Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #11,401 of 14,276
I agree, I think they have a fantastic look to them. Although, frequently with watches I find myself really appreciating a design, but acknowledging I wouldn't want to wear it myself. That's kind of how I feel about those hands. Also, the price. I'd be a lot more tempted if they were $300, but for that price range, I just don't love it enough.

I agree. They are a good bit overpriced at full price. But I did catch that C65 at just over $300 shipped on sale and by purchasing it through the EU portion of their site at euro prices (dollar is doing good against euros) using PayPal. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #11,403 of 14,276
I don't even think they're overpriced, just in that price range, there are plenty of other things I would like. The Oris Aquis is veeerrrryyy nice. Honestly, at this point, as soon as I save up a few funds my next diver might just be the Ocean 1 black to complement my O1 GMT Pepsi. That's not a plan by any means, but more of a gut. It seem like people who buy Ocean 1's are all like stunned at the quality for the money.

I am not surprised. I have been very tempted to get one :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #11,405 of 14,276
I could save up and get something like the Aquis, which I like very much, but I really can't justify spending around twice as much money for a watch with design that I don't even quite like as much. Plus it's kind of that middle-ground I'm trying to avoid where it really is a decent chunk of change, and if I'm going to save up that much for once piece, I should just keep going and get something closer to a grail piece, like a more affordable Omega. 

Honestly, one step at a time, though. The way I go about hobbies, in 2 months I'll fall in a deep trance with G-Shocks and suddenly acquire more than Moedawg... okay maybe not haha :D  

One thing I have liked about developing a passion for watches is how well most tend to hold their value assuming they are taken care of, and I tend to take care of the things I cherish. I just sold my Maratac SR-3 for the same price I bought it for, and I wore it a bunch over the course of 5 months, I'll take it! It allows me to change my mind a lot and not lose all my money haha.

On a completely separate note, I really wish I could've connected with the horology gene in my family. I know my grandfather was into watches, I actually have this vivid memory of seeing a cyclops on his watch when I was very little, but he passed well before I developed this passion. It's something we could've bonded over, and I would've loved to have been given a piece that had sentimental value behind it. I'm young now, but one goal I have for one I start a family is to pass down a grail watch I one day acquire so that it continues on in my family with sentimental value. 

I don't think the Oris divers look much (if at all) better than the Steinhards, so I know what you mean. Omega Seamasters are nice, but I don't think I'd derive much more pleasure from owning one.

I'm hard on watches, even though I try not to be. If I wear them, bracelets and bands and clasps and cases get scratched. No hope for me about reselling what I wear as mint condition. LOL

That's interesting about your grandfather. I don't know what my grandfather on one side wore, but on my mom's side, he bought really cheap watches.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #11,406 of 14,276
So I saw this the other day at my local Sam's club, this a good price?

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #11,407 of 14,276
  So I saw this the other day at my local Sam's club, this a good price?

Not overly so, no.  Regular price is is going to be about $4800.  It's hard to tell the exact model from your photo.  I've seem them as low as $3500 around from other grey market dealers.  Many sites have it listed for $3700.  If it was from an AD, it would be pretty solid, but not from a place like Sam's.  If you know where to look, you can definitely do better.  The only catch would be shipping/duty if you aren't in the USA.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #11,408 of 14,276
Got this on a close out sale, my first g-shock, the color is blue but it looks purple when in dark area's. It wears a lot smaller then the specs makes you believes, at 55x51mm it wears about the same as my other 46-48mm seiko's.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #11,409 of 14,276
Hey cvbcbcmv, here is a new pepsi diver coming out to complement your Ocean 1 pepsi. It's a special edition PADI Prospex Civer from coming out this fall:

Here's more info
http://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2016/RLS1603-01/index.html

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #11,411 of 14,276
I recently saw that! It's nice, but personally I think I'd save some money and just get an SKX.

I feel like I have to own an SKX... Just because it's an SKX. Although at this point I think I'd rather save up a bit more and just get a non-GMT ocean 1 to pair with the GMT. We shall see, I get my GMT Ocean 1 Wednesday!

Also, it will be coming in black. Steinhart never received my emails asking to change to Pepsi, so the black was sent. They are sending me a Pepsi bezel free of charge, though, so I can just put that on when I like. Best of both worlds, I guess!

What I'm thinking I'll do is wear it for a while with black (it will be a few weeks before the bezel arrives anyway) and just kinda see how I like it. Then, when I decide for sure and purchase another black diver (again, likely gonna be a black ceramic Ocean 1), that's when I'll go ahead and swap the bezels on my GMT for the Pepsi. That way I have a nice, fun Pepsi diver, and a more classy, black diver. Or I'll just swap out the bezel when I get a big scratch on the black one. Whichever of those two events comes first!

That's a somewhat long-ish term plan, though. I don't want to buy that second diver, or make any other large purchases for that matter, until I return from working at this summer camp in early August. Before I go there, I'll need to buy that G-Shock I discussed a while back purely for function. I'm thinking I'll go with whatever the most affordable, atomic timekeeping option I can find is.

Or just get an SKX and use this to set the time every few days:

http://www.time.gov/

:)

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #11,413 of 14,276

Not overly so, no.  Regular price is is going to be about $4800.  It's hard to tell the exact model from your photo.  I've seem them as low as $3500 around from other grey market dealers.  Many sites have it listed for $3700.  If it was from an AD, it would be pretty solid, but not from a place like Sam's.  If you know where to look, you can definitely do better.  The only catch would be shipping/duty if you aren't in the USA.

THX BFP, I usually don't trust Sam's goods and always wonder where they get these odd offerings like someone knocked off a truck or store and they are hot! Most are the gaudy Invicta's, the a few Citizen's, Tag's but never like they stock them more like they pickup seconds here and there. I'm stateside by the way
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back