Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #6,271 of 14,276
it is haunting me now. however i feel they have some nerve to make you do that dance after the price of admission. i suppose it is very,very special. like everything else i suppose i'll wait for the secondary market but this is likely to be more not less! i mean you can buy murcielago all day long and they do depreciate too. i guess it's just an entirely different market so it is not up for comparison.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #6,272 of 14,276

I'm a lefty so I wear my watch on my right hand xD

Here's my current watch that I wear everyday. Its a fake I got from a friend xD but it looks good.

Anyways I'm debating to get one these seiko's

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-5-watch-snk795.html

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-snk789.html

Its pretty much the same watch, I just can't decide between the white face or black face. Or do you guys think I can find a better bang for the buck?

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #6,273 of 14,276
I posted two videos of the Zenith on youtube..one is ok and the other sucks..

nice video of the face, watch it in 720!
http://youtu.be/R9sKseRfQjE

not so nice video of the movement..i was smoking a cig and couldnt get iphone focus
http://youtu.be/5HvjVPnJHlo
Quote:
Billy,
I don't see any watch at 4:20 of the video. 
confused_face(1).gif

I can't believe that he has the restraint not to wear his heavy hitters to the shows. I don't know if he came into the family through birth, but it's no wonder that he "love"s life.

4:2something? That says allot for every product they make if the President wears one of the "entry level" models to such a big show. Then again to him all he wants is something to tell time with his family name on it most likely.

Quote:
it is haunting me now. however i feel they have some nerve to make you do that dance after the price of admission. i suppose it is very,very special. like everything else i suppose i'll wait for the secondary market but this is likely to be more not less! i mean you can buy murcielago all day long and they do depreciate too. i guess it's just an entirely different market so it is not up for comparison.

I agree but if you look at a used watch at $15k for example, would you want to buy a watch USED at that price or just buy the new for another $5k...btw this is entry level stuff to these brands. the Average is $60k-$80K for a middle range watch in the line up. To me it is something to shoot for and think about..nothing wrong with some dreaming.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #6,275 of 14,276
In my aim to understand other peoples views of life, behaviours, characters, their impacts on others, etc., i have found this rather obvious, yet interesting topic.
Watches, small objects which quantify time. Worn on the wrist.

Until know I understood why people (at least a reason i understand) like automatic watches. The complexity of their mechanics is indeed very fascinating (to me).
I found that automatic watches can be very expensive.

What about expensive quartz watches (?), what makes them so special and why can also they be so expensive (apart from branding)?
(i know that quartz watches are much more precise than automatic, lighter, etc.).
But what is the difference between a drug-store quartz and a rather expensive quartz watch (Tissot, Tag-Heuer, etc.)?

Sorry if this question seems nooby, but i try to understand by asking.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #6,276 of 14,276
A good bit is the brand, but the rest is in the materials and complications. Drug store quartz is typically all plastic, not something you'd want to wear with a suit. Chronos, moon phase, etc all add to the cost also.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #6,277 of 14,276
I am wondering what I want for a graduation gift. Best bang-for-buck watch for around $3,000? I was thinking about the Speedy Pro or IWC Portofino so far. I wan't an automatic that isn't some cheap ETA movement. A watch that will hold it's value would be nice too. For some odd reason the Calatrava is a bit out of my price range. XD

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #6,278 of 14,276
In my aim to understand other peoples views of life, behaviours, characters, their impacts on others, etc., i have found this rather obvious, yet interesting topic.
Watches, small objects which quantify time. Worn on the wrist.

Until know I understood why people (at least a reason i understand) like automatic watches. The complexity of their mechanics is indeed very fascinating (to me).
I found that automatic watches can be very expensive.

What about expensive quartz watches (?), what makes them so special and why can also they be so expensive (apart from branding)?
(i know that quartz watches are much more precise than automatic, lighter, etc.).
But what is the difference between a drug-store quartz and a rather expensive quartz watch (Tissot, Tag-Heuer, etc.)?

Sorry if this question seems nooby, but i try to understand by asking.

There really are only two types of quartz movement. Thermocompensated quartz (usually comes with a perpetual calendar function) which are between +/- 4-10 seconds a year accurate and then the rest which are stock +/-15 seconds a month accurate, sure you have eco drives but the only difference there is the power source.

So, knowing that. If your going to spend a great deal on a watch and you want quartz the best value is to go for a quartz that is hyper accurate. TAG, Longines, Tissot and the like are OK but to be honest you simply are not getting the sort of upgrade in materials that warrant the premium price. If your looking at what they charge then in a Heartbeat I would steer you towards the Japanese only market Seiko's. Fraction of the cost of the lower end Swiss and knock them out of the ball park in terms of quality construction and you get the high accuracy quartz.

Now if your talking precious metals it is a little different. Sadly Omega are now out of the thermocompensated quartz game. I had the last of the Constellations with that movement and it was a wonderful watch. Same watch now has the vanilla quartz movement and I just would not go there as it is not worth the money for me.

Not sure but I am only aware of Breitlings using the high accuracy quartz movement now from Swiss manufactures.

If you head over to watchuseek they have a wonderful High accuracy quartz forum and are very knowledgeable. If you like the style you can still pick up one of the thermo movement Constellations on the internet, just make sure you see perpetual calendar on the dial and it will be that movement.

Forgot, there is a third quartz, the Kinetic. But none to my knowledge are high accuracy.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #6,279 of 14,276
I am wondering what I want for a graduation gift. Best bang-for-buck watch for around $3,000? I was thinking about the Speedy Pro or IWC Portofino so far. I wan't an automatic that isn't some cheap ETA movement. A watch that will hold it's value would be nice too. For some odd reason the Calatrava is a bit out of my price range. XD

Not all ETA movements are equal! I have one in my Cartier and it is accurate to -2 seconds a day. There are various grades of ETA movement so don't discount them and don't fall into the trap that the only good high end watches are ones with in house movements.

That is more about snobbery than an indication of quality! By the way, the speedy has one of those dastardly ETA movements as does the Portofino auto!

If you don't mind having a slightly used watch personally I would head over to the internet sellers like Bernard watch. My Cartier was half the price of new and it was as new!

Check this link out about the ETA movement in my watch.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #6,280 of 14,276

Quote:
Not all ETA movements are equal! I have one in my Cartier and it is accurate to -2 seconds a day. There are various grades of ETA movement so don't discount them and don't fall into the trap that the only good high end watches are ones with in house movements.

That is more about snobbery than an indication of quality! By the way, the speedy has one of those dastardly ETA movements as does the Portofino auto!

If you don't mind having a slightly used watch personally I would head over to the internet sellers like Bernard watch. My Cartier was half the price of new and it was as new!

Check this link out about the ETA movement in my watch.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html

I said "cheap ETA movement". I don't want to be ripped off as badly as Panerai owners. XD (No offense intended)

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6,281 of 14,276
I said "cheap ETA movement". I don't want to be ripped off as badly as Panerai owners. XD (No offense intended)

No worries. I was not sure if your knew their were differences which you do which is great. I agree about the Panerai comment. Do you know their pear wood boxes are made in China which adds insult to the injury, Nothing against stuff made in China it is just that Panerai charge large amounts for what to me are mediocre fashion watches. I have never been impressed with the build or fit an finish of them, fine at a couple of thousand but not more for me. I know a lot of folks like them though.

I like this one which is in your price range, the style will never date which is what you want for a celebration watch I think!
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/IWC/Portofino-Automatic/IW3563-08.html

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #6,282 of 14,276

Quote:
There really are only two types of quartz movement. Thermocompensated quartz (usually comes with a perpetual calendar function) which are between +/- 4-10 seconds a year accurate and then the rest which are stock +/-15 seconds a month accurate, sure you have eco drives but the only difference there is the power source.

So, knowing that. If your going to spend a great deal on a watch and you want quartz the best value is to go for a quartz that is hyper accurate. TAG, Longines, Tissot and the like are OK but to be honest you simply are not getting the sort of upgrade in materials that warrant the premium price. If your looking at what they charge then in a Heartbeat I would steer you towards the Japanese only market Seiko's. Fraction of the cost of the lower end Swiss and knock them out of the ball park in terms of quality construction and you get the high accuracy quartz.

Now if your talking precious metals it is a little different. Sadly Omega are now out of the thermocompensated quartz game. I had the last of the Constellations with that movement and it was a wonderful watch. Same watch now has the vanilla quartz movement and I just would not go there as it is not worth the money for me.

Not sure but I am only aware of Breitlings using the high accuracy quartz movement now from Swiss manufactures.

If you head over to watchuseek they have a wonderful High accuracy quartz forum and are very knowledgeable. If you like the style you can still pick up one of the thermo movement Constellations on the internet, just make sure you see perpetual calendar on the dial and it will be that movement.

Forgot, there is a third quartz, the Kinetic. But none to my knowledge are high accuracy.

Thanks ianmedium.

From what i understood, the accuracy of the quartz models vary with the materials and components used (and therefore the price).
Is there anything apart from the materials and (relative) accuracy making them worthwhile?
Are Thermocompensated quartz more complicated and expensive to build and what about their batterylife. My cheapo Casio's battery is still the same from when i got it 4 years ago. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #6,283 of 14,276
Thanks ianmedium.

From what i understood, the accuracy of the quartz models vary with the materials and components used (and therefore the price).
Is there anything apart from the materials and (relative) accuracy making them worthwhile?
Are Thermocompensated quartz more complicated and expensive to build and what about their batterylife. My cheapo Casio's battery is still the same from when i got it 4 years ago. 

Pretty much every quartz that is not thermocompensated is just a normal quartz watch with average timekeeping, even ones in Pateks (though beautifully decorated) The thermo's are more complex and I would assume more expensive to build.

They really are cutting edge horology which is why they are exciting to own. My constellation (which I sold to make way for a Vintage Cartier) was accurate to +4 seconds a year and there is a really great feel good feeling about having a watch that accurate that does not get a help out from radio waves like Atomic watches. The battery life on the connie is 5 years which is pretty good as well.

To give an example of certain TAG quartz watches. They contain largely plastic movements, can't remember which models they are but I know they are multiple thousands and quite frankly that is really taking the p!$$ out of their customers I think. Heck, even the humble timex has a metal movement!

As a rule of thumb the materials used in a quartz are less critical as there are few moving parts. As long as the circuit is good it can be plastic metal and not matter. Personally though I would not want a plastic movement in a watch costing more than $50 just in value terms. The main thing with quartz is temperature stability and that is where the thermocompensated movements come in. A $30 Timex will pretty much keep the same time as a standard quartz in anything from Omega/TAG/Tissot ETC to a $20,000 Patek as the timekeeping principals are the same.

That is why I think it almost sinful that those companies use bog standard quartz when they could easily afford to put Thermocompensated movements in and thus boast amazing accuracy as well as beauty!

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #6,285 of 14,276

Quote:

If you want a watch that holds it value then look at a used Rolex Explorer II, maybe a gmt master or a no date sub..Also a used Cartier may hold its value but I am not educated on used Cartier pricing. I never cared for IWC myself so i never gave them a serious look. The Speedmaster pro manual wind is a true classic, Many collectors actually respect them highly for their history. Another watch to look at is a NOMOS, German in house made watch..with in house movement!  Look at Zenith handwind El Primeros or maybe you will find a Automatic in that range. just giving you some ideas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back