Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #7,742 of 14,276
It's a beautiful watch Blurr
beerchug.gif
I've had one for a few years now, pictured on this thread a while back. It's actually one of my most commented watches, quite striking in the flesh and until recently my go to daily casual.

Enjoy!

I have to say, I didn't I think would like this one more than my Direct drives, but it's simply an amazing watch, the bezel actions is so smooth and the clicks are very satisfying. I also love the divers extension, which help a lot cause my wrist tend to grow about halve an inch when I'm hot, which happens several times a day. The bracelet also amazingly comfortable, a bit on the heavy side, but that is just the way I like it big and heavy.
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #7,743 of 14,276
  In the watch world, as in so many others, there's always someone with more money than taste...

And there are also those moments when you finally understand what they were going for 
blink.gif

Steven Tyler with the notorious "Leopard Daytona".

I actually got to handle this watch (not his, but one at a dealer) and although certainly not my style, there is something special about it.  It's not as bad as one might think...  Especially on the just the right person.

May 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #7,744 of 14,276
  Thanks for the info Paulie!
(now I know that I wont need to buy any more winders!!)

Also, since it seems you know the craft, can you share part of your collection or your favorites and mention why you like 'em or any interesting tidbits or stories?

Thanks!

Hmmm...  Not sure really what I can offer you but I will do my best!  I generally only keep 3 watches at home at a time, a daily, a weekender and an evening watch.  I try and change it up to keep things interesting.  I find not having them all at home gives a bit of the 'new watch' excitement when I change the rotation (at a much lower cost than an actual new watch!).  I try to rotate out from the bank every three months or so.

Right now - taken just for you 
wink.gif
 - are the three at home:

My daily with lots of ware.  This is watch gets a beating to be honest.  And it takes it all in stride.  Love 'em or hate 'em, Rolex is where it is for a a good reason.  The biggest problem with Rolex are some of the customers.  So many wear one thinking it is an elegant watch which could not be further from the truth.  Rolex was founded in 1905 by Hans Wilsdorf and his brother-in-law Alfred Davis.  The company was first known as “Wilsdorf & Davis” and they made quality timepieces at affordable prices.  At the time, wristwatches were for military men and not for everyday – that’s what pocket watches were for.  Wilsdorf helped bring the wristwatch to the everyman. 

You may know that the name Rolex comes from picking letters from the term "horology exquisite" which means exquisite watchmaking.  You may not know that the design of the Rolex was so that regardless of ethnicity, vernacular or accent it is always pronounced the same.  Basically, if you can say it, you’ve said it correctly - A testament to their fundamental devotion to versatility.

Rolex, in the scheme of things build work hose watches with durable but ugly movements.  Price aside, they are in no way a luxury item (sorry, but that's the real truth).  There are better finished, more exclusive watches out there for far less money.  None, however, off the durability, functionality and longevity.  They are meant to be extremely functional, durable pieces.  But I could rant forever about the brand that I love so very much.

Rolex Date-Just 116234 with a 'pink' dial, although it really is more copper.  

My weekender and evening is this.  It's a heavy watch, but a bit chameleon like.  I also have a Breguet rubber and leather strap for it making it my most versatile watch.  The wide flat lugs are scratch magnets.  

There are few bands that carry the weight that Breguet does.  It’s a company draped in mystery and history.  Worm by many of the revolutionaries of the world, founded in 1775, has been on the side lines of much of our modern history.  They don’t have a logo because they don’t need a logo.  Breguet’s are unmistakable in their design and DNA.  They are the exact opposite of Rolex: always meant to cater to the elite with bespoke designs, ultra complex pieces and world class craftsmanship.  If you have the chance to pick up a Breguet in person, do it.  The guilloché is mind bending.  The detail on the hands is like no other.  The distinctive perfect coin edging on the case…  Oh me oh my.  There are few products in the world that match the detailing and finish of a Breguet at any price.  Each one is a handcrafted work of art.  

A Breguet 5817 'Marine'.

And finally my evening/out for dinner watch.  I took this one out because it is was announced at Basel that it is being re-issued in very limited numbers this year.  This is a Jaeger Le Coultre Geophysic.  What can I say about this watch...  SteveG's has a nice description:

"Jaeger-LeCoultre produced the Geophysic in anticipation of the International Geophysical Year, which ran from mid-1957 through 1958. Some 67 countries officially participated in a variety of experiments and observations of geophysical phenomena such as aurora, geomagnetism, glaciology and solar acivity. Apparently the Geophysic was often presented as a sign of hommage, for example being given to the crew of the first nuclear-powered submarine, the US Nautilus, after their successful first voyage under the north pole in 1958. Less than 800 examples were manufactured in total, in stainless steel and gold. "

Jaeger Le Coultre is another company that needs no introduction.  They make, and always have made, exceptional pieces.  In recent years they have really tried to push themselves up the horological food chain and have been the brand to watch (groan) by creating super sophisticated pieces to just extraordinarily well executed watches.  Jerome Lambert made an excellent brand an outstanding one in his time with company and if history repeats Mont Blanc will be the new kid in town to keep an eye on.  They are poised to be a powerhouse.

This watch is an utter joy to wear and is one of only a very select few that I baby.  It's a piece of history and should be respected as such.  

As for my favorite in my collection, you'll have to go a few pages back as I don't have the photos on my computer anymore.

(http://www.head-fi.org/t/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/7575)

It's my Omega 30T2rg.  It's just such a handsome watch.  Mine is about 70 years old but one would expect to see a similarly designed watch today.  That's a testament to good design.

All the best!!

-Paul

May 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7,745 of 14,276

Hmmm...  Not sure really what I can offer you but I will do my best!  I generally only keep 3 watches at home at a time, a daily, a weekender and an evening watch.  I try and change it up to keep things interesting.  I find not having them all at home gives a bit of the 'new watch' excitement when I change the rotation (at a much lower cost than an actual new watch!).  I try to rotate out from the bank every three months or so.

Right now - taken just for you 
wink.gif
 - are the three at home:

My weekender and evening is this.  It's a heavy watch, but a bit chameleon like.  I also have a Breguet rubber and leather strap for it making it my most versatile watch.  The wide flat lugs are scratch magnets.  

There are few bands that carry the weight that Breguet does.  It’s a company draped in mystery and history.  Worm by many of the revolutionaries of the world, founded in 1775, has been on the side lines of much of our modern history.  They don’t have a logo because they don’t need a logo.  Breguet’s are unmistakable in their design and DNA.  They are the exact opposite of Rolex: always meant to cater to the elite with bespoke designs, ultra complex pieces and world class craftsmanship.  If you have the chance to pick up a Breguet in person, do it.  The guilloché is mind bending.  The detail on the hands is like no other.  The distinctive perfect coin edging on the case…  Oh me oh my.  There are few products in the world that match the detailing and finish of a Breguet at any price.  Each one is a handcrafted work of art.  

As for my favorite in my collection, you'll have to go a few pages back as I don't have the photos on my computer anymore.

(http://www.head-fi.org/t/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/7575)

It's my Omega 30T2rg.  It's just such a handsome watch.  Mine is about 70 years old but one would expect to see a similarly designed watch today.  That's a testament to good design.

All the best!!

-Paul

Paul, thanks for taking the time for the pics and for the very good information provided.
I have to say, I LOVE how that Breguet looks! And the Omega... God... I need to sell lots and lots of things to actually buy a grail watch like these two but someday I will... someday! :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

May 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #7,746 of 14,276

Paul, thanks for taking the time for the pics and for the very good information provided.
I have to say, I LOVE how that Breguet looks! And the Omega... God... I need to sell lots and lots of things to actually buy a grail watch like these two but someday I will... someday! :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

The good news is that, if you can find one, the Omega is a bargain.  

The details on the Breguet, however, are really something else.  Those waves are etched out on a rose engine and it is surprising how small they are in person.  It gives the dial an almost silky texture.

May 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #7,751 of 14,276
Recently got myself an Omega Seamaster (2254.50.00) which I've been looking for almost a year now. Finally found one in near mint condition, latest possible year of manufacture (2008), recently serviced, all papers and boxes etc. It looks even more beautiful in nature, couldn't be happier about the purchase. Sinn 556i and probably Certina DS-1 have to go now though, Sinn is already sold actually.

May 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7,752 of 14,276
The secret message inscibed inside Abraham Lincoln's pocketwatch: http://www.retronaut.com/2012/01/secret-message-in-lincolns-pocketwatch-1861/?utm_content=buffer32b4c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

May 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #7,753 of 14,276
  Recently got myself an Omega Seamaster (2254.50.00) which I've been looking for almost a year now. Finally found one in near mint condition, latest possible year of manufacture (2008), recently serviced, all papers and boxes etc. It looks even more beautiful in nature, couldn't be happier about the purchase. Sinn 556i and probably Certina DS-1 have to go now though, Sinn is already sold actually.

-The 2254.50 is one of the most beautiful Seamasters _ever_.

I still regret every now and then that I didn't grasp the opportunity when my local dealer asked me six years ago whether I wanted to purchase her last in-stock 2255.50 (The electric blue twin to yours - the last 2254.50 was already gone).

I made amends (of a sort) later, though, when I found one of their GMT brethren in excellent condition second hand:

Apologies for the shoddy photo; my cellphone was the only camera at hand. (Oh, and never mind the date - I just took it out of the desk drawer, haven't worn it in a couple of weeks' time.

May 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #7,754 of 14,276

-The 2254.50 is one of the most beautiful Seamasters _ever_.

I still regret every now and then that I didn't grasp the opportunity when my local dealer asked me six years ago whether I wanted to purchase her last in-stock 2255.50 (The electric blue twin to yours - the last 2254.50 was already gone).

I made amends (of a sort) later, though, when I found one of their GMT brethren in excellent condition second hand:

Apologies for the shoddy photo; my cellphone was the only camera at hand. (Oh, and never mind the date - I just took it out of the desk drawer, haven't worn it in a couple of weeks' time.

One of the most beautiful, if not THE MOST beautiful Seamaster yes. I even prefer the looks to the new Planet Oceans. I don't really like the modern Seamaster line. The bracelet is awful and the watch itself isn't as good looking either. 

The GMT version is sure beautiful also, very similar to the 2254. 

May 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #7,755 of 14,276
I have two watches.
My Omega Speedmaster Date;

ezu4eme7.jpg

It's the watch I wear the most.

And here is my re-issue Tissot Visodate;

y9ene6an.jpg

This was a wedding gift from my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back