WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #526 of 1,210
I would agree with Amazon as a choice, I used NCIX because I live in Canada and they sell in Canada, otherwise I would have likely used Amazon.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #527 of 1,210
Apr 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #528 of 1,210
Quote:

...benefit of being sold directly from Amazon, who is an authorized Sennheiser dealer.

It’s very good to know this. Thank you.

bolinao,

It seems that if an EBay, or other site, seller doesn’t state, categorically, that it is an “authorized Sennheiser dealer,” (and also confirms it via e-mail before buying from them) the odds are great for receiving a fake IE8. The seller you linked states this at the top of his ad, but it may be prudent to write and ask for confirmation. (What would bother me, maybe unnecessarily, is that the EBay site is Australian, the seller is selling out of Salina, Kansas.[?]) Also, pictures can’t be trusted for the sake of authenticity as they are always the same in all ads.

Seems like the situation with fakes is of epidemic proportions. Are other brands of high-fidelity IEMs (Westone, Triple-Fi, Shure, Monster, etc.) encountering similar problems?

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #529 of 1,210
Glad I could help.

Most of the other vendors do not seem to have problems with counterfeiting because they are smaller or more specialized, not as well-known, and in most cases use balanced armature designs, which tend to be more difficult use when counterfeiting.

Sennheiser is a very well-known global brand, and because they use dynamic drivers across their IEMs, it makes it easier to counterfeit and get these into multiple sales channels. Monster, which also uses dynamics, is stating that you should be careful with purchasing from authorized dealers because it is relatively easy to get a counterfeit that uses a low-quality driver in a replica housing.

Shure has had some counterfeiting issues (there is a sticky thread here on Head-Fi from Matt Engstrom at Shure explaining this), but Senn seems to be seeing the bulk of the problem right now.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #531 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambosenior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s very good to know this. Thank you.

bolinao,

It seems that if an EBay, or other site, seller doesn’t state, categorically, that it is an “authorized Sennheiser dealer,” (and also confirms it via e-mail before buying from them) the odds are great for receiving a fake IE8. The seller you linked states this at the top of his ad, but it may be prudent to write and ask for confirmation. (What would bother me, maybe unnecessarily, is that the EBay site is Australian, the seller is selling out of Salina, Kansas.[?]) Also, pictures can’t be trusted for the sake of authenticity as they are always the same in all ads.

Seems like the situation with fakes is of epidemic proportions. Are other brands of high-fidelity IEMs (Westone, Triple-Fi, Shure, Monster, etc.) encountering similar problems?

Although he said in an email he is an authorized seller,some things dont add up,when i asked him if his senn ie8 phones were OEM he replied "Of course they are,i am an authorized senn seller"
tongue.gif
,also he said "We are an authorized dealer and can be found on sennheisers website for
US dealers under recording services and supply",but i cant find any reference to him or a "recording service and supply" page.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #532 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolinao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although he said in an email he is an authorized seller,some things dont add up,when i asked him if his senn ie8 phones were OEM he replied "Of course they are,i am an authorized senn seller"
tongue.gif
,also he said "We are an authorized dealer and can be found on sennheisers website for
US dealers under recording services and supply",but i cant find any reference to him or a "recording service and supply" page.

You need to use search function from Sennheisers website

Those were steps I did, go to this page
Sennheiser USA - Dealer Locator

Step 1.) Please choose a product category; choose "Microphone and professional Audio"
Step 2.) Search for local store close to you
Step 3.) Enter a city/state: SALINA, KS, United States (from the ebay listing.)

"Results of search near SALINA, KS Number of results found: 1

Recording Services & Supply
1117 State Street
Salina, KS 67401
Phone: (785) 820-7243
This dealer carries the following product types:
Microphones & Professional Audio 0.0 miles
View Map

(The phone number matches ebay listing, do call the number to be sure.)

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #534 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to use search function from Sennheisers website

Those were steps I did, go to this page
Sennheiser USA - Dealer Locator

Step 1.) Please choose a product category; choose "Microphone and professional Audio"
Step 2.) Search for local store close to you
Step 3.) Enter a city/state: SALINA, KS, United States (from the ebay listing.)

"Results of search near SALINA, KS Number of results found: 1

Recording Services & Supply
1117 State Street
Salina, KS 67401
Phone: (785) 820-7243
This dealer carries the following product types:
Microphones & Professional Audio 0.0 miles
View Map

(The phone number matches ebay listing, do call the number to be sure.)

Thanks for the help
beerchug.gif
i sent an email to the store asking them if they had an ebay store and their id..hopefully that will do it...

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #535 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call Sennheiser and get an email from them stating they have no OEM sales of their product and use that as part of your claim with Ebay/PayPal and contact the seller at the same time. If the seller says you were supposed to return them in 7 days then use Ebay/Paypal's claim process based on the seller's false claim of genuine Sennheiser products. I will bet the seller give you a refund to protect his ebay selling rights.

Razordog sells real IE8 on Ebay I believe.

If your in US/Canada also check out NCIX, they are definitely authorized and have fairly reasonable prices.

The first email i sent her asking for a refund (yes it was a women seller) she ignored,i sent her another message about 5 hours ago threatening to make a claim through ebay asking for a refund and telling the seller i had enough evidence to win my claim and guess what i just got a full refund
smile.gif
and i also get to keep the fakes...Big thanks also to the members here for all your help
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #536 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolinao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first email i sent her asking for a refund (yes it was a women seller) she ignored,i sent her another message about 5 hours ago threatening to make a claim through ebay asking for a refund and telling the seller i had enough evidence to win my claim and guess what i just got a full refund
smile.gif
and i also get to keep the fakes...Big thanks also to the members here for all your help
beerchug.gif

Yeah, that more or less convinces them to pay up haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by NullZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody with fake IE8's comment on bass quantity/quality and if you are able to distort the bass quickly, without effort?

Perhaps use Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip?

If you have the time :p

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #537 of 1,210
Great news Balinao. I suggest holding on to the fakes and use them to help others determine fakes. But I also suggest not posting alot of fake versus non fake pictures as they are hard to determine and really do help the counterfeiters get better at making fakes. Personally I just deal with people 1 on 1 and through this thread when I have the time.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #538 of 1,210
Has anyone bought IE 8's from Recording Services & Supply and what was your experience ?they are based out of Kansas,i just bought a pair from them and am waiting for their arrival ,they are definitely an authorized Sennhieser dealer,i have checked it out,i just bought a fake pair from ebay so i am paranoid about my second pair...any one know about them ? also has anyone heard of authorized Sennhieser dealers selling fakes ?...thanks

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #540 of 1,210
My second pair of ie8's arrived today and i would like the experts to let me know if they are fakes or real,i posted some pics,i am fairly certain they are real,as i bought them from a authorized Sennheiser dealer on ebay.
They have the red cable/chip thing on the right earphone.
The face on the the inside of the lid is more natural and colorful than the fake one i bought,i have posted a pic of them side by side with the confirmed fake face on the right.Also it seems that Sennheiser have changed the layout of the inside of the lid as it shows 3 adapters together and one by itself,as opposed to the old one where they had two and two,or could this be a sight of a fake ?? (i hope not).
Please let me know what you think...thanks
14215155.jpg

92485137.jpg

35854011.jpg

caseu.jpg

redwt.jpg

sidezm.jpg

bbtm.jpg

face1u.jpg

openx.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back