Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 18, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #871 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Yes for sure. The actual parts/production cost of a Rolex is a tiny fraction of their price. The movement and the case of a Submariner hasn't changed in years maybe even decades, but the price keeps jumping every few years (way ahead of inflation). It ceases to be about the cost of production, and all about maintaining the image of exclusivity. For me, Rolex watches are actually poor value relative to some other brands.

but this is why rolexes hold their resale value. if you buy a rolex today for 6000 dollars 15 years from now you probably can get most of your money back cause new rolexes then will be 12,000 or something like that....so it kinda feeds on itself.

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #872 of 14,275
I received a few pocket watches from my grandmother that are supposed to be "rare".

The watches are from Zodiac Locle & Geneve and Etuni Watch Co.

My grandmother recieved these watches from my great-grandfather. I know abosolutely nothing about antique pocket watches so any information, even the obvious, will be helpful.

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #873 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
but this is why rolexes hold their resale value. if you buy a rolex today for 6000 dollars 15 years from now you probably can get most of your money back cause new rolexes then will be 12,000 or something like that....so it kinda feeds on itself.

why would you invest in a rolex, hold it for 15 years and sell it though?

Watches shouldn't be thought of as investments... I tend to think after 15 years i'd be fond of it and wnt to keep it (or give it to my son one day).

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #874 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
I received a few pocket watches from my grandmother that are supposed to be "rare".

The watches are from Zodiac Locle & Geneve and Etuni Watch Co.

My grandmother recieved these watches from my great-grandfather. I know abosolutely nothing about antique pocket watches so any information, even the obvious, will be helpful.

www.timezone.com those guys know alot about watches, ask them in the vintage section of the forum.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #875 of 14,275
I got this for Christmas today
biggrin.gif

jomashop_1875_28163037

Its a nice durable sporty watch i really like it!

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #876 of 14,275
P950390.jpg

Marc...if you ever need servicing on that Tag, you know the address of Aaron's Watch Repair
icon10.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #877 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
why would you invest in a rolex, hold it for 15 years and sell it though?

Watches shouldn't be thought of as investments... I tend to think after 15 years i'd be fond of it and wnt to keep it (or give it to my son one day).

not that i would want to sell it but things happen in people's lives. think about all the stuff you own and how in 15 years you could get nothing for it. i am just saying that to rolex's credit in 15 years you could still get some money for the watch unlike most watches or items. just another plus in the rolex column for the people who think that they are overpaying for just the name...but it is the name that keeps the value.

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #879 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
My AP is worth more then the day I got it
icon10.gif

My Sinn automatic chronograph too - I got it as a present for myself for ~ 500 DM new, when I got 18 years old in 1987, and it had reached 1500 Euro, when the last units of that model were sold ~ 2003/2004. One could see that as an investment, yes - on the other hand, complete service for the watch today is practically as expensive as the whole watch was, when I bought it... *sigh*
rolleyes.gif
In addition, both my Seiko Kinetic and my Casio Oceanus WaveCeptor I prefer nowadays keep time much more precisely and also won't need rewinding when not being worn over the weekend due to reserve problems... And both look nice, too. So I guess, for me, mechanical automatic watches are simply outdated.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #881 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Marc...if you ever need servicing on that Tag, you know the address of Aaron's Watch Repair

Heh,

actually one of these days i wouldn't mind, the clasp doesn't close on this one right either ; ).

Thanks dood.

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #883 of 14,275
I just pulled the trigger on this little beauty.

B000BPAIXS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I was going to get an ESQ, as they're on clearance, but even with my $50 gift certificate, I didn't feel like spending $150 on a watch just yet. This suits my purposes marvelously, and is quite nice looking to boot. Besides, solar powered *and* atomic? C'mon, you can't beat that
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #884 of 14,275
Always WANTED to read up on this thread, never did.....

I am not a jewelry wearer, except my wedding ring and my watch. Here's my baby (a Rado Sintra Multi):

Rado_Sintra_Multi.jpg

I also own a Noblia (high end Citizen) that my wife got as an engagement gift. Don't like the manual day number, and switching it every other month. But it's a great piece, and has lots of sentimental value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back