Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 8, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #61 of 14,269
Speaking of Victorinox, here's my watch:

mywatch.jpg

Has endured some tests of time as you can see
biggrin.gif
, but the strap is new. I like high precision technology in general (e.g. computers, audio, cars, cameras, binoculars), watches represent just one branch in a large family of gadgets I like.

Update (July/2005): After having the second original rubber wristband of this Swiss Army watch broken out of normal tear and wear, I decided not to spend another $25 for a replacement that I know won't last two years. So I got a Casio replacement band ($5), which needed a little cutting on the ends to make it fit between the horns of the watch case. Here's the watch afterwards:
1582Swiss_Army_Watch_02.jpg

victorinox-001.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #63 of 14,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedr
Speaking of Victorinox, here's my watch:

mywatch.jpg

Has endured some tests of time as you can see
biggrin.gif
, but the strap is new. I like high precision technology in general (e.g. computers, audio, cars, cameras, binoculars), watches is just one branch in a large family of gadgets I like.

That's an honest to goodness watch and I like the 24 hour clock times adjacent to the standard time.... the "patina" gives that watch life and character and it shows that it's been used as a watch and not as a fashion accessory. IMO, the best watch that's been shown here so far.

May 8, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #64 of 14,269
What beautiful watches! As if my funds weren't spread thin enough as is!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #65 of 14,269
rsaavedr, I really like that Victorinox you've got there -- I love the simple, beefy bezel.

My two every-day watches are a Suunto X-Lander and a Rolex Submariner. I bought the Submariner when I was younger (22), and I still wear it from time to time. For practical purposes I much prefer my Suunto X-Lander. It's less flashy (although it's so big, it makes my Submariner look like a ladies watch), it's far lighter (with an aluminum case and carbon fiber back), and it's very informative (stopwatch, timer, alarm, barometer, altimeter, compass, thermometer). The X-Lander fits my personality perfectly: geeky yet rugged.
biggrin.gif

For a photo of the X-Lander, cilck here (it's the one on the bottom).

One of my local close friends (also a Head-Fi'er) has a very impressive watch collection. If he catches this thread, maybe he'll post about some of the favorites in his collection. He seems to always be picking up fine, new watches. He just visited me recently at my office and had on a new IWC diver's watch that was rated for a depth (2000 meters) that comparatively makes my Submariner seem merely bathtub-worthy. It's called the Aquatimer. I think it's a beautiful watch, for its simplicity, and also because it isn't flashy.

May 8, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #66 of 14,269
Not only is my watch ancient, my camera is too as you can see from this pic
eek.gif

watch.jpg

On the left is my trusty Seiko SQ100 which I've had since 1981 and on the right is my Grandfathers watch (minus strap) which he was presented with after serving 45 years on the railway.

They're not fancy watches but they have a good habit of telling the correct time which suits me :)

The one on the right is 9ct gold (smiths) and was made in England in 1969. Its original pigskin strap gave up the ghost about 4 years ago and I keep meaning to replace it but haven't seen a strap that I think will last 30 years like the original did. (cheapskate!)

I must confess that I am "team battered watch" and I detest seeing a man wearing a watch that looks as if it's just come out of it's box.... it's so false and unnatural........ a watch should reflect time and not just tell the time.

May 9, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #68 of 14,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
this one is so new i can't even find a price on it yet. But i want one

http://www.zenith-watches.com/img/4_.../big_8_1_1.jpg

Jesus Kevin,

What kind of monitor do you own, Is it 75 inches wide? That photo took 8 minutes and 31 seconds to download at my end and was the width of a football pitch......... is it necessary to post such enormous pictures of a watch?
biggrin.gif

Pinkie.

May 9, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #72 of 14,269
I am not really into watches, I just buy them when I need them.

1)Fossil Blue (AM3588)
fossil.jpg

I really like the Fossil, and it was a steal at $35. The face is actually silver, not white.

2)Acqua Indiglo (?)
indiglo.jpg

A cheap digital sports watch, but it has actually kept perfect time over four years.

3)Orient Crystal (3 star 21jewels)
orient.jpg

The tick marks and hands are gold. I got this one in Taiwan, thought it looked pretty nice. It stopped working a year or two later, and when I took it to get checked they said they couldn't replace the battery because it didn't have one, and they didn't know what made it run at all.

4)Wenger (?)

Couldn't find a picture of it, but it has help up pretty well.

Does anyone know whether there is a conenction between Wenger and Timberline?

May 9, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #74 of 14,269
Some of you are scarying me....
biggrin.gif

I'll give a free advice. If you're like me and don't realy plan to use often those truly expansive watches. I found a Ted Lapidus that could be wear by men or women... and give it as gift to my girlfriend.... you see my point....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amicalement

May 9, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #75 of 14,269
My everyday casual analog:

TI5061.jpg

And for those days when I'm feeling a bit more flashy:

mdcgift_1789_547304

And the watch that I'm afraid to wear...
mrg121-1.jpg

Have a few other G-shocks as well that act as everyday beat-em-ups. Yeah, I'm a bit of a G-shock fan. Can't imagine spending over $200 for a watch though...I'd cry if I got a single scratch on a watch costing over $200.

Someone needs to start a pen thread...I could go on all day about those.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back