Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 8, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #46 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
warning large picture
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f20137.jpg

Forgot about this one. Still brand new in the box.
Still works too. From 1981 i think. Notice the price...

edit: wow a real collectors item, who knew...
http://www.cybercurator.com/

That looks fun
biggrin.gif
I'd love to get my hands on that for a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
Have you ever tried it?

May 8, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #47 of 14,276
The IWC Da Vinci is beautiful! Why would you need any other
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
Two of my watches (the others include Vacheron Constantin, etc.):
IWC Da Vinci:
9252yg.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #48 of 14,276
I've got a 9ct gold "smiths" watch that was presented to my Grandad for 45 years service on British Rail in 1969. It's reliable, wind up type made in England... do you know anything about Smiths ipod? I'd be interested to find out a bit more about this watch. I know that the Smiths W10 was the last mechanical watch actually made in the United Kingdom for issuance to the military forces, that's all I could find out about Smiths watches.

May 8, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #49 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
I've actually got a Wenger that I've been curious about. It looks like a Victorinox ripoff, but the list price (not what I paid for it) was $150, and it claims to be Swiss made. It also looks like an established company, but I have trouble taking them seriously when they plaster "genuine Swiss Military" all over their products.

Still a nice watch though, stainless band, textured black face, looks pretty similar to the Rolex Oyster Submariner Date. Keeps time well, and is very durable (it once sat under 2 feet of snow for about 3 days, and is still perfect). Can't say the same for the band though, it's broken once, and is loosening again.

Personally, I'd love a Breitling Navitimer (I'd take any model, although the Hertiage is my favorite), but I don't have the funds to drop $3000 on a timepeice right now.

IIRC, Wenger was actually established before Victorinox, where both companies today are selling very well-made products all made in Switzerland. Wenger is a small company compared to Victorinox because they are not producing as many things like Victorinox does, and Wenger knives especially aren't sold in many locations at all - e.g. about 9/10 shops selling knives in Switzerland only sell Victorinox. Their Genuine Swiss military was plastered on many of Wenger's products because they were the first company selling to the army - but Victorinox took over, and now Wenger needs to put this army stuff on it not to mislead customers and make them think it is a "Victorinox rip-off". If anything, Victorinox was inspired by Wenger.
-----------

Me ?... Will never be able to pay for a very expensive watch without regretting it afterwards, I'm sure. So a Citizen Sapphire WR100 Marine for me
icon10.gif

May 8, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
I had the Breitling Cosmonaute about 3 years back but couldn't get used to the 24 hour face:

Cosmonaute.gif

wink.gif

Funny thing about it is that you can be early or late at the same time...
biggrin.gif

Initial question: not for me, they end up like my umbrellas....
frown.gif

Amicalement

May 8, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #51 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I've got a 9ct gold "smiths" watch that was presented to my Grandad for 45 years service on British Rail in 1969. It's reliable, wind up type made in England... do you know anything about Smiths ipod? I'd be interested to find out a bit more about this watch. I know that the Smiths W10 was the last mechanical watch actually made in the United Kingdom for issuance to the military forces, that's all I could find out about Smiths watches.

Hi Pinkie, I just vaguely recall hearing about them but know nothing about them. Have you got a pic of it?

May 8, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #52 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
IIRC, Wenger was actually established before Victorinox, where both companies today are selling very well-made products all made in Switzerland. Wenger is a small company compared to Victorinox because they are not producing as many things like Victorinox does, and Wenger knives especially aren't sold in many locations at all - e.g. about 9/10 shops selling knives in Switzerland only sell Victorinox. Their Genuine Swiss military was plastered on many of Wenger's products because they were the first company selling to the army - but Victorinox took over, and now Wenger needs to put this army stuff on it not to mislead customers and make them think it is a "Victorinox rip-off". If anything, Victorinox was inspired by Wenger.

Ah, that's good to hear. I always thought that it was far too nice to be a ripoff.

May 8, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #53 of 14,276
Actually, I'm not sure when Wenger was founded (I can look it up), but I'm pretty sure it was actually Victorinox who first delivered knives to the Swiss Army, a couple of years before Wenger first did.

Neither is a rip-off of the other. Both companies are official providers of knives to the Swiss Army, and are from different cantons of Switzerland -- chosen that way to prevent the appearance of favoritism for either the French- or German-speaking sides (Wenger being in Delémont, and Victorinox in Ibach-Schwyz).

EDIT: Wenger was founded in 1893, and Victorinox in 1884.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
-----------

Me ?... Will never be able to pay for a very expensive watch without regretting it afterwards, I'm sure. So a Citizen Sapphire WR100 Marine for me
icon10.gif

May 8, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Neither is a rip-off of the other. Both companies are official providers of knives to the Swiss Army, and are from different cantons of Switzerland --

Don't they use guns like any normal army?

May 8, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #55 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Don't they use guns like any normal army?

Nope, they're highly trained at using the corkscrew as a handheld bayonet
biggrin.gif

I've heard them on the parade square:

Sergeant:

atteeeenshun!!

...stomping of feet..

kniiiives ut!!

orderly retrieval of knives from pockets...

corkscreeews out!

..clicking of blades, trying to find the right ruddy one...looking side to side..questioningly..then sudden glee...5 mins later...

corksceeeews forward!!

..corkscews are thrust forward hastily in unison.....men look angry...

chaaaaarge!!!

..guess...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #56 of 14,276
May 8, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #57 of 14,276
Quote:

Every one knows those knives are for the swiss navy...

Here are a couple more antiques, especially the one in the middle
(warning big)

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f20139.jpg
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f20140.jpg

If you are going to show a picture of an IWC Davinci at least show
one that is not 3 years old...

mmmm...pocket watches are grand, aren't they? I don't have any but I always love to fiddle with them whenever I get the chance.

May 8, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #58 of 14,276
Quote:

Every one knows those knives are for the swiss navy...

LOL Good one
wink.gif
gayalarm.gif

Quote:

Here are a couple more antiques, especially the one in the middle
(warning big)

A lot of us are still on 56kps Kevin, any chance you could make the pics a bit smaller? A 33 mile wide photo of a pocket watch can't really be appreciated at a resolution of 640 x 480 on a 56kps connection
wink.gif

K-Gilmore1.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #59 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Nope, they're highly trained at using the corkscrew as a handheld bayonet
biggrin.gif

I've heard them on the parade square:

Sergeant:

atteeeenshun!!

...stomping of feet..

kniiiives ut!!

orderly retrieval of knives from pockets...

corkscreeews out!

..clicking of blades, trying to find the right ruddy one...looking side to side..questioningly..then sudden glee...5 mins later...

corksceeeews forward!!

..corkscews are thrust forward hastily in unison.....men look angry...

chaaaaarge!!!

..guess...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL....... "Bend over, touch your toes and prepare for corkscrew...... Stand to attention laddie!"

May 8, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #60 of 14,276
w2.jpg

My favorite one, the Breitling Navitimer 50th

w3.jpg

This was a gift to me. The mercedes watch is battery powered and quite thin and light

w4.jpg

Bvlgari aluminum series - good sport watch, plastic strap

w5.jpg

The A. Dunhill watch- I dont know what model or series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back