Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #4,548 of 14,276
Thanks guys! I can't wait to see the look on Dad's face when he opens it. Actually, I'm just as excited to see the look on Mom's face when I show it to her the day before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I normally *hate* gold on a watch, but that's very classy. I like.

Same here. I have a Seiko Kinetic in my collection that makes minimal use of gold as a light strip around the bezel and small strips on the center links, as well as a watch my grandparents gave me last time I was in India that is fully plated. Beyond that, I don't own any gold watches as gold has never had a large appeal to me. That in part played my mother's and my decision to go with that model: neither of us liked the looks of the all gold Rolexs much as it just seemed a bit...much. (No offense to anyone who has a solid gold Watch and enjoys it!)

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #4,549 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My daily wear watch for over 12 years now. Just back from Germany from a complete overhaul (its first). This is an exact replica of a Fliegerchronograph 1939 Luftwaffe pilots watch. #944/2500 in a limited edition. Hanhart, now known more for their stopwatches, made the original pilot's watch for the Luftwaffe, and used the same matchining, dies and patterns to make the replica. I used to have an original (vintage) officer's watch, but I'm hard on my watches and it was too delicate to subject to my daily wear so I sold it. The movement on the replica is a manual-wind Valjoux 7760. I prefer military watches for their simple, austere designs and fast-read.

http://www.marcoprozzo.com/hanhart.jpg

I could never wear any watches and the reasoning was that they where to bulky. However, I love this watches minimalistic design and you claimed that most military watches have this kind of minimalism? If yes any models to suggest? Also at what price point are we talking about?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #4,550 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could never wear any watches and the reasoning was that they where to bulky. However, I love this watches minimalistic design and you claimed that most military watches have this kind of minimalism? If yes any models to suggest? Also at what price point are we talking about?
smily_headphones1.gif

Google "Flieger watch" and dig through all the results. There are a ton of companies who make that style watch and others closely resembling it. You can find your size and your price point if you look.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #4,551 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...It's my Dad's 50th birthday coming up this week and my mother and I wanted to get something special for him so we decided to get him a good, high end watch...

It's my 51st in July. I promise you an even better face than your mom and dad if you do me the solid.
evil_smiley.gif

I have owned a beautiful Submariner for 9 years now, so if you surprise me, it should probably be an Omega.
As a diver, I wanted the 2-tone bracelet with Sapphire dial, but no visible jewels, and no date/cyclops, but it cost twice as much. That would have made it more dressy, and I like to wear mine during diving, mountain. biking, and Ultimate Fighting Championships.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #4,552 of 14,276
Yeah... normally I hate gold on a watch too...but that is really nice.
Gotta love those Submariners!

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #4,553 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... normally I hate gold on a watch too...but that is really nice.
Gotta love those Submariners!

Same here but someone posted a picture of their Daytona with Gold accents. I want one
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4,554 of 14,276
Hello,
Anyone have an opinion on the watches from MTM Special Ops?
Overpriced, great deal, can find better somewhere else, buy it now (best deal around) which band do you prefer (metal, cloth or rubber), etc.

BLACK WARRIOR
$545.00

http://www.specialopswatch.com/

warriorblkmetalb.jpg

warriorblackb.jpg

blackwawkrubberb.jpg

SOLID 316L STAINLESS STEEL WATCH CASE AND BAND WITH DURABLE BLACK TIC PLATING.

SWISS MOVEMENT

UNIDIRECTIONAL,
STAINLESS STEEL, RATCHETING BEZEL.

660FEET/200 METERS WATER RESISTANT.

SCRATCH RESISTANT ANTI-REFLECTIVE SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL.

CARBON FIBRE DIAL.

LOCKING, SCREW DOWN CROWN AND CASE BACK.

INDEX AND HANDS COME WITH TRITIUM GAS TUBES WHICH WILL GLOW BRIGHTLY FOR 25 YEARS WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ANY EXTERNAL LIGHT SOURCE.

3 YEAR WARRANTY.

LIMITED EDITION,
EACH WATCH INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4,555 of 14,276
The watch and I are back home!

Picture003.jpg

I think the next pictures are proof positive, that bad camera skills can ruin the impression that a good watch makes:

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

It really is a lot more stunning in person than my pictures are able to make it out to be or even the previous stock photo makes it look!

We've decided that instead of presenting it to him tomorrow morning (his birthday) when everyone is in a rush to get out and start the day, or at the surprise party planned for him in the evening, we're gonna surprise him with it tonight as he gets home a bit late from a meeting!

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4,558 of 14,276
I think I have fallen in love:
omegaspeedmastermeteorite2.jpg

omgsoy1.JPG

The new OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Apollo-Soyuz “35th anniversary”.
Black meteorite dial with silvery finish subdials in rhodium-plated circling.
Limited edition of 1,975 pieces.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #4,560 of 14,276
I'm not a big fan of that texture and how it affects the visibility of the dials. One of my favourite things about the Speedmaster is how well-designed the face is for readability compared to almost any other chrono.

I also think special edition watches in general are pretty silly. They almost never look better than the original, and there are so many different "limited editions" that none of them are particularly special. It's just a cash cow for watch companies to get fondlers to spend more money. Other luxury goods like Leica rangefinders get a similar treatment, and it's usually pretty tacky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back