Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #7,216 of 14,276
Some worry about their reps looking genuine so they can "pull it off."  
Personally, I don't care if it says IWC or Parnis on the face. 
My first rep was when I wrote a Parnis dealer and asked if they had a "sterile" one. 
He said "no, but I have one with IWC on the face."  

Quote:
I were to look down and know that I was wearing a replica, that wouldn't make me happy. 

If a brand or price made me happy, then I'd feel pretty shallow.  
I fall for watches based on design.  
If I'm wearing a rep and someone asks, I say it's a rep. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #7,218 of 14,276
Quote:
My wrist today. Vintage Vostok Komandirskie from 1982 on a military bund strap from the Ukraine. 

Usually we don't find our ( former USSR) products prestigious ( be it watches, manual lenses, headphones etc.). The reason is that we always thought that foreign production was superior. On the other hand some of the stuff was of really decent quality for the price but just lacking in gloss.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #7,219 of 14,276
I wouldnt buy fake headphones - why would I buy a fake watch ? Plenty of cheaper 'lookalikes' from established manufacturers like Timex anyway - no need to insult a brand by buying a watch with their *name* on it and none of their workmanship 'under the hood'. How would we feel if there were so many 'convincing' copies of the LCD3 out there that only Audez'e could tell the genuine from the fakes based purely on appearance ? Just my two cents worth.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #7,220 of 14,276
I wouldnt buy fake headphones - why would I buy a fake watch ? Plenty of cheaper 'lookalikes' from established manufacturers like Timex anyway - no need to insult a brand by buying a watch with their *name* on it and none of their workmanship 'under the hood'. How would we feel if there were so many 'convincing' copies of the LCD3 out there that only Audez'e could tell the genuine from the fakes based purely on appearance ? Just my two cents worth.

Agreed! Before I could afford the ones I have now I loved (and still do and own!) brands such as Seiko, Timex and my favourite, Citizen.

I am not a fan of Pam's but I remember being at a watch meet once and someone had a genuine 1950 and one of the Jackson Tse replica's. He bought the replica just to see if he had been a mug buying the Pam. I have to be honest, from a distance they looked very alike and to anyone who does not know watches they would be regarded as the same. However. They are nothing alike in terms of build quality. The Pam obviously is way better but that is not the point.

At the cost of the replica a Citizen or Seiko is far better quality than these replica's also. I don't know, I just don't see the point. I know people like the design of the Pam and want it cheaper and one can argue the day is long that Swiss watches are over priced but that really misses the point. If you gauge everything on price versus worth then we would all end up with some no name cheap quartz watch from a market that will be more accurate than my Rolex.

But it is not about that I feel. For me as a teenager there were three watches I vowed one day I would own. Staring at them in my local jewellers window something about them just kept me gazing at them. I have now two of the three, the Air-King and the Cartier Tank. I just have the Rolex president to go which will hopefully be this year.

Are they worth what they cost, to me yes, to others no but then I am not asking them to wear them!

I have found after nearly 50 years walking this earth the best decisions I have made have been the ones made with my heart, not my head. It's why I now choose my listening equipment not on measurements but by how much they engage me on an emotional level.

Same with work, I simply will not do work that I do not enjoy doing and that feeds me in more ways than simply money. I just adjust my life to take lower paid work that interests me rather than higher paid work just so I can have things and nice holidays!

Sorry, convoluted post and if you enjoy your homages more power to you, who am I to say the sterile ones don't bring you enjoyment but I draw the line at a watch that calls itself a Rolex but is not, that is just fake and cheap and if I saw someone who was wearing one then my opinion of them would be the same as that of the watch!

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #7,221 of 14,276
For me, it's sad that many folk now *assume* that a watch is fake simply because there are so many fakes out there. Imagine if it got that bad with headphones ....

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #7,222 of 14,276
I used to like homages, but outright fakes I tried to shy away from. I found my money was better invested in vintage pieces, which can often be found for the same prices as new homage pieces and only increase in value. Now I have a respectable collection of Accutrons that's fairly valueable.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #7,223 of 14,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then why didn't you just buy the Parnis labeled one instead? 

I did.  Several.  But I buy quality and use websites to find them.  Parnis are sometimes a couple notches down (but cheaper). 

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #7,224 of 14,276
Quote:
I used to like homages, but outright fakes I tried to shy away from. I found my money was better invested in vintage pieces, which can often be found for the same prices as new homage pieces and only increase in value. Now I have a respectable collection of Accutrons that's fairly valueable.

Seeing the (skeleton dial) Accutron online is what got me into watches in the first place. And I still don't own one! 25 other watches got in the way... :) It's still on my list though. They're pretty hard to get in my country though and when I find them they're always $500+. Lots of competition in that price bracket... 

What I'm ogling right now:

Christopher Ward C60 Trident Automatic with charcoal bezel. Pictures don't this watch justice. It looks like a million bucks in real life. I always wanted an Omega Seamaster GMT but ever since I fondled this C60... It's that good!

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #7,225 of 14,276
Quote:

Usually we don't find our ( former USSR) products prestigious ( be it watches, manual lenses, headphones etc.). The reason is that we always thought that foreign production was superior. On the other hand some of the stuff was of really decent quality for the price but just lacking in gloss.

I recently discovered Russian watches and fell in love. I've bought a Vostok Amphibia 420 as well and it's lovely. Quirky, effective, nostalgic yet iconic. For the money you can't go wrong! Be proud! :) 

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #7,226 of 14,276
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #7,227 of 14,276
Quote:
You can still find the Spaceview reasonably on the 'Bay. Just be careful you don't get one that someone took a regular Accutron and Frankensteined it (at least too badly, technically if it is one of the sanctioned cases with the regular 214 movement and crystal, it's a Spaceview). http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULOVA-ACCUTRON-214-Spaceview-/111038894983?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19da6f1387 That one looks like a decent example.

Thanks! If I'm getting one it will be this model though. I just love that shield case. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #7,229 of 14,276
That new spaceview is stunning. My local watch store had one for a while and I loved it. They told me an enlightening fact about it. Citizen lose a great deal of money on each one sold as the watch is reverse engineered. In other words they had to take an old model apart and re draw each component as there were no original drawings remaining. Each watch is completely hand made. They said that of all the watches in their store (zenith, JLC, Frank Mueller, Grand Seiko, Omega) this one has the most man hours to make! Makes the cost a bargain looking at it that way! I love my vintage Accutron.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #7,230 of 14,276

My favourites! Don't like wearing the big bang for too long though as it's so heavy compared to the cartier :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back