Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #8,146 of 14,276
  Nice, just like mine. All the numerals are worn off the bezel ring! You know a jeweler can polish that crystal back up to picture window clear
cool.gif
 27 years ago when my wrist was possibly (that's a big possibly) smaller it did not look so small on my wrist but it is my smallest faced diver now
rolleyes.gif
 As the Feat's would say "There's a fat man in the bathtub..................with the Blues"
blink.gif
 LOL

I hear you moan...

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #8,148 of 14,276
Thanks for the responses guys. I love the Subs too, but there is just something about them and their reputation that I can't get over at this point in my life. As a young professional, I feel like there is a sort of stigma against them ("Oh, you have a Rolex?"). I think I am going have to get to an Omega store soon to try some things on.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #8,149 of 14,276
Ohhh, a watch thread!

Bremont is the end all be all of watch brands for me. Their watches are high tech and sleek but not blingy and just the right size at 43mm. I have six of them. My family and friends think I am crazy because I was going to get a new car but instead got six Bremont watches. Here is an album I uploaded a while ago. I have many better pictures but these are the ones online I could find. I also own a 1989 Rolex Submariner no date that my father gave me.

Various pics below.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #8,150 of 14,276
  Ohhh, a watch thread!

Bremont is the end all be all of watch brands for me. Their watches are high tech and sleek but not blingy and just the right size at 43mm. I have six of them. My family and friends think I am crazy because I was going to get a new car but instead got six Bremont watches. Here is an album I uploaded a while ago. I have many better pictures but these are the ones online I could find. I also own a 1989 Rolex Submariner no date that my father gave me.

Various pics below.

Man, the Bremont's are well out of my league, the Wright Flyer is $18,000 pounds
eek.gif
 I can't imagine what you have tied up in those 6 beautiful watches
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #8,151 of 14,276
  Thanks for the responses guys. I love the Subs too, but there is just something about them and their reputation that I can't get over at this point in my life. As a young professional, I feel like there is a sort of stigma against them ("Oh, you have a Rolex?"). I think I am going have to get to an Omega store soon to try some things on.

I don't think you understand Rolex. Comparing the Omega and Rolex, Rolex is what Omega pretends to be. Omega makes nice watches but so does any other brand really, what stands out between brands is their true value over time. Rolex you can easily get what you paid for later on, Omega you will lose a good deal. Their are three different watches in the world. Real Watches are from a long true historic brand that their lowest priced piece starts in about $22k of what you actually will pay after discounts. Good example are A&S or Patek. the second type of Watch is the Decent stuff where you have to have a truly historic brand with an entry at about $6k for their lowest piece after discounts. Rolex is one of the more famed brands in this Segment. The third type of Watch is just regular Watches, This can be any brand not in the previous two areas. Tag, Mavado, Zenith, Omega, Breitling, Seiko, Casio, are all in this category. They all will lose a good deal on what you paid because in time (pun intended) these pieces are worthless and when buying a watch it is the value in time is what separates one from another. The planet ocean won't be worth anything remotely close to what you paid in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years..but that Rolex will be. of course their are a few tiny exceptions to this, The Omega Speedmaster classic is a true classic piece, Breitling Navitimer is another. 

Buy the Rolex if you want a decent watch for the price, if not just buy a Casio G-shock or a cheap Tissot or Sieko. Don't buy a watch who pretends to be something it is not and never will be. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #8,152 of 14,276
  Man, the Bremont's are well out of my league, the Wright Flyer is $18,000 pounds
eek.gif
 I can't imagine what you have tied up in those 6 beautiful watches
blink.gif

I never went for any of the special edition watches. The SP-120 is one I would have loved but the special editions are far too much for me to spend at one time. And yeah, I will be paying off these watches probably until I'm 35. I regret nothing though!

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #8,154 of 14,276
  I don't think you understand Rolex. Comparing the Omega and Rolex, Rolex is what Omega pretends to be. Omega makes nice watches but so does any other brand really, what stands out between brands is their true value over time. Rolex you can easily get what you paid for later on, Omega you will lose a good deal. Their are three different watches in the world. Real Watches are from a long true historic brand that their lowest priced piece starts in about $22k of what you actually will pay after discounts. Good example are A&S or Patek. the second type of Watch is the Decent stuff where you have to have a truly historic brand with an entry at about $6k for their lowest piece after discounts. Rolex is one of the more famed brands in this Segment. The third type of Watch is just regular Watches, This can be any brand not in the previous two areas. Tag, Mavado, Zenith, Omega, Breitling, Seiko, Casio, are all in this category. They all will lose a good deal on what you paid because in time (pun intended) these pieces are worthless and when buying a watch it is the value in time is what separates one from another. The planet ocean won't be worth anything remotely close to what you paid in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years..but that Rolex will be. of course their are a few tiny exceptions to this, The Omega Speedmaster classic is a true classic piece, Breitling Navitimer is another. 

Buy the Rolex if you want a decent watch for the price, if not just buy a Casio G-shock or a cheap Tissot or Sieko. Don't buy a watch who pretends to be something it is not and never will be. 

The image of Rolex suffers by its association in recent years with the oafish bling set and conspicuous consumption in general. I don't know if Rolex actively encouraged this with their marketing, but it detracts from the quality of the watches themselves.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #8,155 of 14,276

What a load of cobblers. How much you get back on a watch really depends on how long you keep it. Buy a new Rolex and sell it a week later and you won't get what you paid. Personally I could afford either but chose a Planet Ocean over The Submariner as it looked nicer to my personal eye, nothing to do with money.

Edit: in case of any confusion I tried both watches on the same day. The thin strap of the Submariner really switched me off.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #8,156 of 14,276

I'm sorry, but I have to politely disagree with most of what you've written here...  (How can you put Zenith in the same category as Casio?)

I would usually let a post like this go but your last statement got me because it fundamentally goes against the very point you are trying to make.  Please don't take this as an attack, it's not meant as such, just my observation as someone who has been a life long collector of brands from Alpina to Zei, has worked in the industry and comes from a family with a long history in the horology world.  I'm not an expert, but I'm what most would describe as "hardcore".

Rolex watches were originally built for farmers or military people; they were built for the common man.  A watch that could be worn on the wrist and in the field.  It could get dirty, wet, hit and persevere.  That was what Rolex was all about.  It is only as of late (30 - 40 years) has their marketing (and prices) shifted towards becoming a "luxury" brand.  It's only recently that they started regularly using precious metals, stones and delicate finishes.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Rolex.  They were the first brand I loved.  I have several and wear a DateJust as my regular every day watch, but, they are the poster child for a brand pretending to be something they are not.

My wife has a aunt that wears a Rolex and I found out she was a regular client of certain jewelry store that primarily sold Cartier watches.  I asked her why she wasn't wearing a Cartier to which he crassly pointed repeated to her wrist and said, "Rolex".

Years ago my wife and I had a birthday party for me and one of my wife's friends asked her what she had gotten me for my birthday.  She said a Patek Phillipe wrist watch to which her friend replied, "Oh, why didn't you get him a Rolex?"

The vast majority of people have this perception of Rolex that is totally unfounded.  Many Rolex's lose value over time.  Yes, some of the professional series of Rolex are in high demand right now and hold value exceptionally well but this is a new trend and not true of all Rolex's.  There was a time, not too long ago, when a Newman Daytona was almost worthless.  Nor is it un-true of other pieces from other brands.  Rolex also has done a good job of artificially keeping the prices of certain pieces high by keeping tight control on dealer discounting which automatically inflates second had values, but doesn't mean that it holds the value better.

Please don't be upset or angry.  I'm just saying that I, a stranger on the internet, doesn't agree with your thoughts on this but has no negative feelings towards you.

Anyway, here is a picture of a watch.

All the best.

-Paul

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #8,157 of 14,276
Oct 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #8,158 of 14,276
Hmmm, wish I could have said it in the same way....

A beautiful timepiece Paul, you are more fortunate than most to have such a rich history in something so many of us are so passionate about.

I am sure you could post a few more pics.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #8,159 of 14,276

I don't think you understand some things. This is the kind of view that really puts me off some so-called watch aficionados. You've reduced it all to a dollar value.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #8,160 of 14,276
I don't think you understand some things. This is the kind of view that really puts me off some so-called watch aficionados. You've reduced it all to a dollar value.

And his collection is made up of Invictas!! :wink:

Anyway, still looking for my 'perfect' business/professional watch... have too many divers and casual big watches, need something more subtle and beautiful but, it's hard because I like big watches...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back