Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 27, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #11,881 of 14,288

Is this like a new edition or something?! I like.

Possibly the colorway - I bought it from a place where sometimes random G-Shocks appear, and sometimes aren't sold at the department stores such as Macy's, Nordstrom, etc.  It's easily one of my favorite black-colored G's.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #11,882 of 14,288
Pretty cool.

I like the orange circle around the second hand. I need my reading glasses and Visine to see some of the amenities on the face :ph34r:

The smaller items can be a bit of a nuisance until you learn them. Also helps that I've had Lasik done; pretty sure it would have been a right mess trying to read that previously.

Also, I do use the slide ruler function more than I thought I would which surprised me.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #11,884 of 14,288
Never was a watch person. Then one day decided to buy a Casio GW-5000. They run about $300. Imported from Japan. I love it and wear it all the time.

Nice! Was this the one you purchased?

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #11,888 of 14,288
Dec 4, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #11,889 of 14,288
I'm leaning towards the one with glass display back myself, but maybe I'll change my mind too when the time to buy finally comes.

By the way, how strict dress codes do the high-end watch stores have? I'm visiting HK now, and was wondering do they even let people dressed in t-shirts and shorts inside the store. Would love to check out Audermars Piguet watches, even though I can't see myself ever affording one.

I wear a tshirt and shorts when I go to ADs all the time. It doesn't matter what you wear.

But... It's their job to make sales, it's a little rude to take up their time when you know you're not planning to buy in the near future, let alone ever.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #11,890 of 14,288
Hesalite, solid back. Definitely has something special to it. I held them both side by side, and I thought I'd want sapphire, but there's just something about it... I guess the ideal model is the one with hesalite front and sapphire back (3475 I wanna say?) but I had a great deal on a brand new one, so I went for it.

Good choice. The moonwatch is the quintessential Omega and deceivingly versatile.

The movement is beautiful, especially since it's not obstructed by a rotor. But once the novelty of a display back wears off, the extra thickness and knowing it's just a step further away from it's heritage becomes annoying.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #11,891 of 14,288
I wear a tshirt and shorts when I go to ADs all the time. It doesn't matter what you wear.

But... It's their job to make sales, it's a little rude to take up their time when you know you're not planning to buy in the near future, let alone ever.

-Depends on how you approach it; if I am just there to gawk, I tend to let the staff know immediately - leaving them to decide whether they want to spend time chatting with me if it is a slow day in the store or just leave me to my own devices.

Incidentally, best service I ever received was when oohing and aaahing my way through the Wempe on Kurfürstendamm in Berlin a few years ago; I let them know that I was just there for looking at their A. Lange range, possibly looking to buy in several years' time, if times were still good in my business - and was promptly showered with (polite and welcome) attention, given a tour, tried on lovely watches until I had to ask them to stop putting them on the desk in front of me, being sent off with a tote bag full of catalogs and a couple of books.

Result? When and if I finally feel comfortable spending such an insane amount of money on a watch (I've almost saved up enough, over a period of more than seven years, but with current job security similar to that of someone hawking The Satanic Verses on a Teheran streetcorner, shopping luxuries is Out with a capital O) - I'll be going to that very same store, and I'll let them know precisely why I've come all the way from just under the arctic circle to pay them a visit. Because of their stellar service ages ago.

(At some point I really, really want to own a gold watch; hopefully either a A. Lange Saxonia (thin) or a Patek Calatrava 5196R - IMHO the Lange hands are more esthetically pleasing than the Patek ones, whereas the Patek has the upper hand with regards to the case, in particular how the lugs are attached to it...)

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #11,892 of 14,288
-Depends on how you approach it; if I am just there to gawk, I tend to let the staff know immediately - leaving them to decide whether they want to spend time chatting with me if it is a slow day in the store or just leave me to my own devices.

Incidentally, best service I ever received was when oohing and aaahing my way through the Wempe on Kurfürstendamm in Berlin a few years ago; I let them know that I was just there for looking at their A. Lange range, possibly looking to buy in several years' time, if times were still good in my business - and was promptly showered with (polite and welcome) attention, given a tour, tried on lovely watches until I had to ask them to stop putting them on the desk in front of me, being sent off with a tote bag full of catalogs and a couple of books.

Result? When and if I finally feel comfortable spending such an insane amount of money on a watch (I've almost saved up enough, over a period of more than seven years, but with current job security similar to that of someone hawking The Satanic Verses on a Teheran streetcorner, shopping luxuries is Out with a capital O) - I'll be going to that very same store, and I'll let them know precisely why I've come all the way from just under the arctic circle to pay them a visit. Because of their stellar service ages ago.

(At some point I really, really want to own a gold watch; hopefully either a A. Lange Saxonia (thin) or a Patek Calatrava 5196R - IMHO the Lange hands are more esthetically pleasing than the Patek ones, whereas the Patek has the upper hand with regards to the case, in particular how the lugs are attached to it...)

Fair enough, as long as it's clear to the employees, it's probably fine.

You might also consider VC... It's in line with what you're looking at. The gold Traditionnelle is a fantastic dress watch.

Though I hardly ever wear my dress watches... I prefer the sportier models for everyday wear. Nautilus is nice. Rolex SubC is a great beater... That thing can take some licks.

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #11,893 of 14,288
You might also consider VC... It's in line with what you're looking at. The gold Traditionnelle is a fantastic dress watch.

-Agreed, I've seen a couple of their ultra thin offerings and they are absolutely wonderful.

Part of the reason for primarily considering Lange/Patek is simply that my local watchmaker says she's comfortable doing any work on those, but for some reason or the other she rather won't work on VCs; she declined to offer any details why, but left the impression that VC were not as forthcoming when it came to parts & documentation to independent watchmakers as Lange and Patek were.

Anyway, first the oil&gas business needs to pick up a little bit. :/

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #11,895 of 14,288
  Words of a truly untrustworthy watchmaker. 

-I think that conclusion is a bit harsh; her work on just about anything else* for the past three decades has been impeccable, with a quick turnaround and reasonable prices.

*) Vintage Certinas and Tissots, Omegas both current and vintage (c.2500, c.1861, c.354 and c.321), a vintage IWC pocket watch, a 14270 Explorer...

As there's hardly anything magical about VC movements, I can only assume that there are other reasons for her preferring not to work on them. Her competence is not in doubt; neither is the benefit of a local watchmaker. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back