Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #4,066 of 14,275
Yes, she's a tough gal. At least I don't have to pay Alimony.

By the way, I found the diver's band that came with it. I never liked it, but if you want it, I'll bring it with me to CanJam '10

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4,067 of 14,275
omg yeah!!!! i would love a rubber strap with the 112! awesome!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4,068 of 14,275
This be the one...I didn't like it, because, although it allows you to wear the watch while diving, I didn't feel it had enough strength to hold up the weight of the 44mm:

main.php

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #4,069 of 14,275
So I've been doing some looking around was wondering what people think of luminox watches. It seems like they'd be great for active use, but does the lume get annoying since it will always glow? I mean, it's the selling point for these tritium vial watches, but I want to see what it's like after the novelty wears off.

Also, what do you think about the Citizen Air Divers? Been looking into Japanese market watches after looking at the yobokies seikos.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4,070 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been doing some looking around was wondering what people think of luminox watches. It seems like they'd be great for active use, but does the lume get annoying since it will always glow? I mean, it's the selling point for these tritium vial watches, but I want to see what it's like after the novelty wears off.

I'm not sure how tritium markers are a novelty. Tritium was used as the active agent in luminous markings on watches from the 50s into the 90s until it was replaced by luminova and other types of materials that needed to be 'charged.' Watch dials are not novel application for tritium.

I have a Stocker and Yale 490 with tritium vials and have seen many others. You don't see the glow during the day; they glow bright enough to be seen at night. Unlike a more modern lume, they just don't get dimmer the longer they are removed from light but they do get dimmer as the watch ages. After 10 years or so, they will be pretty dim. Tritium vials are not as bright as a backlight on a modern digital watch but are brighter than modern lumes like luminova.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4,072 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how tritium markers are a novelty. Tritium was used as the active agent in luminous markings on watches from the 50s into the 90s until it was replaced by luminova and other types of materials that needed to be 'charged.' Watch dials are not novel application for tritium.

I don't think he meant that tritium was a novelty. I believe he just meant that having a watch glow 24-7 might get old after a bit.

I have and have had several tritium-tube -dialed watches. It's not very bright, so don't worry about distraction from seeing it on the dresser at night or anything.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #4,073 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah! Thanks for the advice. I also recently discovered MilitaryTime - Navy, Airforce and Army Watches Photo Album, which has a bunch of nice Parnis watches which resemble B&R. It's nice knowing that someone here has dealt with Yobokies. Did you have to scrap the watch after the movement stopped?

I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, it's sort of just sitting here. I'll sell it to ya for a Grant though, it's in flawless condition bar the not running part.
duggehsmile.png

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4,075 of 14,275
Quote:

Also, what do you think about the Citizen Air Divers? Been looking into Japanese market watches after looking at the yobokies seikos.

The gas lights in Luminox watches doesn't glow super brightly... a good (Omega, Seiko, Rolex) lumed watch easily glows better at night and will glow ALL night long and charge during the day.

More importantly, Luminox watches are not as high quality OR as respected as they'd have you believe. Their key claim to fame would suggest that they're used by the army or something. Nope, G-Shocks are more standard. I've also heard many instances of Luminox watches breaking within a few years.

Try another brand, like Marathon if you're interested in an actual watch used in the armed services. Marathon watches have gas light tubes as well... and so does Ball if you're looking for something durable and higher end (around $1000+).

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #4,076 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gas lights in Luminox watches doesn't glow super brightly... a good (Omega, Seiko, Rolex) lumed watch easily glows better at night and will glow ALL night long and charge during the day.

More importantly, Luminox watches are not as high quality OR as respected as they'd have you believe. Their key claim to fame would suggest that they're used by the army or something. Nope, G-Shocks are more standard. I've also heard many instances of Luminox watches breaking within a few years.

Try another brand, like Marathon if you're interested in an actual watch used in the armed services. Marathon watches have gas light tubes as well... and so does Ball if you're looking for something durable and higher end (around $1000+).

So having tritium tubes is really no big deal unless you're really stuck in the dark (like say in Alaska)

how is the lume on citizen watches?

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #4,077 of 14,275
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #4,078 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've attempted to own a couple of the Luminox watches and I ended up returning both of them for poor quality and/or not functioning.

On the other hand, I've owned a couple Ball watches for many years now, and find them both to be exceptional. All of the Ball watches have tritium vials for lighting with case and movements of top notch quality. The brightness levels are perfect. Non obtrusive, but perfectly legible in any condition.

I have a few other high quality watches, some of which glow brighter just after having been exposed to UV, but NOTHING remains consistently visible as well as my Ball watches, that is including my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono, which is probably the most night visible watch outside of the Ball watches.

So if you're going to pass judgement on tritium vial watches, judge by a good standard when you do.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4,079 of 14,275
Quote:

So having tritium tubes is really no big deal unless you're really stuck in the dark (like say in Alaska)

how is the lume on citizen watches?

The lume on good Citizens is great in my experience. Check out Ball Watch Co. if it fits in your budget.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4,080 of 14,275
I like ball watches, but they are definitely not within my budget. Lookin for a poor man's watch. I'm wearing a fake (not homage) IWC from china right now because that's all I got. Keeps good time and looks somewhat nice, but it's the typical chinese 17 jeweled automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back