Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 23, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #9,241 of 14,276
Omega Seamaster 300m coaxial (probably between 5 and 12 years old)

Omega Planet Ocean

Christopher Ward Trident Pro 600

-The Seamaster is probably an Aqua Terra, then? (I may be wrong, but I do not think that the Seamaster Professional line got coaxial movements until quite recently?) In that case - the Aqua Terras are some of the most versatile watches I know, they do look the part whether you are dressed in swimming trunks or a tuxedo.

The PO (42mm) has been my daily wearer for the better part of ten years now - it still looks great though I have by no means been babysitting it - quite the contrary, I've used it as a work watch and let me tell you, this watch is tough as nails. While not as versatile as the Aqua Terras, it does dress up surprisingly well.

As for the Trident, I have never owned one, but a colleague has one, loves it to bits - and I am most impressed by the quality of the finish; it is just about impeccable. Matter of fact, I want one.

Bottom line - IMHO you cannot go wrong regardless of which watch you choose; being an engineer, I do have a soft spot for the coaxial movements - after all, it is arguably the largest innovation in horology in a couple of centuries - and it is so simple that even I can understand how it works and why it is such a good idea!.

I'd probably get an Aqua Terra to go along with my Speedmaster as a dress watch. :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #9,242 of 14,276
From the "micro-brands" out there that always catches my attention, Steinhart and Chris Ward are definitely on top. Omega is of course a proven brand with great looking/working watches, but just to try something different I would go with a C.Ward watch. An Omega can wait! :wink:

BTW, love the Aqua Terra!!
Would love to have this one in the future: http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/co-axial-41-5-mm/23110422102002

In the meantime, just bought this one:

http://www.tourneau.com/shop/brand/ball-watch/fireman-racer-51399p

My wrist and I can't wait to receive all of them watches!
(Just this month got the Steinhart, a G-Shock and this Ball watch. Guess that's it for me for quite a while! Although, I'm looking at a Seiko Kinetic as well...)

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9,243 of 14,276
-The Seamaster is probably an Aqua Terra, then? (I may be wrong, but I do not think that the Seamaster Professional line got coaxial movements until quite recently?) In that case - the Aqua Terras are some of the most versatile watches I know, they do look the part whether you are dressed in swimming trunks or a tuxedo.

The PO (42mm) has been my daily wearer for the better part of ten years now - it still looks great though I have by no means been babysitting it - quite the contrary, I've used it as a work watch and let me tell you, this watch is tough as nails. While not as versatile as the Aqua Terras, it does dress up surprisingly well.

As for the Trident, I have never owned one, but a colleague has one, loves it to bits - and I am most impressed by the quality of the finish; it is just about impeccable. Matter of fact, I want one.

Bottom line - IMHO you cannot go wrong regardless of which watch you choose; being an engineer, I do have a soft spot for the coaxial movements - after all, it is arguably the largest innovation in horology in a couple of centuries - and it is so simple that even I can understand how it works and why it is such a good idea!.

I'd probably get an Aqua Terra to go along with my Speedmaster as a dress watch. :)

No would be looking at the professional........you can get 9 year old coaxial movements. Just really depends on what I can warrant spending immediately or whether I spend a bit more time waiting and get a newer and hence more expensive omega.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #9,244 of 14,276
No would be looking at the professional........you can get 9 year old coaxial movements. Just really depends on what I can warrant spending immediately or whether I spend a bit more time waiting and get a newer and hence more expensive omega.

-Aah, thanks for the correction. As for newer/more expensive, if you've got a decent watchmaker around, a quick service should basically return the innards to as new-condition. (Though I would suspect used prices to depreciate to the tune of what a CLA would cost, give or take.)

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #9,245 of 14,276
The Polarized Marble G-Shock watch arrived yesterday.  I purchased based on the photos that I have seen online, and did not actually get to try it on at any brick and mortar store in my area because they were not in stock yet.  That said, the watch makes you perform a double-take, as the marble sheen and color changes based on the amount of light that is emitted on a particular area of the watch.  The watch can have a blue, green, lavender or purple sheen to it as a result.

Here's some photos:

Blue to green to lavender to purple sheen (even-spread lighting):

Blue sheen (direct light to area):

Watch light emitted:

On the wrist:

Blue sheen (flash of camera to area):

On the wrist - watch light emitted:

There is definitely no other G-Shock quite like this one, and I am happy to add it to my collection.  Take care, chronographers!  

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #9,248 of 14,276
Mar 24, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #9,250 of 14,276
Mar 24, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #9,252 of 14,276

I sense a story with regret is behind that comment...

Sorry to hear it isn't still around.

Well yes, regret, but only recently. I sold it because I wasn't wearing it. That's all. Loved it, but wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate AND use it.
That said, my circumstances have changed in a way that would allow me to wear it much, much more regularly. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back