Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #6,151 of 14,276
Looks like it' s on the way :) I'll let you know when it arrives.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #6,152 of 14,276

Quote:
Nothing yet and it's been half of 7/4 in Spain already. I'm excited to get it, but in no rush really. I've gone 20 years without a watch, whats another day or two.

20 years without a watch. It's going to feel weird on your wrist for a little while. Watch (not "watch") those doorknobs. They are a magnet for attracting nice unscratched watches.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #6,153 of 14,276
Yep, going to take a bit to get used to one again. I still have the mark of having worn one before, though. Right where the watch body sits on my wrist there is less hair and what hair is there is thinner than the rest of my arm, and the skin is slightly redder and not as smooth. Pretty interesting seeing as it's been so long.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #6,154 of 14,276
I rented the remake of The Mechanic last night starring Jason Statham. The first 10 minutes featured some cool gear for the WIS and audio fans.

An Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Alinghi was shown closeup twice and Statham was sporting a Panerai PAM204. Then he goes home to play some vinyl on a beautiful Pro-Ject 9.2 RPM to a McIntosh C22 pre into a Jolida 502BRC tube amp feeding some Pinnacle BD1000 towers. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #6,156 of 14,276
Will you look at that!! A new-style El Primero !
Fantastic... got any case-back shots?

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #6,157 of 14,276
just thought I would add a wrist shot photo of the old Cartier. I am loving this watch including the patina to it.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #6,158 of 14,276

Quote:
Just had to write this note as I am so happy. I just got my first Cartier!
totally unexpected I was passing a jewelers in my neighborhood today and they do estate stuff. I spied a vintage men's tank in the window and went it to have a look.

The watch is around forty years old, one gentleman owner who used to be a championship jockey
The watch has a lovely patina a little discoloration around the edge of the dial that comes with age and the case has the kind of swirls that come with age as well. Lovely manual wind movement that has just been serviced and keeps excellent time. Aftermarket croco strap but original Cartier tang buckle.

It is what we call in the vintage watch world a a good honest piece. Small by today's standards but that is OK as I am lucky in not having a problem going from big to small watches. I just know this one is going to get a lot of wrist time.

So, just got home at took a few shots. For those who like pristine watches look away. For those who like old watches to show a history and patina here you go! (Truth be told if you look at the watch with the naked eye you can hardly see any of the patina, just a lovely creamy dial. Only close up does it really show so these pictures do the watch a disservice!

LOL, i was going to post about "how much you paid" but i had miss read it because i thought you had found it in a trunk.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6,159 of 14,276
LOL, i was going to post about "how much you paid" but i had miss read it because i thought you had found it in a trunk.
bigsmile_face.gif

LOL!

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #6,162 of 14,276
ianmedium, great deal! Old watches with a little patina are the best. I hope you enjoy it. :)

thanks Erik. I know the patina would put some folks off but with vintage it just adds to the history for me. Also with the naked eye one really does not see that much. It is a bit like looking at an old master painting. up close one focuses on all the crackle and discolouration but viewed at the correct distance one just feels the history and richness! I think though I will get the crystal changed at some point. 47 year old eyes have a hard enough time as it is without all the scratches in the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back