Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #7,146 of 14,275
Ah, the ones where you can see all the workings are called Skeleton watches :D
Love the look of them.

Look at this one as an example:

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-bulova-bva-series-505-skeleton-automatic-watch-98a108-p99935480.html

Or haha, a more expensive one:

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-bulova-accutron-kirkwood-skeleton-automatic-watch-63a000-p99950725.html

This one doesn't look so bad either:

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-rotary-skeleton-mechanical-watch-gs02841-21-p99954815.html

This also looks different:

Android watch

You tell me this doesn't look so so kewl. I'm getting one :)

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #7,147 of 14,275
More of a technology question but if I'm going to find some expertise, I think it's going to be in this thread!

I have a Seiko Kinetic ... yes, I know, you're all just about to point me at a capacitor replacement kit. That's probably the answer but I'd like an opinion on how likely alternative/additional issues may be before I try that.

The watch is a 5M63 and my understanding is that it should already have a Li-ion cell, good for 20+ years and with a reserve of several months. I've charged it to the 30s indicator by swinging it rather than by just wearing it. Let's be pessimistic and say it's just gone over the 20s indicator. The watch stops overnight. It started to deteriorate when I'd had the watch (from new) for about 5-6 years and at the time I was wearing it through the working week. Then it stopped holding charge over the weekend. Once or twice when I've pressed the indicator button, the second hand has juddered in place without advancing. After 5, 10, 20, 30s, whatever the charge would have been, it carried on as normal. Is this indicative of anything or just an anomaly?

Any thoughts on it being something other than the battery in the battery-less watch? (What a con that turned out to be!)

Seiko UK just issued a standard, 'send it to us for a once over, that'll be £90 (+shipping), thanks'. No mention of replacement kits or issues with Kinetics. Didn't really address the specifics. Disappointing.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #7,151 of 14,275
@Klaatu: Your Monaco looks good with the fat leather strap but I still think the strap would suit a Panerai-type of watch better. If you want to use a leather strap with the Monaco a black crocodile strap would be my personal choice 
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #7,152 of 14,275
Quote:
@Klaatu: Your Monaco looks good with the fat leather strap but I still think the strap would suit a Panerai-type of watch better. If you want to use a leather strap with the Monaco a black crocodile strap would be my personal choice 
redface.gif

Heh, you and every other watch geek I know. Either black croc or a black ralley with white stitching
regular_smile .gif
Some of them are pretty insistent about it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7,153 of 14,275
Quote:
redface.gif

X2, I have a strap that looks like it on my 90 and love it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7,154 of 14,275
Quote:
Heh, you and every other watch geek I know. Either black croc or a black ralley with white stitching
regular_smile%20.gif
Some of them are pretty insistent about it.

hehe yeah, exactly - and I think it never hurts trying something different. Maybe I am just a bit too conservative when it comes to watches 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back