Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 10, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #11,266 of 14,275
Mar 10, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #11,268 of 14,275
^ Love Vail. My favorite summer destination. For a while, we went there year after year.

It's absolutely gorgeous. Also loved passing by the hot springs in nearby Glenwood Springs (on the way to Aspen). Here's a couple of iPhone pics of Vail about an hour ago from this post:

As for the G-Shock worn in my previous post, I picked one that has world time so it was easy to immediately choose the next time zone city as I travel the country. I also brought the 2nd Gen Bluetooth so it automatically syncs with whichever time the iPhone (or Android-compatible device) is set.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #11,269 of 14,275
Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Haven't been to Vail since 2013 and I miss it dearly. It's definitely been a tradition, and hope to restart it next summer. Also one of my favorites is having burgers and beer at Dillon Dam Brewery in (somewhat nearby) Dillon, watching the sunset.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #11,270 of 14,275
Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Haven't been to Vail since 2013 and I miss it dearly. It's definitely been a tradition, and hope to restart it next summer. Also one of my favorites is having burgers and beer at Dillon Dam Brewery in (somewhat nearby) Dillon, watching the sunset.

Happy to share positivity! :beerchug: Yeah, you should get back to the tradition if you can especially if you have awesome digs/timeshares/etc.

The only yearly tradition I have so far is attending or coaching at the HS CA State Wrestling Championships, held in Bakersfield (used to be held in Stockton). Not a whole lot to do out there, but Bakersfield does have this yummy restaurant called Moo Creamery and they have an arcade/mini golf-type place with old school arcade games I used to play such as Street Fighter (series), Killer Instinct, and others.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #11,272 of 14,275
I will be traveling to Japan in a month and seeking for some suggestion for my first G-Shock to buy while I am there.

It will be use on a day-to-day basis with not specific utility in mind.  Analog hands is optional since I already have other mechanical watches.  Solar charging is a must.  Not wanting to replace the battery on an annual basis.  Budget-wise, I want to keep it under $500. 

Is there any JDM model I should look out for?  I am not a fan of the squarish G-Shock 5000-Series.

Thanks all in advance!

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #11,274 of 14,275

Classic PP!  And just weeks ago was the moment every perpetual owner dreams of :)

What's not classic is my completely forgetting about it and not even taking it out of the box til a couple of days ago. I usually have a couple of nicer pieces in rotation and the rest in the safe or winder, and I totally missed the whole raison d'être of a perpetual this year. O_o. However, I should also say that the darn thing is too small for my eyes anyway, I have to squint at the subdials. My primary means of telling time is still my iphone :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #11,275 of 14,275
Does it automatically compensate for Feb and Leap years? 

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #11,276 of 14,275
  Does it automatically compensate for Feb and Leap years? 

Yes, that's why they are called perpetual calendar grand complications. They are good until year 2100 (although there might be more exotic movements compensating even for that, but I'm not aware of any one in particular).

There are also annual calendar complications (cf. patek 5146 for details) which only need to be set once per year.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #11,277 of 14,275

What's not classic is my completely forgetting about it and not even taking it out of the box til a couple of days ago. I usually have a couple of nicer pieces in rotation and the rest in the safe or winder, and I totally missed the whole raison d'être of a perpetual this year. O_o. However, I should also say that the darn thing is too small for my eyes anyway, I have to squint at the subdials. My primary means of telling time is still my iphone :)

I don't think watches like this have anything do with telling time, so I appreciate your iPhone comment.

What a shame to own a perpetual and miss a leap year!  HAHA!  TZ will full of posts about it on the 29th.  Could have bought a 5146 and save some money :)  

I know, I know, it's just not the same.

EDIT - We both went to the 5146.  Great minds and fools...

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #11,279 of 14,275
I've got my eye on an 1969 Alfa Romeo Giulia GT 1300 Junior for about that same price... they are all beautiful though. I need richer clients. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back