Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #8,431 of 14,276
Very nice Longines, and great pics, Peti. I like the rectangular look. G Shock sells some rectangular shaped watches, but I guess I'm a little concerned that no one will know it's a G Shock. Kind of like when companies like Louis Vuitton release bags that are multi colored or have a look that is substantially different than their basic brown design.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8,432 of 14,276
Yeah, I know what you mean! When I set out to buy a wristwatch my first thought was that it must be rectangular and s steel. I was also contemplating some japanese brands but finally settled with Longines. How's your G shock has been functioning? Based on the pics you've posted they'd look way too big on my 7 inches wrist...

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #8,433 of 14,276
Very nice Longines, and great pics, @Peti. I like the rectangular look. G Shock sells some rectangular shaped watches, but I guess I'm a little concerned that no one will know it's a G Shock. Kind of like when companies like Louis Vuitton release bags that are multi colored or have a look that is substantially different than their basic brown design.

Don't be!  Buy and wear a watch because it makes you smile and forget what anyone else thinks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #8,434 of 14,276
Don't be!  Buy and wear a watch because it makes you smile and forget what anyone else thinks :bigsmile_face:

Trust me, I tried liking the rectangular G-Shocks, and didn't like them enough to pay full price for them. I usually purchase watches that I like myself, the world be darned. However, I'll ask people like my fiancé if certain watches look good on me, or I'll give her a choice - then I'll pick the one she likes the most sometimes. No harm with that. :bigsmile_face:

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #8,435 of 14,276
Yeah, I know what you mean! When I set out to buy a wristwatch my first thought was that it must be rectangular and s steel. I was also contemplating some japanese brands but finally settled with Longines. How's your G shock has been functioning? Based on the pics you've posted they'd look way too big on my 7 inches wrist...

Functioning? All 42 (currently) Gs that I own are functioning perfectly. The latest G Shock I posted, the "Captain America" watch, is their newer GDX series, which is ~10% larger than their regular sized 6900 series watches. My advice would be to go to your local department store and try different series of G Shocks on, and find out for yourself which ones feel and fit the best.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #8,436 of 14,276
Or don't bother with G-shocks in the first place. :wink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #8,437 of 14,276
Functioning? All 42 (currently) Gs that I own are functioning perfectly. The latest G Shock I posted, the "Captain America" watch, is their newer GDX series, which is ~10% larger than their regular sized 6900 series watches. My advice would be to go to your local department store and try different series of G Shocks on, and find out for yourself which ones feel and fit the best.

42, wow! I got the one I've always wanted so I'm all set right now but thanks for the advice anyway!

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #8,438 of 14,276

You can choose to purchase G Shocks, or not. The MTG series is luxury line that doesn't look like a G Shock at all. But yeah, if you don't like technically awesome products (especially the Gs that utilize BT and Multi Band 6), then you should not purchase the Gs. :bigsmile_face:

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #8,439 of 14,276

From a practical point of view G shock watches are just fine for everyday use. Certainly, there are more classy timepieces out there but most of us can't afford those (IWC, Breitling, Cartier, etc.)

I'd rather go with a G shock than any of those hyped chinese luxury imitation watches using cheap japanese or swiss movements with the title "japanese/swiss movement". And b/c most of the pople know nothing about good watches they proudly buy'em thinking it is indeed japanese/swiss made.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #8,440 of 14,276
42, wow! I got the one I've always wanted so I'm all set right now but thanks for the advice anyway!

No worries. The GDX should be fine for your wrist, but that is simply speculation on my part. If you are curious in the future, try them on and you may like it. You may prefer the smaller Baby G series as well. They currently have designs in the Baby G series that I'm upset they didn't make/update for the larger 6900 series or larger.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,442 of 14,276
Call me ignorant, but I won't wear a watch which has baby in its name :D:D

Some of the newer smaller Gs have addressed your concern and do not have "Baby G" marked anywhere on the watch, but they are smaller than the 6900 series.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #8,443 of 14,276
Heh - I was mostly kidding (note the winky smiley). But yeah, personally, I have never really liked the look of the G-shocks. I have no issue with the value they represent from a function and quality standpoint. 

For the same price, I'd rather recommend a Seiko 5 series automatic (and indeed, I own a fair number of these). I don't need my watch to be quartz or digital correct, As long as we're within a minute or two of "correct" I'm good - and I appreciate mechanical devices more than electronic ones - just personally. Which is why I also buy mostly vintage time-pieces, and would not spend the money on a new IWC/Brietling, etc. I could buy a very nice motorcyle and four or five of my usual watches for that kind of dosh, and have a lot more fun than worrying about scratching up a watch like that. 

Personally, as always. 

Wearing the 1950s Bulova again today (not a new pic)

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8,444 of 14,276
Nice Bulova! It's a shame it's been lately bought up by Citizen if I remember right. Not that there's anything wrong with japanese watches (quite the contrary!) but in my mind Bulova has always been a genuine american brand.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #8,445 of 14,276

Users who are viewing this thread

Back