Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #4,306 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post, thanks Mercuttio for that link. I sensed right away the fan boy level of love when that one Matt dude started bringing up how I posted a "WTB - Stowa Antea" thread a few days prior into the Omega AT discussion. Absolutely no bearing on anything regarding the Aqua Terra. I was just asking a simple question.

He's kind of a nutjob. A really useful source of information at times, but he has absolutely no ability to read intention or direction in any post that he's ever gone after. I have seen him do that before... the whole "let's dredge up lots of posts from a while ago that might put you on shaky footing" thing. It's annoying.

In his defense (what little of it can be had) he DOES have a pretty amazing understanding of watchmaking and watches in general. It's a real shame stuff just hits him strangely.

But yeah, the 2500 is totally stable and built upon one of the best 3 hand movements currently in production: the 2892.

An indepth look at the ETA 2892

Awesome movement. It's a common misconception that it is a "higher quality" version of the 2824... it is actually the final evolution of a much nicer Eterna movement. More on that here:

A Comparison Of ETA Movements [12/97] - TimeZone

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4,307 of 14,284
Wearing my JPE Prohunter Deepsea right now, just got it yesterday. MAN this watch is a beast. Im wearing it on a PVD kevlar strap because the head alone on this thing weighs more then any other watches I own. Usually I wear leather bands or titanium bracelets this one is just massive and I dont anticipate weight lifting with the stock PVD bracelet. Im trying to upload pics from work but my stupid phone isnt recognizing the USB. Typical throwaway cables/phone jacks.

Looks like this...

Pro-Hunter-Rolex-Sea-Dweller.jpg

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #4,308 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FANTASTIC!!!!!! I love how the black PVD minimizes the writing on the chapter ring. That's one of the nicest looking Rolexs I've seen.

To be honest, though, I would be too afraid to take a watch like that and modify it!

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #4,309 of 14,284
Quote:

Wearing my JPE Prohunter Deepsea right now, just got it yesterday. MAN this watch is a beast. Im wearing it on a PVD kevlar strap because the head alone on this thing weighs more then any other watches I own. Usually I wear leather bands or titanium bracelets this one is just massive and I dont anticipate weight lifting with the stock PVD bracelet. Im trying to upload pics from work but my stupid phone isnt recognizing the USB. Typical throwaway cables/phone jacks.

Looks like this...

That's one of the nicest looking Rolexes I've ever laid eyes on!

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4,310 of 14,284
F. That Rolex is a serious watch buff "trump card." Incredible. It's certainly a dream of mine to see one in person, let alone own one.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #4,311 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But yeah, the 2500 is totally stable and built upon one of the best 3 hand movements currently in production: the 2892.

An indepth look at the ETA 2892

Awesome movement. It's a common misconception that it is a "higher quality" version of the 2824... it is actually the final evolution of a much nicer Eterna movement. More on that here:

A Comparison Of ETA Movements [12/97] - TimeZone

More helpful links, thanks again. I love reading this stuff, and although I know very little about it, I do enjoy learning.

I think I am over the Omega crave. I get looked at like an idiot when I walk into the jewelry store to look at one in person, like I have no idea what I am talking about. I probably make twice what the average sales associate at one of these big name stores makes in a year. Give me a break.
rolleyes.gif

I did however, purchase my second Lum-tec. This time a used M17 for a real good deal from one of the guys on watchuseek. Should be here in a couple days.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4,312 of 14,284
OMG. What is it about that Rolex that makes it so awesome?!!

I'm not a fan of any Rolex that isn't a Submariner, because they all look gaudy, but this one, despite featuring all the typical Rolex inscriptions and text, looks just right! I'm off to watchuseek to see what this one is all about.

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4,313 of 14,284
I totally agree with the last 5 posts.
I would, however, prefer a nice Vulcanized rubber strap. Weightless and strong for years.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4,314 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG. What is it about that Rolex that makes it so awesome?!!

I'm not a fan of any Rolex that isn't a Submariner, because they all look gaudy, but this one, despite featuring all the typical Rolex inscriptions and text, looks just right! I'm off to watchuseek to see what this one is all about.

Strictly speaking, Rolex hates that watch. They consider it an ugly modification, and apparently if you send it in for service to them they'll "fix" it and charge you for whatever they have to do to return it to "normal."

Pro-Hunter

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #4,315 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More helpful links, thanks again. I love reading this stuff, and although I know very little about it, I do enjoy learning.

I think I am over the Omega crave. I get looked at like an idiot when I walk into the jewelry store to look at one in person, like I have no idea what I am talking about. I probably make twice what the average sales associate at one of these big name stores makes in a year. Give me a break.
rolleyes.gif

I did however, purchase my second Lum-tec. This time a used M17 for a real good deal from one of the guys on watchuseek. Should be here in a couple days.
beerchug.gif

Bah, that's why you've got to buy from the FAD. Nicest guy on the planet and never treats anyone like they're dim... he knows it could cost him a sale and treats any potential buyer with respect.

Plus, his discounts are QUITE nice...

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #4,316 of 14,284
Pro Hunter looks nice.

I think I prefer Project X DLC watches. I wish I could afford one. But I would not want one as a replacement for an original. I love the way Project X brushes the cases and removes the crown guards. Definitely not reversible, however.

Concept%20LE%201Bcms181261149252.jpg

PXD%20DS1%203%20321%20copyp81241698832_large.jpg

Concept%20LE%202Bcms201261149252.jpg

bespoke%20concept%20page%201cms21249663316.jpg.jpg

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #4,318 of 14,284
Quote:

Looks like this...

holy cow! now thats a MANS!! watch. bet its costs more than my titanium citizen skyhawk though...

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #4,319 of 14,284
two mishaps that have happened to me.

i brought a modified sub into a small shop to have the braclet sized. it had a clear back. the lady takes it in back to the watchmaker. she returns in 5 minutes telling me it is a counterfeit and they are supposed to confiscate it! i went birzerk, got back my watch and left. i was lucky i got out of there with my watch and no trouble.

then, the day i got a ym i tried to resize it myself. bad idea. i slipped with the tiny screwdriver and oh well. battle scar.

music_man

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #4,320 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Rolexes look like they are inspired by Seikos.

Yeah, those Project X ones do nothing for me. Unlike the Hunters, the "X" on the dial looks totally out of place and isn't really a complimentary color. I also really dislike the removal of the crown guards. It just overall feels like someone else is trying to brand a classic (slightly modified) Rolex design as their own... whereas the Pro-Hunter kind of has a reason for its modifications.

It's kind of like me slapping big "M" (for Mercuttio) stickers on an HD650 and taking one of the earpads off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back