Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 24, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7,186 of 14,270
Quote:

This is subjective though. My wrist is 17cm/6,7" and I think my 44mm pilots look fine. I even wear 47mm and 50mm watches and still don't feel like I'm wearing clown shoes. :wink: Actually, I always prefer watches larger than 42mm for myself. It really depends on the case design though. As long as the lugs curve with your wrist it'll look good. 

I have a 6.75" wrist, and the CW C10 at 42mm fits well.  Don't think I'd go higher than that, but yeah it does depend on design, the Stowa Antea being a prime example where I have the 365 instead of the 390.

Btw did see your post asking for C10 pics, but I absolutely suck at watch photography.  I tried :frowning2:

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #7,187 of 14,270
Quote:
I read somewhere that Hamilton is no longer owned by Americans, but you wouldn't know it from their website. 

That is correct. Hamilton was purchased by the Swatch Group so they are Swiss owned now. Same group that owns Omega, Blancpain, Breguet, Glashutte, Tissot, etc.

Swatch also owns the ubiquitous ETA SA movement company so most of their mid-range brands and even some of their luxury watches house ETA movements. Even competing luxury brands like Panerai and IWC use ETA movements in several of their models. 

The Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer that you are interested in features the ETA 2895 movement.   

It's kind of sad that Hamilton is no longer an American watch maker, but at least the brand will carry on and most of the designs they still sell are classic Hamilton like the Ventura. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7,189 of 14,270
Just picked up a tissot t-classic dream as my entry level watch~ never had anything apart from the kiddy ones that irritated the crap out my skin and so far I'm loving it~

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #7,193 of 14,270

This is my Fossil Watch that I have had for 2 years I believe. Nothin special... especially compared to some that I have on this thread. But I love it, never leave without it, otherwise I'll have a mini panic attack. Anyways its nothin much but its something that I can wear on a daily basis and not worry about, hopefully I'll save up some money in the future to get a fancy watch.

P.S. For all that will ask I do wear my watch on my right hand and yes I am right handed as well. Call me a little strange, But it works for me :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #7,196 of 14,270
I bought myself another Certina watch today. I had been browsing through some cheaper Seiko and Orient automatic models to be used as a casual watch but I somehow ended up on a local Certina dealers website. From there I found DS Podium Big Size. It's everything I've been looking for. Simple and clear black dial, stainless steel all around and it has a very strong and robust feel. Finishing is excellent. The sporty looking red second hand tops the cake. 

I also got Citizen Eco Drive AW0015-08E for a good price so I ordered one to try it out. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #7,197 of 14,270
Thank you for everyones input on my watch choices. Spent the past two weeks thinking more on it and trying out a couple of different watches. Like a few people pointed out for my smaller wrists about 40mm is the maximum that looks good, anything bigger tends to look too big and bulky.

Though I did see a unsual coloured Hamilton khaki field auto 40mm that caught my attention but the Hamilton site picture does not do it justice.
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/khaki/field/auto-40mm/H70595523
Though this site does have some much better pictures of it the face still looks more yellow than it does in the metal.
http://watch-tanaka2.sub.jp/HAMILTON/H70595523/

Seems that at the moment the main contenders are the Stowa Ikarus and Antea, 39mm Archimede pilots and finally the gold/bronze (No idea what Hamilton call it) Khaki Field Auto 40mm.

@Covenant: The spec on the Tissot is very good for the price but im not sold on its style, though shall keep an eye out for it.

@Negaluinu: Did not know of Graf Zepplin but unfortunately none of the designs jump out at me.

@Borat: Thanks for the information on the 8 series stutter. Knowing I need a smaller style makes  the Archmiede and Aristo tempting.

@SpudHarris: In the end though I decided agasint foing a PVD watch in case of scratching but its just too big. Shame though as it is stuning in the pictures.

@Estreeter: Not sure if the special edition Hamilton is a clock or a watch
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #7,198 of 14,270
Quote:
Though I did see a unsual coloured Hamilton khaki field auto 40mm that caught my attention but the Hamilton site picture does not do it justice.
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/khaki/field/auto-40mm/H70595523
Though this site does have some much better pictures of it the face still looks more yellow than it does in the metal.
http://watch-tanaka2.sub.jp/HAMILTON/H70595523/

Seems that at the moment the main contenders are the Stowa Ikarus and Antea, 39mm Archimede pilots and finally the gold/bronze (No idea what Hamilton call it) Khaki Field Auto 40mm.

That Hamilton is nice. The dial is a khaki color fitting of the name, which is sort of like a beige/tan. 

I used to own a Khaki King and really enjoyed it while I had it. The only small gripe I had with that model is that the polished bezel tended to show micro scratches. The model you're looking at has a similar polished bezel so just a heads up if that sort of thing bothers you. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #7,199 of 14,270
Quote:
@Estreeter: Not sure if the special edition Hamilton is a clock or a watch
tongue_smile.gif

Cheapy, it most definitely is a watch - the 'Marine Chronograph' mounting is purely for those who get off on that sort of thing. I believe the Hamilton you linked to would look absolutely sensational with a blue face, but then I'm a sucker for almost anything with a blue face. Hamilton is still the front runner for my 'cash splash' in 2014, but I expect to see an awful lot of watches between now and then. Just like headphone amps, we fall in love again and again and again 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back