Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #7,381 of 14,302
  question:

I hope this is not too pedestrian for this group, but I am looking for some suggestions.;  I currently have on older Casio G-Shock, solar, atomic watch that I got years ago at Target for about $70.  I like it, but always hanker for another watch, but have gotten so spoiled by the almost zero maintenance of the thing, that I end up not buying another watch.  What I'd like is something similar in terms of self-maintenance, but maybe a bit less plastic-looking.  That is, same functionality, better looking, and for less than $300US.  

Any thoughts?  

Yesterday I was at a small shop. There was a small collection of Citizen watches and I really liked this watch. There are two variations of this watch: for American market and for Asian. One guy on internet  raves that a model for Asian market is even better because:

If you look at it's twin model CA0021-53E you will find the same exact watch, except it is made with "Super Titanium" which is 5 times more durable then stainless steel.

He thinks that American version is made from ordinary Titanium not super titanium therefore it is prone to scratches. The problem about Asian version is that you have to buy it on Ebay either from Japan which is expensive or from Hong Hong which is infamous for selling fakes.   

Anyway this model looks cool in person but on pictures it's not that attractive.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #7,382 of 14,302
So,  I bought myself a Pebble watch.  While it's not zero maintenance like the Casio Solar/Atomic, it's close.  Battery rechargeable, resets time/date to phone it's tethered to via Bluetooth, and it can change watch-faces simply by changing which 'file' it displays.  It also shows notifications for sms, emails, and calls and the watchface I am using also shows the battery level on my phone, and the little weather applet.  $150 - not bad.

Now about that Samsung Smartwatch........

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7,383 of 14,302
OK my Watch-Fi brethren, the little lady bought this baby for me last Christmas and I have no idea if it's "good, Bad or for heaven's sake Ugly" Did she do good of hit the bargain bin on me
eek.gif
 The one thing I can tell you for sure, if I were a boat I could tie a rope to this baby and toss it over my side and stay put in gale force winds
blink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #7,384 of 14,302
OK my Watch-Fi brethren, the little lady bought this baby for me last Christmas and I have no idea if it's "good, Bad or for heaven's sake Ugly" Did she do good of hit the bargain bin on me:eek:  The one thing I can tell you for sure, if I were a boat I could tie a rope to this baby and toss it over my side and stay put in gale force winds:blink:

Invicta watches are bang for buck in terms of build and features, not sure how accurate they are but they make some very attractive watches.

Your Mrs is a keeper mate, frugal but classy all at once :D

Did she buy it without input from you? Kudos if so, that's a nice watch.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #7,385 of 14,302
Honest answer: Invicta is the laughingstock of the watch world. Most of the jokes circulating in watch circles have to do with Invicta. They earned that reputation by splitting their lineup between close copies of prominent brand name watches and ridiculous looking monstrosities. There have been some quality issues, and they're notorious for fabricating insane MSRP's so they can discount it and claim that you're getting a watch at 75% off retail.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that they're not quite as bad as most people say they are. Sure there are some better options, but they make some half decent budget watches, and they've done some interesting models with tourbillon or Sea-Gull chronograph movements. I'd consider a Panerai a bigger waste of money than an Invicta, since with an Invicta you're probably only out $100 or so.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #7,387 of 14,302
I'm sure Podster really appreciates your subtle reply regarding the gift from his lady
rolleyes.gif

I don't own an Inviicta but two of my friends own them and they have nothing but praise for them...

Taken with a grain of salt Spuds, I appreciate both your answers and have come away with a feeling she nor I got burned for $57.00 at Sam's Club (I believe it is where she picked it up). I appreciate that she was frugal while still getting something halfway decent looking albeit I may be the laughing stock of the watch world I don't own a Ferrari either
biggrin.gif
 Your scenario of bang for the buck works well on me as I drive my GTi for the exact same reason
wink_face.gif
 Like my meager Pen and portable audio rigs I'll never be able to keep up with the Tsujigirl's or Rudi's of this world and I'm OK with that, as Quentin Tarantino said to Antonio Banderas in "Deperado" it's 
cool.gif
 Ese!

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #7,388 of 14,302
$57 is a great price for an Inviicta but what is even better is that it was a gift from someone who cared, that for me makes the watch priceless, I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

BTW, just like here there are decent folks on watch forums and folks who feel so insecure with themselves that they can only feel good wearing a "name" brand. I have name brands and brands no one has ever heard of and love them all equally. The true watch enthusiast will just be pleased that your wearing a watch at all!

Do you know that on some of the more mature watch forums the names Rolex and Timex are afforded the same reverence simply because both have relevance. Your Inviicta is a good watch, like Spud I know a few folks with them and they swear by them, not at them, your wife has taste.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #7,389 of 14,302
$57 is a great price for an Inviicta but what is even better is that it was a gift from someone who cared, that for me makes the watch priceless, I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

BTW, just like here there are decent folks on watch forums and folks who feel so insecure with themselves that they can only feel good wearing a "name" brand. I have name brands and brands no one has ever heard of and love them all equally. The true watch enthusiast will just be pleased that your wearing a watch at all!

Do you know that on some of the more mature watch forums the names Rolex and Timex are afforded the same reverence simply because both have relevance. Your Inviicta is a good watch, like Spud I know a few folks with them and they swear by them, not at them, your wife has taste.

Thank you kind sir, she does and had been wanting to get me a new watch for a few years now so when my trusty TAG (she absolutely hated it because she always told me it was my ugly Swatch watch
eek.gif
) battery died and I failed to get it to the shop for a new battery she jumped at the chance to get me the Invicta
biggrin.gif
 I must say that I still love my TAG Formula which I bought through a jewelry store back home in Austin in 1987 for $187.50 and it has been a super piece
bigsmile_face.gif
 But as much as I love my TAG I love her more and could not disappoint her by wearing the TAG over the Invicta! 

My daily driver for 17 years straight
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7,390 of 14,302
I'm sure Podster really appreciates your subtle reply regarding the gift from his lady
rolleyes.gif

I don't own an Inviicta but two of my friends own them and they have nothing but praise for them...

I'm sorry, I assumed that when he asked an honest question he didn't want everyone to lie to his face. I'm not trying to put down his gift or pretend that all my watches are haute horology, but if he wants some real information that will help him if he wants to get another watch in the future, your comments aren't going to do him any good. To put it in terms that you might relate to better, it's as if someone came on asking if the Beats he just got are good headphones and everyone assured him that they were because they didn't want to offend him. Invicta is truly the equivalent of Beats for watches; if you don't believe me try asking on any watch forum. I don't know about you, but I go on forums to learn, not to have my ego stroked. If I was in his position, I wouldn't want someone giving me terrible advice (and I have been in his position, my first mechanical watch was an Invicta).

Podster, don't let the perceptions people have about Invicta ruin your enjoyment of the watch. But if you find yourself in the market for another watch, there are plenty of good options out there that you don't need to spend a lot of money on. Watches are one of the few items out there that can cost from $1 to millions of dollars, and I'd be happy to advise you to the best of my ability if you're interested.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #7,392 of 14,302
  Thank you kind sir, she does and had been wanting to get me a new watch for a few years now so when my trusty TAG (she absolutely hated it because she always told me it was my ugly Swatch watch
eek.gif
) battery died and I failed to get it to the shop for a new battery she jumped at the chance to get me the Invicta
biggrin.gif
 I must say that I still love my TAG Formula which I bought through a jewelry store back home in Austin in 1987 for $187.50 and it has been a super piece
bigsmile_face.gif
 But as much as I love my TAG I love her more and could not disappoint her by wearing the TAG over the Invicta! 

My daily driver for 17 years straight
tongue_smile.gif

Actually after you've displayed your TAG watch I can understand your lady's desire that you switch to another watch. 
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #7,393 of 14,302

I'm sorry, I assumed that when he asked an honest question he didn't want everyone to lie to his face. I'm not trying to put down his gift or pretend that all my watches are haute horology, but if he wants some real information that will help him if he wants to get another watch in the future, your comments aren't going to do him any good. To put it in terms that you might relate to better, it's as if someone came on asking if the Beats he just got are good headphones and everyone assured him that they were because they didn't want to offend him. Invicta is truly the equivalent of Beats for watches; if you don't believe me try asking on any watch forum. I don't know about you, but I go on forums to learn, not to have my ego stroked. If I was in his position, I wouldn't want someone giving me terrible advice (and I have been in his position, my first mechanical watch was an Invicta).

Podster, don't let the perceptions people have about Invicta ruin your enjoyment of the watch. But if you find yourself in the market for another watch, there are plenty of good options out there that you don't need to spend a lot of money on. Watches are one of the few items out there that can cost from $1 to millions of dollars, and I'd be happy to advise you to the best of my ability if you're interested.

The Beats analogy doesn't quite work I'm afraid unless they made watches of course (they may well do). They are a fashion item which Invicta isn't so buying motives are completely different. I was brought up with manners, my parents always instilled into me that there are ways to get your point across without being rude, which your original reply certainly was. Without trying to outdo you in the patronising stakes, I suggest you re-read your original reply and just think if there were a nicer way to get your 'opinion' across. And your comment above in bold? Strange considering you are the only one slagging them off?

Oh and welcome to the ignore list.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #7,394 of 14,302
Plus, Everyone knows that the monster beats of the watch world is hublot...

Theres many brands that command insane prices, Panerai is a joke, LVMH ruined Tag heuer and Zenith, The Swatch group ruined 2 historical brands like Certina and Tissot driving them in the the ground quality wise,

Other brands manage to provide amazing value for the prices they command, Seiko, Hamilton, Victorinox,  Many small butique manufacturers like Christopher ward or Magrette.

And theres brands Like Omega or Rolex which will always be worth their salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back