Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7,171 of 14,276
$500 will buy you a moded Swiss ETA 2836-2 replica of a sub. For another $100 you can get a real bezel, this build will be indistinguishable from the real thing unless you take out the movement and check the serial numbers. 
I would also agree that any money someone offers you for your Rolex in an emergency will be based on the assumption that it is a fake unless you can provide documentation and proof that it is genuine. These days when I see someone wearing a Rolex (or a Hublot) I assume it is a replica, unless I know the person well.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #7,172 of 14,276
Quote:
These days when I see someone wearing a Rolex (or a Hublot) I assume it is a replica, unless I know the person well.

Absolutely. IWC, Panerai and Audemars as well. Those 1:1 replicas are so easy to get online. That's why I don't start up a conversation with people that wear one of those brands anymore, since most of the time they wear replicas. It makes seeing someone with a boutique brand out in the wild even cooler though. Just last week I had a really cool chat with someone I bumped into in a restaurant, wearing a vintage golden Seamaster. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #7,174 of 14,276
Got myself a cheaper automatic watch to be used on occasions when Certina DS-1 might be a bit too tidy.

Orient EM7K001B

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #7,176 of 14,276
Currently I am looking for my first serious watch and would appreciate some help from more knowledgeable members than me on watches.

Use: Main use for semi-smart office use (shirt, tie, pants but no suit jacket) and smart events
Budget: up to £500 ($760)
Movement: Definitely mechanical and preferably automatic but will not rule out hand wind
Complications: Would like a date but that would be the only complication I would use
Size: Believe I am ~6.75" wrist. Currently using a Timex Expedition that is 40mm diameter, 46mm lug to lug that fits quite well, max I could get away with may be about ~44mm diameter I’m thinking.
Waterproof: Being in the rainy UK means the watch must be at least rain proof which I believe is equivalent to a 30m (3ATM) waterproof rating?

The watch is for a 21st so I am looking for something that would last for years (decades even) with a relatively timeless design, I am not fussed on brand so long as the quality is there. But (the engineer in me) would like a display case back if possible to be able to see the mechanism at work. Currently I am drawn towards the more Flieger style watches being simple and smart. Below are some of the watches I am considering to give you an idea.

Stowa Ikarus
Love the style and the unique rhodium plated grey face makes it something very different. Current favourite of all I have seen.
http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetail,136141006119549,en,1361411038-24512,flieger,ikarus,6,Tshowrub--flieger,.htm

Christopher Ward C8 MKII - U2
Again something different. My concern with such a choice if is too casual a watch and how the PVD coating would hold up over the years.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens-watches/c8-kvkt-mk2.html?limit=all

Victorinox AirBoss Mechanical
Similar style to the others but just does not look as special as the others above.
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Timepieces/Category/Professional/AirBoss/AirBoss-Mechanical/241507

Laco Altenburg/Steinghart Flieger
Again the Laco has the black PVD so not sure about wear problems. The titanium Laco's and Steinharts look interesting but most seem to say the Stowa is the better built watch plus the Steinhart has no waterproof rating.

I have looked at Nomos (too expensive), Sinn 566 (too expensive), Timefactors (v. small company, still be around?) but each have their flaws.
Stowa always seem to impress people with the build quality compared to other Flieger watch makers and it provides a unique watch which is why it’s currently my favourite. But I cannot see one in the flesh which is a shame. Though I am prepared for the 3 month wait for the Stowa.

Hope I have included all the required information. Any additional suggestions or experience with above watches are welcome!
Would also be interested to know of differences (if any) in the mechanisms in my price range. Looks like my budget will get me the ETA 2824-2 or a Sellita SW200-1 mainly.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #7,177 of 14,276
Hi Cheapy,

That Stowa model looks lovely. I'd check out the specs on its movement though.

Personally I'm considering the Tissot "Luxury Automatic" T086.408.16.051.00:
http://www.tissot.ch/?collections/products/6614/n/TISSOT_LUXURY_AUTOMATIC/T086.408.16.051.00

It's a certified chronometer with 80 hour power reserve and sapphire crystal faceplate for approx $1,225 AUD.

That ticks all the boxes for me really, and it's very inexpensive for a COSC-certified watch. I know it's beyond your budget of $760, but I reckon this is about as good as price/performance ratio can get.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #7,179 of 14,276
Quote:
Currently I am looking for my first serious watch and would appreciate some help from more knowledgeable members than me on watches.

Use: Main use for semi-smart office use (shirt, tie, pants but no suit jacket) and smart events
Budget: up to £500 ($760)
Movement: Definitely mechanical and preferably automatic but will not rule out hand wind
Complications: Would like a date but that would be the only complication I would use
Size: Believe I am ~6.75" wrist. Currently using a Timex Expedition that is 40mm diameter, 46mm lug to lug that fits quite well, max I could get away with may be about ~44mm diameter I’m thinking.
Waterproof: Being in the rainy UK means the watch must be at least rain proof which I believe is equivalent to a 30m (3ATM) waterproof rating?

The watch is for a 21st so I am looking for something that would last for years (decades even) with a relatively timeless design, I am not fussed on brand so long as the quality is there. But (the engineer in me) would like a display case back if possible to be able to see the mechanism at work. Currently I am drawn towards the more Flieger style watches being simple and smart. Below are some of the watches I am considering to give you an idea.

Stowa Ikarus
Love the style and the unique rhodium plated grey face makes it something very different. Current favourite of all I have seen.
http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetail,136141006119549,en,1361411038-24512,flieger,ikarus,6,Tshowrub--flieger,.htm

Christopher Ward C8 MKII - U2
Again something different. My concern with such a choice if is too casual a watch and how the PVD coating would hold up over the years.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens-watches/c8-kvkt-mk2.html?limit=all

Victorinox AirBoss Mechanical
Similar style to the others but just does not look as special as the others above.
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Timepieces/Category/Professional/AirBoss/AirBoss-Mechanical/241507

Laco Altenburg/Steinghart Flieger
Again the Laco has the black PVD so not sure about wear problems. The titanium Laco's and Steinharts look interesting but most seem to say the Stowa is the better built watch plus the Steinhart has no waterproof rating.

I have looked at Nomos (too expensive), Sinn 566 (too expensive), Timefactors (v. small company, still be around?) but each have their flaws.
Stowa always seem to impress people with the build quality compared to other Flieger watch makers and it provides a unique watch which is why it’s currently my favourite. But I cannot see one in the flesh which is a shame. Though I am prepared for the 3 month wait for the Stowa.

Hope I have included all the required information. Any additional suggestions or experience with above watches are welcome!
Would also be interested to know of differences (if any) in the mechanisms in my price range. Looks like my budget will get me the ETA 2824-2 or a Sellita SW200-1 mainly.

I have had a Laco Augsburg pilot before. Same as the Altenburg, but with satin finish not PVD. The case finish was nice, but I really couldn't get used to the Miyota 821A movement. The rotor only winds in one direction and free spins in the other. Also has the infamous Miyota 8 series stutter. I'm not a big fan of those movements, but the jump to an ETA equipped Laco is pricey.  

But Laco and Stowa are two of the original 1940s B-Uhr manufacturers so if historical significance means anything to you, they have that going for them. The others were A. Lange & Sohne, IWC, and Wempe so I think those are out of your (and my) price range.  

Also take a look at Archimede watches for pilot style with Swiss ETA movements and clear case backs:

http://www.archimede-watches.com/archimede-watches-collection-pilot-deckwatch-klassik-diver-outdoor-automatic-handwound-chronograph-2824-6498-7750/pilot-watch-automatic-2824-handwound-6498-chronograph-7750-b-watch.html

Also Aristo:

http://gnomonwatches.com/Product-view.asp?id=2

Also, just my opinion, but I think a 44mm pilot watch will look giant on a 6.75" wrist. Pilot watches wear quite large due to their thin bezels compared to say divers with rotating bezels in the same size. My advice would be to stay within the 40mm range. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #7,180 of 14,276
Quote:

Also, just my opinion, but I think a 44mm pilot watch will look giant on a 6.75" wrist. Pilot watches wear quite large due to their thin bezels compared to say divers with rotating bezels in the same size. My advice would be to stay within the 40mm range. 

This is subjective though. My wrist is 17cm/6,7" and I think my 44mm pilots look fine. I even wear 47mm and 50mm watches and still don't feel like I'm wearing clown shoes. :wink: Actually, I always prefer watches larger than 42mm for myself. It really depends on the case design though. As long as the lugs curve with your wrist it'll look good. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #7,182 of 14,276
Any recommendations for a sub $100 watch? Leather strap preferred? I'm kind of a broke college student but I've always drooled over watches but know nothing about them.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7,183 of 14,276
I read somewhere that Hamilton is no longer owned by Americans, but you wouldn't know it from their website. In any case, I really like their Khaki Navy Pioneer:

I read that one of the things newbies like myself should look for in a watch is consistent pricing, even accounting for heavy 'discounting' (a common retailer tactic) off the RRP. Thus far, converting the prices I've found for this watch to AUD, the prices are very consistent - around the 1K AUD mark - and that's an affordable watch in my world. I just like the simple, classic appearance of this watch - I know nothing about the movement etc (ok - its an automatic - fine with me) but Hamilton claim their watches are based on 'Swiss Precision'. I'm not particularly hung up on Swiss manufacture - if the label said 'Seiko', 'Citizen' or 'Casio', I would still lust after a watch that looks this good. I expect that many who know watches may shake their heads at such naivety, but I'm being honest - the white dial, blue hands and overall lack of 'bells and whistles' just does it for me - YMMV. I' can see why enthusiasts become so engrossed in the watch as a thing of beauty vs its role as a status symbol - I dont know if there are Hamilton fakes out there, but I'm sure I can find a reputable dealer somewhere in 2014. I love vintage Omegas too, but I'm not sure they are a good investment for a newbie like myself - no plans to spend months waiting for my watch to be repaired. Happy to hear from those who own any of the classics - its just difficult to imagine a watch designed for maritime use in 1959 standing up to over 5 decades of use - beautiful watches, though. 

For those who want something a little more impressive, Hamilton have a Limited Edition version of this watch at almost three times the price, but it certainly looks the goods mounted in it's 'nautical' setting:

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7,184 of 14,276
I've been waiting for this one to go back in stock, which seems to rarely occur.

I only have one watch and need to expand the collection a little bit. 

Current and only watch:

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #7,185 of 14,276
Insilin1i, I think you've done very well, but then I've made my own bias known - they are both classic designs and immensely appealing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back