Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #7,651 of 14,276
Thanks for the insight on the watch value being worth more on the open market.

On the lines of getting a Milgauss for $5600 instead of $6600, we have to be careful about buying
from unauthorized dealers. That's why I stick with Tourneau in most cases. 
No one is allowed to sell a Rolex for less than MSRP. If they do and Rolex finds out about it,
then they can take away their "Authorized Dealership status". The way that Tourneau gets away with
lowering their prices, is to manipulate a trade-in, or like when I bought my Tag Heuer Ti5, they gave me
$300 towards a Casio Calculator watch, to be able to drop the Tag price the $300.

Speaking of Tourneau, I written earlier that I had brought my partially functioning Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean in
to them, and I had 3 days left on the warranty. 1 year from Omega (ridiculous, they should be ashamed) and 2 years
from Tourneau. This is a decent reason to buy from them. That and battery replacement and pressure test for life. My wife
has the Ladies Tag Kirium and every 3 years we get new batteries and they have a elephant sit on the watch to test for
leaks 
deadhorse.gif
("OK, you can get off now") 
tongue.gif

Anyway, they just wrote me, which is 2 weeks after I brought it to them for repair, and they told me they assessed the reserve
and winding problem, and they are going to do a complete overhaul and test on the watch, under warranty, no charge. However,
they gave me a 8 week ETA (time estimate, not the movement 
smile.gif
).
8 weeks??? they must be confusing my repair with a terrorist
Visa application.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #7,652 of 14,276
There are a lot of rumors out there about Rolex pricing and protection...  AD's are absolutely allowed to discount though.  I know from first hand experience.  They can be very reluctant to make down Professional models however because of the high demand.  There was a time about 10 years ago when Daytona's were so hot that you were lucky if you found one that could pay 'just' the MSRP at an AD.  My point is they CAN move the price but often won’t, espcaially on steel Professional models (GMT, Sub, Daytona, etc).  Ask about a two-tone DateJust or Cellini and will move pretty quick on the price.

8 weeks isn’t bad at all for a full service.  Typical Rolex turn around is about 2 months and high-end brands are much MUCH longer.  Some people wait over a year and complicated watches can take even longer…

Either way, that’s great that they are covering your Omega, that is a costly job!  
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #7,653 of 14,276
The dealer is got the deal from was a AD local to me, and evey dealer i walked into locally would give me a discount without much effort on my part. The white Mili is not the hottest seller so yes that helped move the price down also. And don't get me started on Tourneau. Years back i brought my old Raymond Weil into them to get polished, picked it up and they scratched the AR coating just a bit, brought it back and they completely took off the coating saying the watch was good as new. Horrible experience from the tourneau in Chicago and parking down town all those times was not helping it at all. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #7,657 of 14,276
Mar 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7,662 of 14,276
Its a nice watch, ticks 16 times a second so it looks fluid,
Also has a 256Khz quartz movement, so its suppose to be more accurate then normal quartz but apparently the reviews on WUS have showed that its not as accurate as citizen would like us to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back