Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
May 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #361 of 408
This is a very useful information and I would like to thank N_maher for being a good citizen. My friend owned Singlepower Extreme and as of now, it is still doing okay, so far. Maybe, there was just some singlepower that was not made coherently. Or maybe, the owner of any amps should be always aware and informative regarding their amps.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #362 of 408
I had my tech complete the transformer swap and check over the rest of the amp. It received a clean bill of health. I went with the Electra Print transformer and I love the way it looks sitting on an angle parallel to the tubes and exposed for the entire world to see. I allowed the amp to burn in for the last month. The improvement in sound quality was very evident from its former condition. It is dead silent and neutral; all I hear now is the music as it should be. I will definitely be keeping this amp for a long time, now that the sound quality has improved. I was hesitant to change out the transformer, as the sound quality was good as far as I could tell. However, when I cracked open the case and removed the transformer cover I found a transformer that was beginning to fry and on its way to an early death. Therefore, anyone who has hesitated to make the repairs to their own amp thinking there is nothing wrong, you will not be disappointed once you hear the improvement in SQ and know that your SP Extreme is now safe to use. Thank you to all of those who provided input on the repairs for their own SP Extreme.  Thank you to n_maher, kevin gilmore, Bolder, mourip and Skylab for your help enabling me to repair mine. Your advice helped me make the correct decisions when deciding how to turn my Singlepower Extreme into a Head-Fi Extreme.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #365 of 408
Thanks, I am enjoying it every chance I get. Its definitely worth the effort and cost to repair and upgrade these amps.
beyersmile.png

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #367 of 408

Quote:
Another alternative might be to use a transformer cover. If you have the room, these might work for you. At least they are reasonably priced.

Help needed. Does anyone know of other sources for a transformer cover on my stock Extreme?
The link above is in China, and I would like to deal with a U.S. company, if possible.
I will be putting in the edcor transformer mentioned in this thread.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
John D.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #368 of 408
You can get a nice one from ElectraPrint.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #369 of 408

Quote:
You can get a nice one from ElectraPrint.

After being in contact with Jack about purchasing one his transformers, and being told he no longer makes and sells them,
I'm not too sure he would still be selling covers for them. He was my first choice for a transformer. His website states effective
immediately we no longer build power transformers and power chokes. He told me that he can't afford the price of copper, said
the Chinese are driving up the price.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #370 of 408
Wow.  Bummer. Did not know that. Sorry.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #372 of 408
Edcor might have something too. 
http://www.edcorusa.com/Products.aspx

edit: I see you are already working with them on the transformer, and it looks like they only provide unpainted steel end bells for DIY. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #373 of 408

Quote:
Edcor might have something too. 
http://www.edcorusa.com/Products.aspx

edit: I see you are already working with them on the transformer, and it looks like they only provide unpainted steel end bells for DIY. 

Yes, I already have the edcor transformer (painted blue bells), it took about 3 weeks to get after placing the order.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #374 of 408

Quote:
Some of these might work. 

Thanks for the link, went ahead and ordered from them. Attached are some photos of before and after my amp was fixed.

This amp sounds better now than it ever has. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #375 of 408
With the new transformer you might want to adjust the value of the resistor to set the tubes at 6.3 VDC
after it has been on for 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back