Warmer complimentary headphone to Sennheiser HD800S
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Khitzi

New Head-Fier
I’m looking to get a second pair of headphones that will compliment my Sennheiser HD800S. I want something a bit warmer sounding for electronica or rock music.

I currently use a Burson Conductor 3 Reference dac/amplifier and Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. I’m looking to get a pair of headphones in the same sort of quality range as the HD800S.

Any suggestions? :)

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Look into the ZMF Atticus. It should pair up well with your gear and is basically the exact opposite of the HD800. Warm, musical with strong midbass slam and texture. Oh and the wood work is pretty good too. :wink:

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 14
Left field recommendation: Hyland Audio Jupiter One. I'd describe it much as Monsterzero did the Atticus... But it's made by an English guy in a shed, which makes it cooler. :wink:

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Focal Clear.

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Look into the ZMF Atticus. It should pair up well with your gear and is basically the exact opposite of the HD800. Warm, musical with strong midbass slam and texture. Oh and the wood work is pretty good too. :wink:
Yeah, I had looked at the ZMF headphones, though not particularly those ones. Any idea how different the Atticus and Aeolus are from each other? I usually prefer an open back headphone, but I'm not against closed if helps the sonic characteristics of this pair.

Left field recommendation: Hyland Audio Jupiter One. I'd describe it much as Monsterzero did the Atticus... But it's made by an English guy in a shed, which makes it cooler. :wink:
Wow, I've honestly never heard of these. Will take a closer look - thanks!

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I had looked at the ZMF headphones, though not particularly those ones. Any idea how different the Atticus and Aeolus are from each other? I usually prefer an open back headphone, but I'm not against closed if helps the sonic characteristics of this pair.
Theyre very, very similar sounding, with the Atticus having slightly more slam and slightly less staging width vs Aeolus. You cant go wrong with either.

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 14
I would check Audeze, although I have found some of their headphones to cause listening fatigue quickly - especially when compared to the 800S.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 14
I’m looking to get a second pair of headphones that will compliment my Sennheiser HD800S. I want something a bit warmer sounding for electronica or rock music.

I currently use a Burson Conductor 3 Reference dac/amplifier and Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. I’m looking to get a pair of headphones in the same sort of quality range as the HD800S.

Any suggestions? :)
Given that you state “electronica or rock music”, I assume that dynamics and ‘slam’ are important to you. So, for those and a little warmth: Focal Clear.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 14
I also think the Focal Clear is a good complimentary headphone to the HD800S.
I have compared the two quite extensively before going for the Clears.

I loved the detail, clarity and huge stage of the HD800S, and if they'd been the same price I might have gone for the HD800S, although I feel it's a "specialty" headphone. Brilliant for some music (some classical) but maybe a little picky, thin and too open for other music.
The Clears are warmer, very balanced, more intimate. But still with good imaging.

Since the original Clears are being discontinued there were some very good deals around.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 14
I also think the Focal Clear is a good complimentary headphone to the HD800S.
I have compared the two quite extensively before going for the Clears.

I loved the detail, clarity and huge stage of the HD800S, and if they'd been the same price I might have gone for the HD800S, although I feel it's a "specialty" headphone. Brilliant for some music (some classical) but maybe a little picky, thin and too open for other music.
The Clears are warmer, very balanced, more intimate. But still with good imaging.

Since the original Clears are being discontinued there were some very good deals around.
and very punchy bass.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Audeze LCD X can present a different flavor to the HD800S, the Clear and Arya are similar to the Sennheiser in my opinion (except for the bass) Definitely the Audeze can give you a more relax sound in comparison to the 800s when you need it.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 14
(Mass)Drop HD6XX or, buy the original HD650. Get tired of the HD800 blistering detail, then bathe in the luxurious, smooth sound of the HD650. Swapping back and forth is a regular habit with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back