Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #11,446 of 14,276
Sorry Moedawg, I decided to go ahead and buy my beater watch before I had time to think about going for a more expensive option! Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the decision. It was inexpensive (mine was $40 with an eBay coupon, most are around $70), it's tough as nails, has so much cool history behind it, and it's automatic! I expect to keep this for many years as my "fun watch," and after the summer, it should carry plenty of awesome memories. I'm quite excited about it :)

The winner is, a Vostok Amphibian! It is very popular over on one of the watch Facebook groups I'm in. Many dial options are available, but I went with the "sailboat." I just took this picture from the internet, but I'll probably pair it with a NATO just like this.

I also think I might soon begin my first long-term saving endeavor for a luxury piece: either a Speedmaster pro or reduced. I've just fallen in love with it recently, and it's in that sweetspot for me in terms of price and the amount of effort/time required to save up for it. I'll have to try on the pro and the reduced, hopefully the pro looks silly on my wrist, because I'd love to save some money on the reduced! 

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #11,447 of 14,276
  Sorry Moedawg, I decided to go ahead and buy my beater watch before I had time to think about going for a more expensive option! Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the decision. It was inexpensive (mine was $40 with an eBay coupon, most are around $70), it's tough as nails, has so much cool history behind it, and it's automatic! I expect to keep this for many years as my "fun watch," and after the summer, it should carry plenty of awesome memories. I'm quite excited about it :)

The winner is, a Vostok Amphibian! It is very popular over on one of the watch Facebook groups I'm in. Many dial options are available, but I went with the "sailboat." I just took this picture from the internet, but I'll probably pair it with a NATO just like this.

I also think I might soon begin my first long-term saving endeavor for a luxury piece: either a Speedmaster pro or reduced. I've just fallen in love with it recently, and it's in that sweetspot for me in terms of price and the amount of effort/time required to save up for it. I'll have to try on the pro and the reduced, hopefully the pro looks silly on my wrist, because I'd love to save some money on the reduced! 

Please do not be sorry!  Purchase what floats your boat (get it?).

Nice looking watch! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #11,449 of 14,276
Apr 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #11,450 of 14,276
Here's what's on my wrist this morning and pretty much every work day. This was a present from my wife for our wedding and I said it was going to be a special occasion only thing, but I just love wearing it so much. My poor blue Mako has been been getting no wrist time, although that may change since I have a Bond Nato strap inbound.

I also just got a black Rangeman a few weeks ago, I will have to post some pictures of it in it's natural habitat once I get up into the moutains.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #11,451 of 14,276
Ooh.  Russian and Swiss?  Those are my two most recent acquisitions as well!

eBay Vostok:

I don't have any other square watches and this was purchased on a bit of a whim.  Horrible watch to use, not automatic and has the funky Vostok crown that makes winding a little difficult and there's no quickset date.  But there's something about the aesthetic of it that makes it worthwhile.

And just got this on Friday.

ETA Black Bay Black on leather:

I like the old/current dial layout better that the inbound in-house version and I wanted to snap one up before old stock dried-up.  I have a number of other divers as well on rubber, nylon, bracelet, etc. so I though I'd go for leather on this one as well.  Plus, signed deployant!

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #11,452 of 14,276

Please do not be sorry!  Purchase what floats your boat (get it?).

Nice looking watch! 
beerchug.gif

Aha, I see what you did there!

I think I'll check out one of my local jewelers soon that is an AD for most of the big luxury brands. I'm strongly considering starting a long term effort to get a Speedy soon, but I definitely need to feel it on my wrist before I get motivated to make it happen. I'd also like to get my hands on a reduced in person to see if I prefer that size. 

Also, have you guys seen the service Eleven James? Probably not the best plan long term, but it might be nice to try a few different luxury pieces to decide which you want to save up for! Cool gift too. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #11,453 of 14,276

Great looking watch with inhouse movement, I like it!

This for me today (some of my hobbies):

Nice, Casio really did rip off that dial color/style
blink.gif

The CW, DIEVAS and Tudor are very nice as well
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #11,455 of 14,276
What is going on here?  Because it has an orange bezel and black dial it's a 'rip off'?  Then I guess Omega ripped off Elgin and others by that logic.  

Orange on the bezel isn't an 'Omega thing': they were not the first to do it.  Orange is used on many dive watches for visibility at depths where light is greatly reduced. Doxa made this most famous in the 1980's- which also pre-dates the Planet Ocean.  

Just because two watches have similarities does not mean one is ripping off the other.  Is a Patek 5170 a rip off of Longines Cal. 13.33Z because they are both bi-compax manual chronos?  I don't think so.  Are all wrist watches a rip off of a Reine de Naples?  Nope.

Wonderful watches, and enjoy them.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #11,456 of 14,276
Apr 21, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #11,457 of 14,276
Its my birthday, this is what i got from my SO, an Buddha to Buddha aquatic explorer chrono with a rotating compass bezel. I've been eying this model for awhile, so was absolutely thrilled when I got it. :D

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #11,458 of 14,276
Its my birthday, this is what i got from my SO, an Buddha to Buddha aquatic explorer chrono with a rotating compass bezel. I've been eying this model for awhile, so was absolutely thrilled when I got it.
biggrin.gif

Happy birthday, and rock-solid looking timepiece.  Congratulations! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #11,460 of 14,276
Its my birthday, this is what i got from my SO, an Buddha to Buddha aquatic explorer chrono with a rotating compass bezel. I've been eying this model for awhile, so was absolutely thrilled when I got it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back