Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4,081 of 14,276
For affordable decent looking watches I like Invicta (not sure if I've mentioned this before in this thread). They look good, keep good time and are built quite well.

The automatic diver watches are quite popular (I have the non-automatic version and I like it). Skagen is another brand that makes some affordable but well made watches, but they are a tad delicate for daily wear.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #4,082 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for clearing that up. I was unsure if the lume would be visible at all times which is why I thought it might get annoying after a while.

If lume is what you're after, search no further than www.lum-tec.com .

Made right here in Ohio, fantastic time pieces! The watch makers really stand by their watches.

I have the Combat B3 and C1!

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #4,083 of 14,276
My Lum-tec order was placed in March, was supposed to be ready for delivery in July, and now it is December, and Chris only replied to my e-mail, rather than him writing to me about any delay!

Not a good way to due business.
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #4,084 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Lum-tec order was placed in March, was supposed to be ready for delivery in July, and now it is December, and Chris only replied to my e-mail, rather than him writing to me about any delay!

Not a good way to due business.
frown.gif

might want to call them, i believe i got an email monthes back about the Mag watch (the model we both had on pre order) was available for shipping.

also the crap i delt with before was solved by Lumtec sending me out a set of slightly bent snap pins to fit the bracelet on, which works perfect!

on another note...

not sure about this company, i never heard of them before but i thought it was a good read in terms of this dudes way of history involving him, Rolex, Patek, and a few others about the Chronograph..

The Chronograph Business in Switzerland

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #4,085 of 14,276
I did have correspondence with him in July started by me. He told me he was trying to get something perfected.
However, it has been another 6 months without a peep. I guess they don't want my money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might want to call them, i believe i got an email monthes back about the Mag watch (the model we both had on pre order) was available for shipping.

Did you actually receive the watch?

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #4,086 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've attempted to own a couple of the Luminox watches and I ended up returning both of them for poor quality and/or not functioning.

On the other hand, I've owned a couple Ball watches for many years now, and find them both to be exceptional. All of the Ball watches have tritium vials for lighting with case and movements of top notch quality. The brightness levels are perfect. Non obtrusive, but perfectly legible in any condition.

I have a few other high quality watches, some of which glow brighter just after having been exposed to UV, but NOTHING remains consistently visible as well as my Ball watches, that is including my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono, which is probably the most night visible watch outside of the Ball watches.

So if you're going to pass judgement on tritium vial watches, judge by a good standard when you do.

I would still be interested in their performance over long periods of time. If I recall correctly, Ball gives a figure of around 20 years for their gas tubes. But the half-life of tritium is around 12 years. My Speedmaster Pro is 12 years old, one of the last to have a tritium dial and hands, and the lume is unusable except in pitch black with adjusted eyes.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #4,087 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did have correspondence with him in July started by me. He told me he was trying to get something perfected.
However, it has been another 6 months without a peep. I guess they don't want my money.

Did you actually receive the watch?

Looks like they actually released the pre-order plan without even finalising the prototype beforehand. A bit too rushed move IMO. They should at least confirm the model and what sort of materials they need to use so they can start the watch straight away after taking the pre-order.
Moral of the story: I think we should pre-order if they at least already came up with an actual prototype watch, not pre-ordering it based from the schematic/design drawing.

As nice as people at Lumtec is, I am quite glad that I pulled out from the pre-order list. The final version of C3 doesn't look appealing to me at all. It looked nice from the drawing though. Another reason why I think from now on I will only pre-order if I can see the actual watch. But the Tungsten look nicer in real life though (although it's a bit too Panerai-ish to my taste)

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4,091 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The final version of C3 doesn't look appealing to me at all. It looked nice from the drawing though. Another reason why I think from now on I will only pre-order if I can see the actual watch. But the Tungsten look nicer in real life though (although it's a bit too Panerai-ish to my taste)

Maybe you would be interested in the C1 I am selling?

See here. It's also listed on ebay. [/plug]

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #4,092 of 14,276
Everyone of your pics, makes it look like a different watch. I would be interested if it came with a different band.

No, wait. I'm upset with Lum-Tec right now.

...and I was on the pre-order list. Why did some receive and some didn't, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #4,095 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like ball watches, but they are definitely not within my budget. Lookin for a poor man's watch. I'm wearing a fake (not homage) IWC from china right now because that's all I got. Keeps good time and looks somewhat nice, but it's the typical chinese 17 jeweled automatic.

Ball's awesome, but yeah, that might be out of your price range.

If you can spend about $500 and want something that will last you for ages, look for a Japanese Domestic Market Seiko (JDM, as they're called). Seiko saves the best stuff for their own Domestic Market, but you can get absolutely INCREDIBLE deals for their prices. Their $500 watch looks, feels, and performs like anyone else's $1,200 watch. Even at $325, you can get an amazing 6R15 simple dress watch. The 6R15 is a remarkable movement for the price.

Check out SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan for these sorts of models. He's an incredible guy who ships directly from Japan and is well known by watch lovers for his perfect service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back