Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #7,396 of 14,283
Is Grand Seiko value for money ?

I have had a few on my wrist and they are absolutely beautiful watches. The quality, fit, finish and accuracy are all first class. Worth every penny I think. I know one day I shall get one, I am looking at one of the leather strap models as the bracelet ones look too similar to my Rolex and I don't like having watches that all look the same.

The movement finish as far as I am concerned is up there with Patek levels of finish.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #7,398 of 14,283

The Beats analogy doesn't quite work I'm afraid unless they made watches of course (they may well do). They are a fashion item which Invicta isn't so buying motives are completely different. I was brought up with manners, my parents always instilled into me that there are ways to get your point across without being rude, which your original reply certainly was. Without trying to outdo you in the patronising stakes, I suggest you re-read your original reply and just think if there were a nicer way to get your 'opinion' across. And your comment above in bold? Strange considering you are the only one slagging them off?

Oh and welcome to the ignore list.

In retrospect, yes, I could have expressed that more politely. But at the same time I wish people had been more blunt with me when I started getting into watches, so that I wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I did. I was brought up to value honesty over false facades. I won't return the favor and add you to an ignore list because that strikes me as an immature way to deal with your own problems, but you are welcome to if that protects your sensibilities.

On a side note, you are aware that an analogy is a comparison in terms of a different subject matter? It wouldn't be an analogy to say X headphone maker is the Beats of headphones; saying Invicta is the Beats of watches is a proper analogy. And you're wrong about Invictas not being fashion items. You could argue that any watch is a fashion item since people can just use their cell phones, but Invictas in particular are fashion items. They do not make their own movements and are thus not a manufacture, but instead make cases for existing movements. Like many other brands out there, they focus their efforts on the fashion of their watches rather than the workings.

Is it true that their service internal is 50 years ?

They make this claim about their quartz watches (9f caliber) only. The movement is sealed so that the oils won't evaporate and dirt won't get in, and the materials and oils they have selected are designed to work unserviced for 50 years. As for the value of Grand Seikos, they do certainly make a great watch. Their products are understated and will get you no recognition from people who don't know watches, but the attention to detail and quality is at least as good as a similarly priced Swiss equivalent. Their adjustment specs are actually more stringent than the Swiss standard COSC ones, which I believe they did as a response to the Swiss banning them from COSC certification (they did this because Seiko won most of the top 10 spots in an accuracy competition a few decades back).

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #7,399 of 14,283
Actually its becuase before COSC certifications there was also the Accuracy conservatory testing,

Longines and Zenith (pre swatch and LVMH respectivly) were the biggest winners there historicly, but then come the japs and their first participation they didnt do too well, but then they came back with a vengance and took 7 out of the 10 top spots,

Then the swiss changed the rules that only swiss made can participate (not sure about that) and grand seiko developed their own certification which is stricter then COSC, they also had a economy version of the Grand Seiko watches called King Seiko, but they arent made anymore, you can get them for 500-600 bucks off ebay and they are plain awesome watches.

Many people see Seiko as cheap Asian watches... and thats a shame, They are one of the few watchmakers that make everything in house, They implement a automatic charging system that IWC developed but Seiko actually modified it for mass production, so you can get a 80 buck watch with IWC tech in it. Not to mention then while the Chronomatic group and zenith were fighting over who can get the first automatic chronograph to the market Seiko already had them in shops back in japan...

The new 4R36 movement is quite nice, it might be slower then the ETA 2824, but its usualy accurate as a 2824 standart and the lower beat means it survives longer between maintenace,

Seiko is a great brand but their strong points are in the lower end, their higher end watches sometimes feel like they are emulating stronger swiss brands like role but they have their watches,
I own a 8R28 Seiko anatna chronograph which is just amazing (but a bit oversized), and call me crazy/stupid but i rather have a MarineMaster 300M over a Rolex submariner or a Omega seamaster (and im a ex planet ocean owner).

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #7,402 of 14,283
Here's my latest. I'm finding recently that vintage pocket watches can represent an excellent value for the workmanship. The amount of hand-done artisan work that goes into the higher grades is rarely seen on modern wristwatches, and will usually cost over $10k for a basic 3-hander. This particular watch features a double sunk enamel dial with hand-painted numbers and thermally blued hands, damaskeening patterns on the movement, anglage bevels along the plates, solid gold train gears, screwed in gold chaton settings for the jewels instead of press fitting, diamond jewels for the pallet fork and high wear bearings, micrometric regulator, and polished surfaces for most of the movement. It's about 115 years old and running beautifully, a steal considering that these go for under $500 in the plated cases.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #7,403 of 14,283
Oh my goodness, that is a beautiful pocket watch. I love the quality of fit and finish on these old American fob watches and this one is immaculate, congratulations, I am green with envy!

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #7,404 of 14,283
Yes, really nice Waltham PW. And great photo's too.
Nice movement and decoration / engraving.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #7,405 of 14,283

In retrospect, yes, I could have expressed that more politely. But at the same time I wish people had been more blunt with me when I started getting into watches, so that I wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I did. I was brought up to value honesty over false facades. I won't return the favor and add you to an ignore list because that strikes me as an immature way to deal with your own problems, but you are welcome to if that protects your sensibilities.

On a side note, you are aware that an analogy is a comparison in terms of a different subject matter? It wouldn't be an analogy to say X headphone maker is the Beats of headphones; saying Invicta is the Beats of watches is a proper analogy. And you're wrong about Invictas not being fashion items. You could argue that any watch is a fashion item since people can just use their cell phones, but Invictas in particular are fashion items. They do not make their own movements and are thus not a manufacture, but instead make cases for existing movements. Like many other brands out there, they focus their efforts on the fashion of their watches rather than the workings.

Goodness graciousness I sure did not mean to cause a rift between anyone on here. Just wanted to know if the watch my wife bought me was OK, at least for $57.00! There is a lot of knowledge out here in this thread and I respect everyone's take and above all honesty, was not looking to pit wits on the subject. Like I said before I respect both you and Spuds take and also realize I did not get a Swiss movement watch of the highest caliber I was just wondering if this would be another dead watch in my top drawer in six months:-0 I'm sure if money were no object for me the WatchSnob could suggest where I might spend a considerable amount of money but mine was a fairly simple question for a thread that appreciates watches. I now realize my Invicta is along the lines of my dead battery Zeitner sitting in my top drawer and also that neither of these two watches are better than my dead battery Sector in that same drawer. She bought me a wired by Seiko a few years back and it has movement issues and resides in said drawer as well
rolleyes.gif

Guess my initial question should have been how long do you fella's think my wife's latest watch acquisition would last me
blink.gif
 And as much as mutabor does not like my TAG formula it has been to date the best watch I have ever owned! Of course if I had my druthers and my last name were Trump I'd be looking for a IWC Portuguese Yacht Club Chrono
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #7,407 of 14,283
^^ Elegant looking Eco-Drive.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7,409 of 14,283
Great video with John Mayer the musician showing some of his watch collection, He has some really lovely watches!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeu6Vj3M0EI[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back