Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #6,301 of 14,272

Quote:
We have all become infected with the nonsense of most watch forums that say if it ain't got a 300m water resistance it ain't worth diddly squat
biggrin.gif
!!

Yeah, I totally loved that over on watchuseek when a new guy showed up asking for advice and a whole slew of top end forum-goers told him that a watch rated for 100m was an absolutely terrible idea for regular swimming and how he should be looking at least at 150m or better if he was going to use the watch for swimming. When asked further, they stated that they'd only trust 100m for use in the shower or during rain. It was all I could do to keep from laughing at the sheer absurdity. If a 100m rated watch cannot or should not be used for swimming in a couple of meters of water, what is the point of recommending an overkill 300m watch? Just say, 'Don't wear a watch if swimming' :D As it is, the 300m rating on most watches is overkill for most people's use as many watches that are designed to those specs (Rolex Submariner, Omega Seamaster), while still used by several people for their intended purpose as a diving watch, are mostly worn these days as show-pieces, or as everyday watches.

Quote:
however, i thought the case back was an indicator of quality if not water resistance.

Check out this review of the design methodology for the Vostok Amphibia.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

The watch is rated for 200 meters, but it is effectively a pressed in case-back with a screwed on locking ring - uses the best of both worlds, but shows how both types of case-back have their benefits and flaws.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #6,302 of 14,272
per the post a bit back. i also really dislike pvd watches. especially expensive ones. agreed, they look like crud after two years. can't they coat watches with haiii? i also have some watches that have a subtle tint to the stainless steel but it is certainly not pvd. anyone know what process that is? it seems way more durable but it gets finger marks all over it.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #6,304 of 14,272
I love that Lacroix! Was at my local Cartier boutique the other day and was ogling their new skeletons.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #6,305 of 14,272

Quote:
I decided to wear something besides my Sub.

Im not sure if i could pull wearing one of them... being in tenth grade... id have to be wearing a suit! Also what model is that?

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #6,310 of 14,272
that sort of looks like a "master" but it is somewhat different. ml makes watches from $600 to $50,000. hint: that is not one of the $600 ones lol.

on that note, i have to ask is anything sacred anymore? a classic casio made for over 30 years......30 years ago it was made in japan. picked one up today. yeah, you guessed it made in china! i suppose that is why it was a bill in the early 80's and now it is $35. the sad truth is japan.italy,germany etc. are too expensive unless it is a pretty high end item today. so enter china. i really don't think made in china is anything to be ashamed of anymore anyhow. their production is becoming like japan in the 80's. that is to say "good".
people may still shun this fact, but face it the world is changing. just watch, seiko will be next if it is not already!

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #6,312 of 14,272
Looks nice. A bit busy for my tastes, but I still like it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #6,315 of 14,272
As someone who is lucky enough to have owned some of the well know brands of watches I always wonder why folks seem OK wearing fakes? Looking at the one above, very bad fakes at that!

Would you wear fake Sennheisers I wonder, or wear fake cologne? Before I could afford the more well known Swiss brands I would rather have and did indeed own Citizens, Timex's ETC than wear a fake watch.

Wearing a fake seemed weird to me. Why wear something not real?

Especially something so badly done it would be obvious to anyone it was not the real thing!

Just wondering as fakes on watch forums generally are shunned but here few people seem to worry about it being fake.

Here is an image BTW of the real Breitling for Bentley Tourbillion from a friends website so you can see how bad the fake is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back