Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #421 of 866
Aperio is the way to go. It was evidently superior of the two setup.
After an entire summer of auditioning stuff and becoming brain dead for a period. I have settled on the APERIO and each day I am happier I did. Plus an AIO solution small footprint can’t beat that

Received and set up my long awaited Warwick Acoustic Aperio System. Comes in a massive Pelican case weighing around 45 pounds. It will take days or even weeks to discern the nuances of of what this system can do. I hope to be able to make a few useful comments along the way as I discover the uniqueness of what this system offers. After this, I am declaring a moratorium on headphone purchases for quite a while!
Wow, funny I totally agree. I am deep into discovering what Aperio can do as I have been listening to mine for about two weeks solid and demo’s before that. I am loving my moratorium from purchases as well…..(not sure the industry will appreciate that about the AIO. I continue to get more and more excited by my daily enjoyment and discovery of the quality of Aperio sound. It’s different at first and your need to draw a blink on your past critical listening tracks and start fresh without expectation of what you’re expecting to hear and just listen IMHO. I have been into Audio most of my life. I’m now 70 yrs old and retired. If you get a chance to read the full Aperio brochure/marketing materials I would highly recommend it. In all my years of this hobby I think I can honestly say this is the first time the product actually does what it represents it will do completely no BS. This gear is something I can see my grandson fighting to get when I’m gone..it will still be that good I suspect.

I have not read in any review of the Aperio that it does not have body or dynamics. In fact, I have read the opposite.
Totally agree……it’s outstanding on frankly every level IMHO. Not an influencer for audio but I can’t stop raving about this thing…..an it better be for the cost but it really is a one time investment if you really love music and want to hear it as good as it gets. Like to see Roon certify it as Roon ready so the setup settings are auto etc??

It's nice to hear more and more people get to experience Warwick products. I wrote some impressions from socal canjam last year, and hope folks enjoy reading it.

Bravura is very, very good; on par with the best estat chain I ever heard (X9000, Blue Hawaii, etc). Aperio takes everything to the next level by a fairly big margin. "Eerily real" is the words I kept thinking while listening. Every song gets turned into a binaural recording (if you have experienced those, you know what I'm saying). But that kind of sound may not be for everyone, and may not be a good choice especially for non-critical listening sessions. My WA33 + AHB2 + Susvara, for example, gives a more typical "audiophile sound" - plenty of details, huge soundstage, visceral bass, full and lush across the spectrum. But it's not eerily real.
Totally Agree on Aperio………I am loving mine AIO solution to the finest reproduction I have heard in my 70 years……mic drop

Oh no the HE1 Nomax fanboy with his golden ears….. we know you hate Warwick. but please accept that much people love it as much as the sennheisers. I’m sorry for your 60tsd invest. I don’t believe you a single word. I really love the HE1 but the Aperio are the same league for sure. price wise it’s far better than the HE1 with marble which on every graveyard I can buy for 300 bucks 😂. but keep on the postings it’s so funny to read. I love comedians…
Heard both, have the Aperio………to my ears its quite a bit better especially the low end

Great review. Not just about the Aperio, but insights into so many other things too.

It's too bad given the price that the DAC is not as good as it could be. I have the Bravura and after trying a couple of other DACs (through other headphone systems) I concluded that the DAC in the Bravura is what holds it back. That said, it's still very, very good. But other dedicated DACs are better. I have an older Resolution Audio Cantata (v3) that is better.

I noticed you have the Ferrum Oor too, which so far I don't believe you've reviewed. I've been considering that for the DAC Stealth and Meze Elite, which I also have on hand. The Aperio might be better, but I'm reluctant to go all in on one system (not to mention that price). I kind of like having options, depending on genre and mood. The comments on the ZMF Atrium were interesting (and compelling) as I have no experience with that brand.

I can see a really nice simple system with the Aperio and a good pair of powered speakers like the Genelec G Three.
Hi, I have the Aperio. I also have a Lina Dac. I started out that way. Now after many hours listening and dropping preconceived critical listening memory I only use the Aperio with its internal DAC. It’s so much about the integration in the design of this unit that it really is much closer to which i would call “real” sounding. It is different but honestly the Lina Dac which I love is unplugged now as I prefer Aperio AIO synergy approach within the chain. I had both to try this for weeks so I feel confident in saying this. Aperio Dac is not just good but the perfectly designed fit as was their intention in design and build.

I see you also own Dave. Personally, there's no way i would get a T2, it's just too big. Maybe an Eksonic Aeras +x9000? An Aperio would be a more tempting solution though.
Just got Aperio….highest end lowest footprint…….that alone is pretty impressive….not to mention the sound is flat out the best my ears have heard on all sorts of equipment for 70 years

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #422 of 866
Hi, I have the Aperio. I also have a Lina Dac. I started out that way. Now after many hours listening and dropping preconceived critical listening memory I only use the Aperio with its internal DAC. It’s so much about the integration in the design of this unit that it really is much closer to which i would call “real” sounding. It is different but honestly the Lina Dac which I love is unplugged now as I prefer Aperio AIO synergy approach within the chain. I had both to try this for weeks so I feel confident in saying this. Aperio Dac is not just good but the perfectly designed fit as was their intention in design and build.
A strength of the Aperio is that even though it sounds fantastic with built in DAC and no EQ, sometimes, depending on mood and recording quality I want to vary the sound a little. I have done this with using a Mola Mola Tambaqui into the Aperio and the result is a different flavor. Some of the early music classical I listen too is not well recorded so I like to play around with using the MMT to vary the sound. One thing about the Aperio is that I have not seen the need to EQ it. The built in DSP seems to keep the frequency response in line. Registers don't stick out or recede. It is very balanced. And, depending on the recording, the Aperio can produce surprisingly good, deep and textured bass.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #423 of 866
I have had the Aperio since Feb and I can honestly say, as an owner of several other TOTL headphones, that this system is in a league of its own. Moreover, the company is exemplary in their willingness to work with customers if there is a question or issue. When you consider that you have a top notch DAC, preamp, amp and headphone system, the cost makes more sense. No other headphone I own reveals the music like the Aperio. Finally, when listening, I forget about the equipment and just listen to the music. Absolutely one of the best purchases I have ever made in this hobby.
I could not agree more……..best audio purchase sound reproduction system I have ever heard and I have heard decades full of high end stuff. It’s different and appears to still not be well known (i guess that’s part of the price point ) But as you point out its deceiving IMHO as an AIO. It design and build is packed full of TOTL integrated internals all focused to an end output and it achieves it. Relative to several systems that cost twice as much BTW

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #424 of 866
Just got Aperio….highest end lowest footprint…….that alone is pretty impressive….not to mention the sound is flat out the best my ears have heard on all sorts of equipment for 70 years
I'm holding out for better planars to go with my HM1 that should be here next week :p Also too much of a dac-head to go with HE1 or Aperio.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #425 of 866
I'm holding out for better planars to go with my HM1 that should be here next week :p Also too much of a dac-head to go with HE1 or Aperio.
I had and then shortly sold the Bravura system. The main reasons were the clamping force and the DAC section didn't seem as natural to me as my Holo.
I'm a little apprehensive with all-in-ones.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #426 of 866
I had and then shortly since the Bravura system. The main reasons were the clamping force and the DAC section didn't seem as natural to me as my Holo.
I'm a little apprehensive with all-in-ones.
I would give the Ca-1a a chance, they are incredible with Mitch's filters and the Star-8 cable.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #427 of 866
I would give the Ca-1a a chance, they are incredible with Mitch's filters and the Star-8 cable.
Thank you for the recommendation. I loved the Bravura sound. I'm trying to get away from conventional headphone technology and want to go into something a little more exotic or esoteric. So the CA1A looks very intriguing.

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #428 of 866
Thank you for the recommendation. I loved the Bravura sound. I'm trying to get away from conventional headphone technology and want to go into something a little more exotic or esoteric. So the CA1A looks very intriguing.
Yeah @adrianm recommendation to try the CA-1a is a good one. I also got rid of the Bravura due to the strong clamping force that never abated. If one can resolve the clamping force I regard it as one of the best value propositions in this hobby.

CA-1a with star8 cable and filters have very similar levels of detail and speed, but I believe the CA-1a will have a much more expansive soundstage.

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #429 of 866
Yeah @adrianm recommendation to try the CA-1a is a good one. I also got rid of the Bravura due to the strong clamping force that never abated. If one can resolve the clamping force I regard it as one of the best value propositions in this hobby.

CA-1a with star8 cable and filters have very similar levels of detail and speed, but I believe the CA-1a will have a much more expansive soundstage.
I feel exactly the same way. If they could just do something about the clamping force, or if my attempts to stretch it worked, I would have kept it and sold my Susvara.

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #430 of 866
Just got a pair, listening right now.
Wow... these are impressive headphones. VERY VERY fast but not sterile like some of the Stax. Also the DSP must be boosting the bass as these go very low, but incredibly balanced. The stage isn't very large but the extreme detail make up for that, difficult to have both I've found. I find them very musical and engaging but my preferred sound has always been transparency, detail, speed. They have some similarities to 1266 tc but I find them more balanced, you don't have the upper end brightness or the somewhat wonky mids of 1266. The Abyss of course are crazy spacious and the bass slams. These go deep but don't "slam".

Good stuff, another flavor of headphone to enjoy. Absolutely top tier flagship grade (they better be for 6k)

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #431 of 866
Just got a pair, listening right now.
Wow... these are impressive headphones. VERY VERY fast but not sterile like some of the Stax. Also the DSP must be boosting the bass as these go very low, but incredibly balanced. The stage isn't very large but the extreme detail make up for that, difficult to have both I've found. I find them very musical and engaging but my preferred sound has always been transparency, detail, speed. They have some similarities to 1266 tc but I find them more balanced, you don't have the upper end brightness or the somewhat wonky mids of 1266. The Abyss of course are crazy spacious and the bass slams. These go deep but don't "slam".

Good stuff, another flavor of headphone to enjoy. Absolutely top tier flagship grade (they better be for 6k)
Yes, the Bravura system is ridiculously good, and I will be Frank here, for, a ridiculously cheap price considering the sound quality you get.
Like I said before, if only the clamping force wasn't so bad for me...

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #432 of 866
in a moment of insanity I bent the headband out... had to apply a LOT of force.....
and then SNAP....

just kidding.... clamping force is WAY better now. really love these headphones.

I traded my Susvara for the Bravura, cool trade for the both of us.

The other headphone to try is the Meze Elite running off a class D speaker amp (purifi or hypex based) .. omg... so much fun....

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #433 of 866
in a moment of insanity I bent the headband out... had to apply a LOT of force.....
and then SNAP....

just kidding.... clamping force is WAY better now. really love these headphones.

I traded my Susvara for the Bravura, cool trade for the both of us.

The other headphone to try is the Meze Elite running off a class D speaker amp (purifi or hypex based) .. omg... so much fun....
What did you use to bend it and how long did it take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back