Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 3, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #1,051 of 14,276
The three I wear most often:

watchesbj2.jpg

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #1,052 of 14,276
So went shopping and got a more modest priced, but a lot more solid Pulsar:

44254.jpg

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #1,053 of 14,276
I've got a 15 year old Tag Heur which is still going strong but needs a new band which I can never seem to get around to ordering. Because of this, for the last 2 years I've been wearing a plain basic Tissot which has really impressed me with it's aesthetics and build quality vs. cost value. Last week I either lost or misplaced the Tissot and since I've been so happy with it, I just ordered this Tissot Chronograph from a NY e-tailer for an incredibly attractive $357.00. Now I just have to learn how to use all those buttons. My previous Tissot had the exact same case styling and band, (which were very solid, heavy, and durable ... even moreso than my Tag) but wasn't a chronograph. One of the things I like about this design are the metal "pillars" on each side of the bezel which protect it from being hit or snagged on something.

tissot.jpg

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #1,054 of 14,276
ive got a seiko chronograph i've had for over 6 years. Before that I wore two different Omega Constellations that I inherited from my father, but I decided that using that as an everyday watch as a college student was asking for trouble so i've got em put away. Now they are both in need of some maintenance (each one is 20+ years old now) and I'm too cheap to get em fixed, lol. Dunno what my next watch will be, but I am sorta tired of the Seiko.

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #1,055 of 14,276
cfull, you must service those omegas promptly.

mechanical movements cannot sit in a seized position when the lubrication has gone dry and dirt is present. it will be permanently damaged if you put off the service visit. also, those should be in a upright winder at all times of extended non usage.

i used to collect old high end watches. now i like quartz. some say my taste went down hill. i just say it changed. when you have many mechanical watches sitting service becomes an issue.

music_man

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #1,056 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man

mechanical movements cannot sit in a seized position when the lubrication has gone dry and dirt is present. it will be permanently damaged if you put off the service visit. also, those should be in a upright winder at all times of extended non usage.

i used to collect old high end watches. now i like quartz. some say my taste went down hill. i just say it changed. when you have many mechanical watches sitting service becomes an issue.

music_man

But quartz are also mechanical watches, unless digital....and they require maintenance as well, of course in a 30.00 watch you just dispose it and get a new, but if you have an expensive quartz movement, the same would happen....

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #1,057 of 14,276
my high end quartz watches like concorde etc. get maintenance when they get a battery which is minimal in labor and cost. automatics and winders require annual maintenance which is more involved.

quartz can sit for years seized as long as a dead battery does not remain in place. quartz does not require to be in a winder or upright and can endure moderate shock. autos and winders are only desirable as collection pieces.
quartz have them beat for practicality. cheap quartz are actually the ones that have issues with sitting seized since they usually have all plastic motor parts.

music_man

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #1,058 of 14,276
Quote:

autos and winders are only desirable as collection pieces.
quartz have them beat for practicality. cheap quartz are actually the ones that have issues with sitting seized since they usually have all plastic motor parts.

music_man

I agree 100% on those two assertions, even the cheap ones are pretty darn good sometimes, I recently got a Pulsar (Seiko) and had for some time a Wenger (Swiss Army) and an SQR (Movado) and all of them beat any of the automatics I have seen and know off in my life in accuracy....even a few Rolex, from some of my family members that had the cash to own them, which accuracy is not that great sometimes...as a collectable pieces they are OK, but for practical use, forget about it....

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #1,059 of 14,276
Quote:

music_man

Yikes, well, I am probably screwed, then. Those things have been sitting for about 5 years now. I had no idea. Even if I did, they'd still have just sat there because 5 years ago I didnt have the $$$ to fix 'em as I was in college (A watch repair place told me I was looking at 400 bucks or so for maintenance/repair). Even if these watches never work again, they are worth more to me as a memento of my father than as collection pieces. Hopefully they can still be salvaged, though.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #1,061 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I agree 100% on those two assertions, even the cheap ones are pretty darn good sometimes, I recently got a Pulsar (Seiko) and had for some time a Wenger (Swiss Army) and an SQR (Movado) and all of them beat any of the automatics I have seen and know off in my life in accuracy....even a few Rolex, from some of my family members that had the cash to own them, which accuracy is not that great sometimes...as a collectable pieces they are OK, but for practical use, forget about it....

My purple monster Orient has stopped for the time being (it gets wrist time about once a week or so, horrors of horror, and it's not broken yet.
wink.gif
).

That one won't go down in history as the most accurate auto, but it's still better than my husband's POS Invicta (called POS because it's a minute off by the end of the day, and it came from Invicta like this). Now the Tissot and Orient Star are neck and neck. I set them both a month ago, based off the US atomic time server, and they've each fallen off by a second or two.

Yes, that's sooooo horrible. How can I ever manage to tell the time with that kind of accuracy? And I spent so much money as well. $179 for each. $70 for the Orient.
wink.gif

I have a single watch winder that rotates one or the other when not in use.

It's just not as bad as the quartz fanboys make it out to be. I'm not really a fan of one or the other. I just generally like anything I find interesting.

But yes, I get the irony of checking accuracy when not near a computer by using the Casio Baby-G.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #1,062 of 14,276
adriatikfan, do not try to remove that bracelet. bring it to a watchmaker or jewler. that is not a $50 watch and at the very least you are nearly guarenteed to scratch it if you do not know how to do it. i don't practice doctor on stuff i care about.

plainsong, i happen to love baby g. like i said much earlier i want to please my self and no one else. to me a baby g can be just as cool as a patek. call me crazy.

music_man

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #1,063 of 14,276
Quote:

adriatikfan, do not try to remove that bracelet. bring it to a watchmaker or jewler. that is not a $50 watch and at the very least you are nearly guarenteed to scratch it if you do not know how to do it. i don't practice doctor on stuff i care about.

plainsong, i happen to love baby g. like i said much earlier i want to please my self and no one else. to me a baby g can be just as cool as a patek. call me crazy.

music_man

It's not crazy at all. I got my husband a cool Casio g-shock, all black metal band and huge watch face, ani-digi, very sexy, and I finally got myself that chrono I've been wanting. Of course it'd have to be Casio that will make one for a woman's wrist. Also ani-digi. I'll have pics up of the new editions (including a collector's swatch I got on the cheap, Swatch Gold Medal) as soon as they all arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #1,064 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriatikfan
Hi - does anyone have experience of replacing the standard bracelet on a modern Omega seamaster with a leather strap etc.,

Defintely have a professional do it. They have the right tools to do the job without damaging the watch.

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #1,065 of 14,276
Thanks for your comments - I guess my original post was ambiguous. What I meant to ask was whether anyone had experience of getting the sbracelt changed.

The reason being - I like the watch but not the bracelet - I would prefer a leather strap. Is the bracelet fitted to the watch in such a way that a leather strap would look odd or would not even fit?

I think that makes sense now.

Once again, many thanks

Best Wishes
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back