Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #6,256 of 14,276
Can recommendations for a watch in the range of $200-$100?

I would like it to be a metal band but leather would work also. I'm looking for something not too flashy, something more subtle and stylish. Any help would be great !

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6,257 of 14,276
Can recommendations for a watch in the range of $200-$100?

I would like it to be a metal band but leather would work also. I'm looking for something not too flashy, something more subtle and stylish. Any help would be great !

That sort of price I would be going for Seiko, Citizen or Timex. Avoid at all costs fashion brands as they offer poor value and quite frankly poor quality for the price.

For Citizen this lovely ECO drive sounds like it would fit the bill,
http://www.jomashop.com/citizen-eco-mens-watch-bm8430-59e.html

I have owned a few Citizens, their customer service is excellent as is the build quality and timekeeping. ECO drive means no need to worry about replacing the battery, normal light exposure is enough to keep it fully charged.

This quartz Seiko is a great buy at the price, good solid reliable watches that will last you many years, good quality as well.
http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sgga43.html

And here is this great looking timex.
http://www.watches2u.com/watches/timex/t2n291-mens-sl-series-black-steel-watch.html

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #6,258 of 14,276
Orient is also a great choice in this price range.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #6,259 of 14,276
Orient is also a great choice in this price range.

Oh yeah, forgot them! So four would be my choice, also if you can get a Bulova on sale that would be a great option, they make dressier looking non sporty watches amongst the usual sporty fashion stuff.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #6,260 of 14,276
thanks for the info guys 

I'll take a look at Bulova and Orient. Yeah leaning towards the more dressy casual look.

That seiko looks promising though 
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #6,261 of 14,276
well, the fashion brand i was speaking of their quartz is indeed nowhere near the quality of a timex or especially bulova(whom make accutron). "some" of their automatics are surprising at outlet prices. comparable to orient in some cases imo. interestingly the timex automatic is pretty decent even if one paid $100. the chinese are no swiss yet but they are gaining.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #6,262 of 14,276
Had a business meeting today so I went into the watch box and came out with something I haven't worn in a long time:

Not necessarily the most appropriate for business but I had forgotten how much I like this watch.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #6,264 of 14,276

Quote:
Your quite right on this and also I can add a little more info in what is involved as I actually have a friend who is working towards being approved for this model.

You also have to have purchased at least four of Patek's grand complications as well and not all in one go. He went to get another a few weeks ago and Patek said he had been purchasing watches too close together so has to wait a few months.

I think the intention is for the watch to go to true Patek enthusiasts and thus hopefully it then does not go onto the grey market so easily.

I was fortunate to see this watch in person a short while ago. I have to be honest. If I had that sort of money To spare on a watch purchase I would have it in a heartbeat! When one thinks here in Vancouver for instance the price of this watch will only get you a shoddily built condo that will never appreciate in value like this watch will I would rather have the watch.

Think of this watch as fine art, an old master and you then get close to why this watch costs what it does. It truly is exquisite.

I always thought that $1.5 was kind of cheap for what the watch is and who would want it..

Some by a large number look at Patek as being the top brand in the entire world, I have asked many well to do watch collectors their best brand in their opinion and Patek was always the answer. Now when you are looked as the top and the best then you know people who do buy these watches will want to upgrade to a better and higher Patek..after all how do you top the Patek on your wrist with a better watch? buy a higher end Patek of course. And looking at the number of wealthy people out there with the money they have $1.5 to me is a small number for having the top watch from the top brand..

pretty interesting what the company makes one do before that person can even be considered to own the watch...thanks for the info! I went crazy when i seen Calatrava let alone seeing this watch in life...OMG!

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #6,265 of 14,276
I always thought that $1.5 was kind of cheap for what the watch is and who would want it..

Some by a large number look at Patek as being the top brand in the entire world, I have asked many well to do watch collectors their best brand in their opinion and Patek was always the answer. Now when you are looked as the top and the best then you know people who do buy these watches will want to upgrade to a better and higher Patek..after all how do you top the Patek on your wrist with a better watch? buy a higher end Patek of course. And looking at the number of wealthy people out there with the money they have $1.5 to me is a small number for having the top watch from the top brand..

pretty interesting what the company makes one do before that person can even be considered to own the watch...thanks for the info! I went crazy when i seen Calatrava let alone seeing this watch in life...OMG!

That's why I was comparing it to fine art, which of course it is. The thing with Patek is like Cartier they have an outstanding link to the past with their watches. You buy heirlooms with both companies. There record keeping and attention to detail is amazing and their customer care (as I have found personally ) is second to none.

The calatrava has to be one of the classic watches ever. I would own one in a heartbeat if I could afford the $20,000 asking price, hobnail with the sub seconds for me, in yellow Gold with romans.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #6,267 of 14,276
Notice the date... April 1.
Not even a 'good' Photoshop job.
Clever read though... funny.

Cheers.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #6,270 of 14,276
Billy,
I don't see any watch at 4:20 of the video. 
confused_face(1).gif

I can't believe that he has the restraint not to wear his heavy hitters to the shows. I don't know if he came into the family through birth, but it's no wonder that he "love"s life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back