Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 18, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #841 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
says who? Tag isn't an established maker?

Huere was a very established watch maker for a number of years, they have just as much history as omega and rolex, a history of over a 100 years if you care to go browse their site... They've been making automatic watches for a very long time.

I have a 6000 automatic chronometer, i also have a 1567 rolex GMT Master.
I also have a 6000 kirium quartz. The 6000 keeps much better time then the roley, it's also about 26 years newer...
The 6000 has a very smooth and accurate movement which sweeps comapred to the quartz which jumps by the second. The watch can last 3 days unworn just the same as when i bought it over 5 years ago. It's been very reliable, and hasn't even had the movement serviced yet. The watch is also a certified chronometer.That means it's thoroughly tested and certified time piece by the swiss time officals. It's tested the same as rolexes, and omegas and has similar tolerance capacity. Tag does not make any automatics that aren't chronometers. The automatics are never as accurate as a quartz which has been noted above, yet you need to remember the swiss automatic movements are amongst the best there is in the world. Rolex in general is more exclusive because they cost a bit more money. Tag Huere is a great value and deal similar to omega when compared to Rolex watches of similar variety... Although your friend might collect watches, i doubt he would go and say tag isn't an established watch maker.

hello,
i am glad that you are happy with your tag purchase. yes, i tag has a history of making watches but if you peruse a watch mag like watch times etc...or ask collectors the newer generation tags(not the old pre merger heuers) are not collectible or desirable as the omegas or rolexes or breitlings. their resale values do not hold as well...tags are a great watch for the masses at the malls that want a " nice fancy watch" but are not in the same league...i know the tag fanboys will be outraged but why? ask people in the business...no one puts tag in the same company as omega,breitling,rolex...that is just a fact. anyways, enjoy your tags. so when i referred to established maker i was referring to the top echelon and did not mean to imply tag was a new company or had no history..it is a great company just not in the same league as those mentioned above...go into a nice watch store and ask.(NOT IN THE MALL)

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #842 of 14,283
You can buy an omega or rolex in the mall just the same (at torneau).

Most newer omegas and rolex's arent' exactly collectors items aither, they have not accrued any value in recent years. I know and do read alot about wrist watches, i found that comment kind of condascending. I have worn and held in my hands many exotic watches, i know alot about wrist watches and I shouldn't need to validate my credentials to have an opinion here.

Tag merged back in the early 80's/late 70's i believe. The original huere's are just as collectable as a vintage rolex. Your wrong to assume the build quality on rolex is any better then that of a tag. You are also wrong to assume the movements aren't as sophisticated.

It isn't a fact they are inferior to rolex, that's just the idea the same guys who shop in malls assume because of the mere price tag on one watch vs another. Are you suggesting the resale value is indicative of the quality of the movement? It seems all you have done is taken a survey of what your friends wear, and browsed a few magazines in order to base your opinions. I wouldn't ever form an opinion after i asked a salesman in a "fine watch store" what he thinks is better. These guys aren't experts, they are salesman and it's their job to "sell" you something.

You will rarely if ever see a watch maker or jeweler dissing tag, it's a well establish and top tiere brand worn by many athletes and professionals around the world. It's not a fashion item, not much more so then any rolex. People who collect rare watches are going to diss tag because they aren't as exotic and easily found. Functionally, they are comparable to a rolex. Backup your claims they are inferior.

p.s

None of these watches are actually top tiere when compared to a patek, or an audemars, which cost nearly double what msot rolexs cost anyday. If you want to call the tag inferior to an audemar well i won't argue... otherwise you are basing opinions on what you've read and heard by snobby watch collectors rather then first hand experience which is far more valuable.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #843 of 14,283
The more I read about watches the more I am confused. Obviously, I would never buy an audemars piguet, patek, etc because I think they are meant for an elite group of people who makes a crazy amount of money. But I would like a nice watch that keeps accurate time. Right now, I am using a Movado chronograph, my other watch is an ESQ which is basically the same company. I feel both keeps accurate time. I use www.time.gov to keep track of the seconds, and it is pretty accurate. My question is, what other companies that are reliable, accurate, and friendly in service? Costomer service is very important to me =D So far 1911 seems to favor Rolex, Breitling, and Cartier; but I think their style are too old. I'm kinda looking for something that's young, like Bueme & Mercier? But I've heard Bueme & Mercier isn't reliable... I'm so confused
confused.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #844 of 14,283
I mean you purchase a tag and it has a 3 year warranty parts and labor. Parts aren't going to cost as much as rolex, and rolex doesn't have the most famous service in the world. They are to be untrusted with any vintage watch, i'd sooner go to a great watchmaker who knows their stuff... Buying a rolex is like buying a rolls. You are going to make a fortune for anything, that's why so many people knock off rolex parts on the black market. Their parts are a flatout ripoff for genuine rolex stuff, and often the quality isn't any more impressive then a great aftermarket item.

Look at an omega speed master. I'd even say look at a used one, that's going to be my next watch. My whole point of those 2 messages is that his bias towards tag is totally unfounded. It's a consumer's job to buy a product and read about their quality from reliable sources. I'm telling you right now i've owned one for 5 years, if you wanna let 1911 steer you away, that's your buisness. I wouldn't tell you i prefer either watch, i love the rolex, yet if i wanted a value i'd chose a tag because the rolex is a great watch but costs easily 2 to 3 times the price.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #846 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Here's my 1982 GMT-Master 16750, which was made just after I was born
biggrin.gif

GMT02.jpg

I've owned everything from several IWCs, to Blancpains, JLC, Zenith, OMEGA, and half many Rolex sports models like the 5513, Submariner Date, GMT II, etc.

thanks for reminding me, mine is a 16750 also. Bueaitful GMT man. I took off the original oyster bracelet on mine, i use an aftermarket oyster and a g10 nato.

What's your personal take on tags build quality?

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #847 of 14,283
I would probably stay stay with quartz movement for now. Automatic watches will cost too much if I want them to be as percise was quartz, which is probably impossible. I don't know why I want an automatic, besides the fact that I think they just look so darn cool.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #848 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Here's my 1982 GMT-Master 16750, which was made just after I was born
biggrin.gif

I've owned everything from several IWCs, to Blancpains, JLC, Zenith, OMEGA, and half many Rolex sports models like the 5513, Submariner Date, GMT II, etc.

Do you happen to have pictures of your Zenith? I would like to see them. I think Zenith makes so cool looking watches, especially their turbillion series. Hook us up with some pictures
icon10.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #849 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
says who? Tag isn't an established maker?

The reason TAG's have taken a severe beating in reputation in recent years is because of their lack of "manufacture" status. In that regard, TAG was almost viewed as a jewellery class brand instead of a fine timepiece. Basically just a status class brand among young people. (say like wearing Polo RL clothes in the eighties)

In my Kirium, and my 4000, have nearly off-the-shelf ETA movements, slapped into a decent quality case, with a plastic movement spacer ring no less....a far cry from the custom movements in the Heuer age. That's why for a long time, TAG never sold any watches with a exhibition back, as there is nothing unique about the movement, it is the same movement that one could find in much cheaper watches. In that regard, TAG's were considered vastly overpriced for what they offer, basically fancy cases with a generic movement. For a bit more money, you could at least buy watch from another mass market maker like Omega which takes their time to finish the movement properly. Even the base Omega movements were rhodium plated and some basic finishing is done to it. Rolex has always been a manufacture and their 31xx movements have been well proven and well regarded, and one of the finest workhorse movements around with everything made in-house. Omega has been incorporating the co-axial escapement and is constantly refining their ETA based movements, which makes them unique/special.

Nowadays, TAG is getting its reputation back with incorporation of the Zenith class movement such as their Calibre 36, and is starting to take some time to finish/customize their movements nowadays. But the reputation of modern class TAG's still does not have the collectability of the average Omega watch even.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #850 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
I would probably stay stay with quartz movement for now. Automatic watches will cost too much if I want them to be as percise was quartz, which is probably impossible. I don't know why I want an automatic, besides the fact that I think they just look so darn cool.

are you going to wear it everyday?

If not, having a quartz is conveniant... I usually need to wind my automatics up, i don't have a watch winder and well my 2 automatics becoming sometimes annoying to wind so i go for the kirium quartz when im lazy.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #851 of 14,283
Re: TAG Heuer,

in terms of dials, movements, and overall case finish, they are generally lower quality than OMEGA and Rolex and are definitely no in the league of IWC or JLC.

It's noteworthy that most TAGs are quartz (a blasphemous word to most watch collectors), and pretty much everything else is a mildly decorated ETA that is not on the same level as IWC's use of ETA movements.

TAGs, IMO, are not much better than brands like Tissot, which are cheaper and just as good (IMO only, of course).

I also don't really like modern Rolex watches except the Daytona --and even in that case, I like it only for its new Rolex movement. The best of Rolex, IMO, is from the late '60s to early '80s era, and some of the vintage military Submariners like the Bond or the 5507 are simply stunning!

5517milsub.jpg

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #852 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The reason TAG's have taken a severe beating in reputation in recent years is because of their lack of "manufacture" status. In that regard, TAG was almost viewed as a jewellery class brand instead of a fine timepiece.

In my Kirium, and my 4000, have nearly off-the-shelf ETA movements, slapped into a decent quality case, with a plastic movement spacer ring no less....a far cry from the custom movements in the Heuer age. That's why for a long time, TAG never sold any watches with a exhibition back, as there is nothing about the movement to marvel at inside the watch. In that regard, TAG's were considered vastly overpriced for what they offer, basically fancy cases with a generic movement. For a bit more money, you could at least buy watch from another mass market maker like Omega which takes their time to finish the movement properly. Even the base Omega movements were rhodium plated and some basic finishing is done to it. Rolex has always been a manufacture and their 31xx movements have been well proven and well regarded, and one of the finest workhorse movements around with everything made in-house. Omega has been incorporating the co-axial escapement and is constantly refining their ETA based movements, which makes them unique/special.

Nowadays, TAG is getting its reputation back with incorporation of the Zenith class movement such as their Calibre 36, and is starting to take some time to finish/customize their movements nowadays. But the reputation of modern class TAG's still does not have the collectability of the average Omega watch even.

I haven't opened up my kirium or 6000. All i can tell you is since i bought it (4 years ago) it's running on the same battery and keeps perfect time. I haven't even had to adjust the time other then to account for time zones...

Yea the kirium isn't as nice as my 6000. I have no idea what the movement looks like inside. I can tell you though that compared to my older rolex the watch is just really nice. The rolex stands the test of time no doubt, and if i get asked htis question in another 10 years who knows...

I totally see what your saying, i know tag might not have the same enthusiasm amongst big time watch collectors, but i'm saying it's a great value, and who cares about collectability.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #853 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Do you happen to have pictures of your Zenith? I would like to see them. I think Zenith makes so cool looking watches, especially their turbillion series. Hook us up with some pictures
icon10.gif

I'm gonna dig through my archives for the one and only Zenith that I had, which was a simple gold Date model with Reserve indicator. It was sweet, but I generally don't like to wear gold models.

I'm gonna get a NATO and a matte kevlar band for my GMT.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #854 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I totally see what your saying, i know tag might not have the same enthusiasm amongst big time watch collectors, but i'm saying it's a great value, and who cares about collectability.

As long as you find the watch to be what it's worth to you, then it hardly matters what some snobby watch collectors think
smily_headphones1.gif
I really like the Monaco "Sixty-Nine" Chronograph that's like an electronic JLC Reverso Duo.

Timezone.com has some very nice members, but quite a few of them are the most imperious and arrogant jerks on the planet.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #855 of 14,283
Watch fanatics don't generally collect quartz watches, it's like arguing which is the best streetstyle headphone, nobody really cares. On timezone.com, you won't really find much discussion on TAG watches, because they are not on the radar scope of most collectors (except genuine Heuers). The above poster made a good point about this: since TAG sells a lot of quartz watches, their reputation as a serious watchmaker is diminished. The company TAG Heuer has become almost a fashion brand....heavily relying on marketing and a superficial connection with the classic Heuer name to sell watches.

TAG makes a good quality product and if you like it, you should buy it, you shouldn't care what other people think. My Kirium is one superbly made watch and looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back