Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 29, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #7,368 of 14,276
I'm aware of the traditions but "normal" or standards don't work for everyone. Best to use your own good judgement and common sense.

The 39mm dial is fine but the 18mm band looks like I'm wearing a woman's watch. Sometimes small shiny things can look "gaudy" too if inappropriate. Thankfully CW have their excellent 60 day no questions asked returns which is one of the reasons I bought from them.

Anyway a PO might be making its way to me very shortly if I'm lucky.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7,369 of 14,276
At last, managed to capture the tubes glowing!

The "1" is not brighter in real life, I think the camera's focused on it rather than the "2"!

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #7,371 of 14,276
  I'm aware of the traditions but "normal" or standards don't work for everyone. Best to use your own good judgement and common sense.

The 39mm dial is fine but the 18mm band looks like I'm wearing a woman's watch. Sometimes small shiny things can look "gaudy" too if inappropriate. Thankfully CW have their excellent 60 day no questions asked returns which is one of the reasons I bought from them.

Anyway a PO might be making its way to me very shortly if I'm lucky.

You'll LOVE the PO. Mine is the "XL" 46mm, but at 6'5 it looks just perfect on my rather large wrist. 

NK

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #7,373 of 14,276
How does one commission such a piece? 

NK

Just place an order here. It takes a couple of weeks to build it (each one is built to order). I have to say that I have hardly taken it off my wrist. You would think it just a geeky gadget and being large uncomfortable but it is neither! Being made of anodized aluminum it is really light and it fits under a shirt or sweater sleeve really easily. But it is the telling of time that is so great.

I can see why Steve Wozniack says that it works to the order of his brain, reading the time is so intuitive, it really lodges immediately. In truth I thought I would wear it on odd occasions, more of a conversation piece but I find it just so beautifully made ( the way the case top screws down with a lovely metallic feel which is then replaced with a silicone type of resistance near the end as the O'ring cinches down is wonderful and the case is so beautifully made. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum and the machining and fit and finish are to the same aircraft grade level.

When you consider what is out there for the same price this is somewhat of a bargain I feel (can you tell I am hooked! :D)

Here is the link.
http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/order.html

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #7,375 of 14,276
Just place an order here. It takes a couple of weeks to build it (each one is built to order). I have to say that I have hardly taken it off my wrist. You would think it just a geeky gadget and being large uncomfortable but it is neither! Being made of anodized aluminum it is really light and it fits under a shirt or sweater sleeve really easily. But it is the telling of time that is so great.

I can see why Steve Wozniack says that it works to the order of his brain, reading the time is so intuitive, it really lodges immediately. In truth I thought I would wear it on odd occasions, more of a conversation piece but I find it just so beautifully made ( the way the case top screws down with a lovely metallic feel which is then replaced with a silicone type of resistance near the end as the O'ring cinches down is wonderful and the case is so beautifully made. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum and the machining and fit and finish are to the same aircraft grade level.

When you consider what is out there for the same price this is somewhat of a bargain I feel (can you tell I am hooked!
biggrin.gif
)

Here is the link.
http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/order.html

Awesome, thanks. That's way less than I thought it would be. Cool.

NK

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #7,376 of 14,276
$500?! I could have sworn I just saw someone trying to sell a used one on a different forum for $1000 lol. I thought that they would be something like $2k new if the used ones were that much...

There is an Australian company that also makes these but in a different way and they charge more, I think around the $1000 mark. This though is the original Nixie watch as worn by Steve Wozniak. The Australian one has a few more features as well as blue LED backlighting. I prefer just the glow of the tubes and apparently as you will see from the quote below it goes through batteries much faster than the Cathode Corner Nixie watch.

This is a quote from someone who owns both..

"I own both the Cathode Corner and the Kopriso Nixie, the Cathode Corner wins in my opinion. Built like a rock and simple as an anvil. It is large, but wears very nice and is unscratched so far–the Kopriso would scatch with an angry look.
After sitting in a watch case for weeks, the Cathode Corner watch still has the correct time and is ready to go, the Kopriso always needs a new battery and resetting, a real pain, and has at times refused to go off and require battery removal to shut off the display."

Awesome, thanks. That's way less than I thought it would be. Cool.

NK

Your welcome, Hope you enjoy yours if you decide to go for one! I just got some pirate stickers to cover the battery, skull and cross bones and such, I thought it would be in keeping with the fun aspect of this watch! Will post a picture when I have added one!

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7,377 of 14,276
There you go, great Skull and Crossbones sticker to cover up part of the battery!

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #7,378 of 14,276
question:

I hope this is not too pedestrian for this group, but I am looking for some suggestions.;  I currently have on older Casio G-Shock, solar, atomic watch that I got years ago at Target for about $70.  I like it, but always hanker for another watch, but have gotten so spoiled by the almost zero maintenance of the thing, that I end up not buying another watch.  What I'd like is something similar in terms of self-maintenance, but maybe a bit less plastic-looking.  That is, same functionality, better looking, and for less than $300US.  

Any thoughts?  Oh yeah, I do like having the date displayed (day of week is nice too, but not a deal-breaker.)  I am drawn toward the Luminox, but am spoiled in terms of not needing batteries or having to remember to set it back or forward.

Call me lazy and looking.

thanks for reading this.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #7,379 of 14,276
  question:

I hope this is not too pedestrian for this group, but I am looking for some suggestions.;  I currently have on older Casio G-Shock, solar, atomic watch that I got years ago at Target for about $70.  I like it, but always hanker for another watch, but have gotten so spoiled by the almost zero maintenance of the thing, that I end up not buying another watch.  What I'd like is something similar in terms of self-maintenance, but maybe a bit less plastic-looking.  That is, same functionality, better looking, and for less than $300US.

Any thoughts?  Oh yeah, I do like having the date displayed (day of week is nice too, but not a deal-breaker.)  I am drawn toward the Luminox, but am spoiled in terms of not needing batteries or having to remember to set it back or forward.

thanks for reading this.

I hear you.

Someone else posted a pic of one of these a while ago, and I just loved the look. It's solar.
Look back a few pages and you'll see a pic of one with a metal band.

My daily - casual - wear watch is this:

I love it... it's solar and radio-controlled, which means it sets itself to the cesium clock in Boulder. Never has to be set. It is totally maintenance free.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,380 of 14,276
  question:

thanks for reading this.

For very low maintenance, stick with quartz. Most quartz watches are disposable in the sense that if something goes wrong the easiest thing to do is replace the whole movement, but there are some really nice ones out there as well. Grand Seiko's quartzes are designed not to need any maintenance besides battery changes for 50 years, for instance.

In your price range and for those specifications, I'd go with either a Citizen Eco Drive or a Bulova Precisionist (which is actually owned by Citizen and uses their tech). The Eco Drives are also solar powered, and will last for 5 years in the dark without any sun before running out of power. I know they have some radio controlled models, but I'm not sure how much they charge for the cheapest ones. The Precisionists are not solar-powered, but they feature high accuracy movements that are rated for +/-15 seconds a year instead of the usual +/-30 seconds a month. They have some nice features, too, like solid end links on the bracelets and smooth sweeping second hands. I only like a few of their styles, but they're impressive pieces for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back