Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 17, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #827 of 14,296
This isn't good, after 12 hours its a full 20 seconds slow.
frown.gif

I did take it off when I went to sleep, but it was only 7 hours. The power reserve is suppose to be 50.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #828 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
This isn't good, after 12 hours its a full 20 seconds slow.
frown.gif

I did take it off when I went to sleep, but it was only 7 hours. The power reserve is suppose to be 50.

Ooh that sucks, are all automatic watches a little fast or slow? If so then why are so many people into automatic watches, couldn't they just stick with quartz movements?

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #829 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Ooh that sucks, are all automatic watches a little fast or slow? If so then why are so many people into automatic watches, couldn't they just stick with quartz movements?

i think it depends. i have had my omega seamaster pro automatic for 9 years and it is very accurate. i only need to adjust it once a year and then for 1-2 minutes. but i wear mine everyday. i have friends though who didnt wear theirs everyday and have had their watch serviced 2-3 times in the 9 years. i think this is an important part of owning an automatic watch. i bought a automatic watch winder for the times when i cant wear it. my wife's new rolex keep good time also and i noticed the movement is a little smoother than the omega as i believe the movement has 4-5 more jewels( not sure if this is the reaason why the movement seems smoother). even if the watches were not so accurate it is fun to have a automatic watch as it ties into history and the craftmanship. although i particularly would not want a watch you had to manually wind(?omega speedmaster?)

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #830 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Even though I love the Rolex/Omega and similar watches my favorite is The Origianl by Rado, you cant scratch the dial nor the case and it is an automatic:

To each their own I guess, but IMO that thing is ugly.

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #831 of 14,296
Yeah, i'm not too fond of Rado either, but they do have a big fan bass because of their stratch resistant ceramic band. 1911, do you know anything about Tag Huer automatic? I was thinking of saving up to their Link series since it was recommeded by a watch technican. I wonder if it could keep good time.

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #832 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Can anyone recommend a few good Tissot watches in the price range of say $200-$300? I'm pretty interested in the brand

Would this one be a good choice?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846

For this money I would get a Seiko Kinetic, and it will last for life with no bateries to replace ever....they have a huge variety of them, and mostly inside that price range....

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #835 of 14,296
Quote:

yep, they are. here's a fact - that 5-figure automatic watch will never be as accurate as the digital/quartz watch you get free with 2gallons of engine oil.
eek.gif

i was going to write a long reply on why automatic vs quartz, but i think i'll just direct you here: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches...#whymechanical
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #836 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
To each their own I guess, but IMO that thing is ugly.

Why be normal? Actually I like it because when I worked in the field (construction) there was no way I would take my Rolex. The Rado can not be beat, after 5 yeas of hard work nota single scratch on it. The crystal is faceted so if you run your fingers on it it feels like a jewel.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #837 of 14,296
Dec 18, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #838 of 14,296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
For this money I would get a Seiko Kinetic, and it will last for life with no bateries to replace ever....they have a huge variety of them, and mostly inside that price range....

Yep... picked one up in a pawn shop (with a 1966 Fender Duo Sonic) for $75... add a $30 sharkskin band (eBay), and I'm good to go. Then again, i've always had a soft spot for the Seiko divers watches, just couldn't do the rubber strap.

seiko2.jpg

seiko3.jpg

My black face Rolex DateJust was perpetually off about 5 minutes a month (purchased new from an authorized Rolex dealer, and observed over 11 years), which was just totally annoying..

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #839 of 14,296
Quote:

Yeah, i'm not too fond of Rado either, but they do have a big fan bass because of their stratch resistant ceramic band. 1911, do you know anything about Tag Huer automatic? I was thinking of saving up to their Link series since it was recommeded by a watch technican. I wonder if it could keep good time.

rx7,
i have never owned a tag automatic because i heard from my friend who is a watch afionado that their movements were not as good as omega or rolex. i think i tend to agree just by the simple fact that i rarely see tag automatics..people have their quartz movements but not automatics. i would say save that money and get a automatic from a more established maker imho.

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #840 of 14,296
says who? Tag isn't an established maker?

Huere was a very established watch maker for a number of years, they have just as much history as omega and rolex, a history of over a 100 years if you care to go browse their site... They've been making automatic watches for a very long time.

I have a 6000 automatic chronometer, i also have a 1567 rolex GMT Master.
I also have a 6000 kirium quartz. The 6000 keeps much better time then the roley, it's also about 26 years newer...
The 6000 has a very smooth and accurate movement which sweeps comapred to the quartz which jumps by the second. The watch can last 3 days unworn just the same as when i bought it over 5 years ago. It's been very reliable, and hasn't even had the movement serviced yet. The watch is also a certified chronometer.That means it's thoroughly tested and certified time piece by the swiss time officals. It's tested the same as rolexes, and omegas and has similar tolerance capacity. Tag does not make any automatics that aren't chronometers. The automatics are never as accurate as a quartz which has been noted above, yet you need to remember the swiss automatic movements are amongst the best there is in the world. Rolex in general is more exclusive because they cost a bit more money. Tag Huere is a great value and deal similar to omega when compared to Rolex watches of similar variety... Although your friend might collect watches, i doubt he would go and say tag isn't an established watch maker. They also happen to make arguably the best bracelets and deployment clasps. Rolex hasn't changed their designs in years, you will know an authentic rolex when you can feel how lousy their clasps are (especially when you drop 8 grand on a watch you can still get that luxury).

If your interested in some of Tag's newer automatic movements, just go and checkout the automatic monacos belt driven system, it's the only of it's kind and it's pretty awesome.

gadgets_tag145x145.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back