour tell the approximate minutes. The hour hand makes one full circle every 12 hours.

Here's another quirky one, the time is 04:41

May 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7,249 of 14,272
I see quite alot of Vostok watches with the Circle & Dash bezel. on forums like Watchuseek, and any other forum/post board dedicated to something Vostok.

There really should be a entitlement to these designs and bezels. since alot are universally used by Vostok. I suppose a title for each of the designs would be easy to distinguish and entitle them.

I personally like this Bezel

but then again.. a Russian-watch fanatic would not settle for JUST one type...

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #7,251 of 14,272

my Vostok Komandirskie #431186 finally came in after 3 1/2 weeks.

im happy to recieve it, my first Russian watch, my First mechanical watch, and my first ever watchpurchase(i usually get hand-me-downs)
Like they say, theres a first to everything!

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #7,252 of 14,272
Did you get it new from Vostok? I had heard that they were shutting down their operations, but I haven't heard if they actually did go out of business or if they pulled through somehow. I think Poljot is already gone...

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #7,254 of 14,272
Did you get it new from Vostok? I had heard that they were shutting down their operations, but I haven't heard if they actually did go out of business or if they pulled through somehow. I think Poljot is already gone...

I do read in the WUS forum about interviewing Vostok.

And that Vostok is under some tough times. that they arent a perfect company.

Though i dont know alot about whats going on, but i hope they dont go belly-up.

I find them such unique watches. I love the personal feeling of wearing a piece of Russia on my wrist.

just today i got quite some attention with my Vostok as i just recieved it.

Sure they have alot of competition for a affordable watch making company, but they stand out because of their history, how they are made, and how unique they are. (Besides Vostok-Europe which make premium watches)

on a side note: The watches make great conversation pieces.

I kinda look at Vostok like Gradolabs, i know them primarily by word-of-text. and a cult-following of "vostok" enthusiasts.

and to answer your question:

I bought it new from Zenitar (and i highly recommend Zenitar, great customer support) which he states that the watch is brand new.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #7,255 of 14,272

another picture of "Vostok Komandirskie #431186"

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #7,256 of 14,272
Quote:
I do read in the WUS forum about interviewing Vostok.

And that Vostok is under some tough times. that they arent a perfect company.

Though i dont know alot about whats going on, but i hope they dont go belly-up.

I find them such unique watches. I love the personal feeling of wearing a piece of Russia on my wrist.

just today i got quite some attention with my Vostok as i just recieved it.

Sure they have alot of competition for a affordable watch making company, but they stand out because of their history, how they are made, and how unique they are. (Besides Vostok-Europe which make premium watches)

on a side note: The watches make great conversation pieces.

I kinda look at Vostok like Gradolabs, i know them primarily by word-of-text. and a cult-following of "vostok" enthusiasts.

and to answer your question:

I bought it new from Zenitar (and i highly recommend Zenitar, great customer support) which he states that the watch is brand new.

Thanks, I hope that they are still making them. They aren't the best in terms of fit and finish, but the movements are quite nice and the history does add a bit of intrigue. I got some mechanical alarm watches directly from Vostok about a year ago, so I know they were operational then. Here are most of my current Russian mechanicals (minus the Volna in the back, which I sold):

The back two are an Amphibia and Kommandirskie, the front two are Poljots; a 3133 chrono and an aviator alarm. I didn't have the Vostok mechanical alarm when I took this photo. I got a glass caseback for the chrono, so it looks like this on the back:

Sorry about the crappy pics, I hadn't gotten my DSLR yet when I took these photos.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7,257 of 14,272
Thanks, I hope that they are still making them. They aren't the best in terms of fit and finish, but the movements are quite nice and the history does add a bit of intrigue. I got some mechanical alarm watches directly from Vostok about a year ago, so I know they were operational then. Here are most of my current Russian mechanicals (minus the Volna in the back, which I sold):

The back two are an Amphibia and Kommandirskie, the front two are Poljots; a 3133 chrono and an aviator alarm. I didn't have the Vostok mechanical alarm when I took this photo. I got a glass caseback for the chrono, so it looks like this on the back:

Sorry about the crappy pics, I hadn't gotten my DSLR yet when I took these photos.

indeed, Watch-enthusiasm is just as unique as Audio-reproduction and Enthusiasm.

Not every product is perfect, and mistakes are key to getting closer to perfection!

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #7,258 of 14,272
Quote:

That alarm pilot looks great! I'm still looking for a perfect pilot, gonna check out Poljot as well now! Thanks. :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #7,259 of 14,272
the good thing is that becuase all these movements were designed to be economical to be mass produced in the good old fashion "soviet way", so the alarm might not be the same quality as a JLC or a Vulcain, but you can find them for 1/20 the price.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #7,260 of 14,272
Apparently the Swiss alarm caliber that the Russian one is based off was actually less reliable and had fewer jewels than the Russian one. Unfortunately, they've stopped producing the alarm caliber, since it cost as much to make as a chronograph movement but people were not willing to pay chronograph prices for them. You can get very good deals on used ones or NOS ones, though. That alarm pilot that I have I got used for under $100 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back