warmish cables for k701
Apr 17, 2007 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

botching

Head-Fier
Still burning in a k701 using HG silver interconnect cables. The sound is a bit bright at this time though I believe further breakin in might reduce this slight brightness.
For users of k701 ,what copper based interconnects can you recommend for a more warmer sound ?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 23
The warmest amp I've tried, and which mate well with the AKG house sound, is the limited-edition Meier Audio Headfive (a predecessor to the current Arietta). The Heed CanAmp, which I tried briefly, sounded warm (and syrupy) and drove the K701 nicely. Much further up the price chain is the Graham Slee Solo, which has a magic synergy with AKGs and truly brings life to these headphones (bass is so alive and it gives the full sensation of 'being there'). It is a very neutral piece of amp however and won't suit your criteria for 'warm'-sounding amps.

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 23
thanks. Will do some research on the amps that you've just mentioned. I believe an all tube amp will be a good match to the k701 to to give more weight and density to the bass. Damn! getting synergy in a headphones setup is as challenging as when when using speakers!
I also dont think that silver interconnects are good match for these akg's.
Neutral cables like audience au24 perhaps might be more suitable.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 23
of the SS state amps I have owned and tried, the Heed was mated best with my 701s. It is warm and has plenty of juice to maximize the AKGs capabilities.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of the SS state amps I have owned and tried, the Heed was mated best with my 701s. It is warm and has plenty of juice to maximize the AKGs capabilities.

Wayne, which other amps did you try with the 701s? could you describe your findings with them. thanks

to the OP, others have reported good results with some of the chinese tube amps such as doge, bada, and little dot.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 23
I bet those all tube amps using tubes in the signal inputs and power output will really fleshed out the some times lean sounding bass of k701! Careful choice of amp and interconnects is much required to bring out the best qualities of these cans
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The warmest amp I've tried, and which mate well with the AKG house sound, is the limited-edition Meier Audio Headfive (a predecessor to the current Arietta).

Would the new Meier Arietta have that same warmness that the older Headfive had...or are they 2 different animals?

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the new Meier Arietta have that same warmness that the older Headfive had...or are they 2 different animals?

that's a good question. i'm not sure if anyone other than dr. meier has actually heard the 2 amps, although there's a lot of speculation that they are quite similar.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 23
I'm currently using a DIY Dynalo (which is the same as the Gilmore Lite) with my K701. It sounds a bit lean, but that's probably due to the AD1852 DAC in my Zhaolu. The clarity is unbelievable! Lately, though, I have been wondering how the Headfive (or the new Arietta) would sound....

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 23
how many hours you got on that akg 701? mine didnt warm up till the 200 hr mark and after 300 started to be a much more open and warm sound, but the first 100 hrs were touch and go for me. i almost sent them back twice. glad i kept them they are my favorite so far.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have to "loosen up" the K701s by playing 2Hz sine waves at maximum travel

K701's definitley need burn in! I'm burning in a new set right now.
Out of the box I could not listen to these! I've had them hooked
up to my FM tuner running 24 hrs a day for 5 days so far. Just now
they are becoming listenable. I'm definitley going to keep these, they
do need some more burn in though. Listening to a cowboy junkies cd right
now (long journey home) they are definitely starting to sound GOOD!

Get yourself a tube amp, you will be glad you did with these phones.

JD
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have to "loosen up" the K701s by playing 2Hz sine waves at maximum travel

I don't recommend this. I tried it and my wallpaper started peeling off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back