Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 9, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #1,021 of 14,276
I need to pick out a watch for around $200-$300... I have NO clue what to get
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #1,022 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I need to pick out a watch for around $200-$300... I have NO clue what to get
frown.gif

there is so much out there and I am by no means anyone who knows much about this but I love my Tissot t-race so much its my work watch..

find a local dealer and check them out then go to ebay for a used one..

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #1,024 of 14,276
No one grokked my awesome Orient Star, huh? Ya know they make their own movements, and are tough to find.
wink.gif

img_0236.png

img_0250.png

img_0243.png

And it may be quartz, but at least it looks cool:

img_0223.png

I know they didn't cost thousands, but cost isn't the only thing to consider.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #1,025 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
No one grokked my awesome Orient Star, huh? Ya know they make their own movements, and are tough to find.
wink.gif

img_0236.png

img_0250.png

img_0243.png

I know they didn't cost thousands, but cost isn't the only thing to consider.
wink.gif

You're right, someone should have given you props for the Orient Star. Nice watches and great prices from them. I especially like the color of the dial on yours. Almost looks like black MOP.

Much like yourself I'm also a fan of the Orient brand. I bought this piece from their M-Force collection on eBay and picked up the yellow stitched Hadley Roma strap for it on the bay as well.

OrientYellowBeast.jpg

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #1,027 of 14,276
i have watched this thread for ages.

i always collected good automatics and winders. therefore i never considered rolex as a serious collector. i mean no offense by that statement either.

then my father left to me a newer submariner. it is all i wear now in memory of my father. i can take a pic but it is just a plain stock stainless grey dial sub. you have all seen them.

on the other hand(i have been accused of being strange here) i collect technomarines and baby-g's. not as serious timepieces but just because they are cute.

music_man

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #1,030 of 14,276
you know this is a pretty diverse thread. some folks are lamenting over $100 fashion watches and others are talking iwc and patek lol.

see i am different than most people. i can have a high end winder in the drawer and wear a baby-g to a black tie dinner. i don't care what other people think. i do what makes me happy. there is absolutely nothing wrong with fashion watches.

also, stuff like auto seikos,swiss military and poljot can aproach some of the best quality watches. i guess i am just not a snob. i think i fine watch can have a battery or a 7750.

now before someone calls me on my previous post, i said "i have collected fine quality watches". that does not mean i am afraid to be seen wearing a $50 one!

so, then why did i not collect modern rolex as i stated? because those are expensive watches and have no real collectors value. they are just 'bling-bling'. with $500 and less watches i wear them and could care less what their value is.

like i said there are very nice watches one could be proud to have for a lifetime with a 7750 and a sapphire crystal,screw down crown and all the right stuff. if anyone wants to know i will be happy to point you in the right direction.

however, i am not personally a fan of invicta or that other hsn brand(the name evades me at the moment). i think you could get a real swiss watch for $500, if not from one of the big houses.

music_man

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #1,031 of 14,276
Went to local watch stores today. I ended up getting Tissot watch. I was too excited to take pics so didnt even whipe off my finger prints and drool off it.
P1010870.jpg

P1010872.jpg

P1010874.jpg

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #1,033 of 14,276
The new addition to the family, not sure how good it will be, but it looks gorgeous, I love it, and for that price, what the heck???

The Invicta was returned, too much bling bling after a few days of use and the gold part is really soft, if you hit it, almost with anything it get easily damaged...

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #1,034 of 14,276
0001.jpg

making its way across the ocean as of this moment. i have a gold oris with brown straps for brown shoes day... this will be for black shoes day
smily_headphones1.gif
.. both faces are very, very similar in simplicity

fullsize1.jpg

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #1,035 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Went to local watch stores today. I ended up getting Tissot watch. I was too excited to take pics so didnt even whipe off my finger prints and drool off it.

Thanks for the pic, I have a similar one on the way, only it's not titanium and has numbers at 12 and 6.
smily_headphones1.gif

My personal rule-of-thumb is, if it's interesting, and if I like it, then it goes on my list. For not being snobbish, that sure was a snobbish comment against Invicta and anything not Swiss, so I'll disagree with that blanket comment.

As for Orient not being Swiss, well at least they make their own movements, which at that price bracket is pretty interesting, and which even the cheap Orient has run circles around the 8926, and the Orient star is just in a completely different class for quality.

So I think blanket statements like that are kinda snobbish. It's safe to say that if someone is looking at say, a HK Sandoz, or an Orient Star, that perhaps they know what they're looking for. That they know the difference between Swiss and Swiss made, and that isn't the only criteria. After all, by that comparison that makes Swatch better. Nothing against Swatch, but I think you go elsewhere if you want a nice inexpensive automatic.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back