Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #4,321 of 14,304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strictly speaking, Rolex hates that watch. They consider it an ugly modification, and apparently if you send it in for service to them they'll "fix" it and charge you for whatever they have to do to return it to "normal."

Rolex may not be the only ones who hates these watches. Although they look nice now, I wonder how much resale value these modded watches will have?

USG

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #4,322 of 14,304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those Project X ones do nothing for me. Unlike the Hunters, the "X" on the dial looks totally out of place and isn't really a complimentary color. I also really dislike the removal of the crown guards. It just overall feels like someone else is trying to brand a classic (slightly modified) Rolex design as their own... whereas the Pro-Hunter kind of has a reason for its modifications.

It's kind of like me slapping big "M" (for Mercuttio) stickers on an HD650 and taking one of the earpads off.

Well, I think the removal of the crown guards hearkens back to the days when Rolex did not put crown guards on their watches. I don't like the X either. But I like the brushing of the case.

I bet the resale value goes up in smoke... I wonder if just DLCing a watch will also destroy resale value.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #4,325 of 14,304
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do they even manage to remove the crown guards?

In a machine shop with an endmill or, possibly, a surface grinder. After the lugs are removed, the watch is refinished to remove the toolmarks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #4,326 of 14,304
that makes what they are selling more expensive than the stock one? umm, i'll pass!
to each their own but that makes no sense to me. i guess a bentley without mirrors would be worth more than lol.

music_man

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #4,327 of 14,304
2vcyzj7.jpg

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #4,331 of 14,304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
becuase i dont think a caddette gold constaletion with diamonds goes well with a suite :p

Suit.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #4,333 of 14,304
why? my president day/date 18kt. has diamonds at the hours. i think it is nice. it is by far not my favorite or best watch but it was one of my first. it is a show off watch. everyone knows what it is. i must have not worn it in over 15 years though. i guess that explains that. to "bezel" out a watch is not my style though.

i have a movado(vizio?) that has one large diamond at 12. that is sort of tasteful i think.

music_man

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #4,334 of 14,304
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a movado(vizio?) that has one large diamond at 12. that is sort of tasteful i think.

music_man

To each his own I guess...we bought my father a Movado with a single large diamond at the 12. Likewise, earlier, he bought both my sister and my mother smaller Movados with a similar diamond at the 12. I've personally felt that all three watches would look significantly better without the diamond and with a completely blank black face.

Parents bought me a watch back during a trip a few years back where the entire case and band are made of tungsten carbide. the face is blank except for diamond studs at the 12, 3, 6 and 9. Personally, I would love to be rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back