Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #7,878 of 14,284
I got it as a birthday gift, i personally love it because of how it looks and i won't need to check my phone once in a while. I needed a watch for school anyway. So i guess i chose a good watch that can possibly last longer than i expect :D

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #7,879 of 14,284

I passed on the AVI-8. Even during the lightning deal it looked like workmanship wasn't worth the price they were asking. The various images show misaligned paint and overall a lack of attention to the fine details. I've had sub-$100 watches that have precise detailing so even though I liked the look quite a bit it wasn't worth the investment. And I think if I'm to buy another watch any time soon it'd be either one I've had my eyes on for some time or a nice automatic with Swiss movement.

Yes - a co-worker ordered one of those through Amazon and arranged to return it within minutes of opening the box - because the "second marks" weren't even spaced correctly on the dial.  The marks would come into alignment with the second hand for only about 1/3 of the dial.  Yuck!

Casio watch, Nothing too fancy, i guess...

Probably the only watch i can have until it breaks :p

But it's a beautiful watch!  Enjoy it!  

I'm somewhat like you, in terms of self-discipline (only barely), in that I've managed to stop "collecting" watches - with five that are working fine, I've got four more than I "need."

biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #7,880 of 14,284
zilch0md said:
But it's a beautiful watch!  Enjoy it!  

I'm somewhat like you, in terms of self-discipline (only barely), in that I've managed to stop "collecting" watches - with five that are working fine, I've got four more than I "need."

biggrin.gif

Thank you, Luckily that watch was the last in stock there in the store. Well i'm not surprised about head-fiers spends lots on stuff so...
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,882 of 14,284
Collecting watches is the other hobby I have and like audio equipment, is destructive on your savings. :rolleyes:

I've thinned the herd a while back, but still have a Bulova Seaking as backup, a 60's Omega Seamaster Geneve and a 70's Tissot Seastar that I wear daily among others that I have stored away. Lots of 'sea' in this era.

Nothing comes close to a mechanical watch IMHO. Amazingly enough, I haven't serviced any of these watches in years, but still keep time accurate to the minute each day, unless I forget to wind them over the weekend. :D

May post images later.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #7,883 of 14,284
Collecting watches is the other hobby I have and like audio equipment, is destructive on your savings.
rolleyes.gif

I've thinned the herd a while back, but still have a Bulova Seaking as backup, a 60's Omega Seamaster Geneve and a 70's Tissot Seastar that I wear daily among others that I have stored away. Lots of 'sea' in this era.

Nothing comes close to a mechanical watch IMHO. Amazingly enough, I haven't serviced any of these watches in years, but still keep time accurate to the minute each day, unless I forget to wind them over the weekend.
biggrin.gif

May post images later.

Please do. Images are good.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #7,888 of 14,284
Anyone know good places to buy vintage watches online, aside from ebay?

-I've had nothing but great experience with Neil at chronomaster.co.uk; he's got a nice (though not exhaustive!) collection of vintage watches on offer for what I consider reasonable prices.

I've also bought from watches.co.uk twice - no complaints, though my impression is that their mark-up is slightly higher than at Chronomaster.

Finally, chrono24.com is essentially the eBay of watches.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #7,889 of 14,284
-I've had nothing but great experience with Neil at chronomaster.co.uk; he's got a nice (though not exhaustive!) collection of vintage watches on offer for what I consider reasonable prices.

I've also bought from watches.co.uk twice - no complaints, though my impression is that their mark-up is slightly higher than at Chronomaster.

Finally, chrono24.com is essentially the eBay of watches.

Ooo thank you! Now to find the Longines of my dreams...

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #7,890 of 14,284
  Amazon has a couple of 20% off coupons that work on watches they sell. 20OFFWATCH and SUMMERSAV work on many different models but they don't stack. I've been wanting a new watch lately but I have no idea what to pick. So many choices.

Interesting!

I just tried the 20OFFWATCH code without actually purchasing, but the price was recalculated with a 20% discount against this Movado - a savings of $199:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X0SU3O

If you're just window shopping, remember to delete it from your cart.  

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back